Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Need help with alignment parts

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 04:26 PM

Default Need help with alignment parts

Hey guys I'm new to the forum and I really need help with my 2006 xB. it's been lowered with tien suspension and has 17 with stretched wheels, these wheels are about two months old so fairly new and yesterday I found that the inner sides of the front tires are completely bald. So I took it to the shop and was told I need an alignment (which I already knew) but what threw me off guard is he said I need adjustable control arms and I can't seem to find any and I'm not sure if he is correct so if anyone has any knowledge it would be greatly appreciated
Old 10-12-2016, 12:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Interesting problem. I have a 2006 xB with the 1.5" Tein lowering springs all the way around and 16" wheels & tires. I have had zero issues with tire wear since I installed them 2 years ago. I did have the alignment checked after the install and everything was just fine. Do you have more drop in your springs than I have maybe?
Old 10-12-2016, 12:41 AM

if the picture you have in your garage is accurate it looks like we have about the same drop, im not 100% on the details i bought mine off crags list and didnt get much specs about it other than the tein suspension, (i think it might be a 1.5 or a 2 inch drop) coldair intake and it being wired for a system, i also know that my wheels are a little cambered so im buying a camber kit tonight

Last edited by Boogiewri; 10-12-2016 at 01:21 AM.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I gave your issues some more thought and may have an answer for you. Theoretically, when you lower an xB (with a strut front suspension), you raise the lower control arm slightly. (Ask your Geometry teacher why.) If you do that, the lower control arm's position relative to the ground goes from running slightly downward (from the inside of the car to the point where it attaches to the strut) to being more level with the ground. If you trace the arc, that means the lower part of your suspension moves out just a bit too. If you couple that with wider tires - especially those with more of a "square" sidewall profile - you'd end up wearing out the inside of the tire more quickly than with a stock suspension & tires.

So if you lowered yours more than mine or have tires that are wider or with a more square sidewall profile, that would explain it. I think.