Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Parts still available for Scions? Want Gen1 xB, worried about parts availability

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 04:24 PM

Default Parts still available for Scions? Want Gen1 xB, worried about parts availability

I've searched this topic on the forums and only found many people commenting about how good or bad each of the Scion models were and how they will miss a certain model, but nothing about if Toyota will continue to manufacture parts.

My current car is 22 years old and its time to retire it. I'm considering buying a 2005 1st Gen Scion xB with 213,000 miles. It appears to be in good condition from the owners photos and for sale listing description. All other issues about buying a used car with over 200,000 miles on it aside, I'm really concerned about if I will be able to get parts for this vehicle for the next decade. I"m ok with driving an old car and dealing with the maintenance that comes with it. I really like the cargo room and decent fuel economy that comes with the xB. I'd be happy to drive this thing for the next 10 years.

I've been advised not to buy it since Toyota has killed the Scion brand and this person says it is likely I will have great difficulty buying wear and tear replacement parts for it when I need them in the course of the next few years. Does anyone have any experiences with difficulty getting parts so far in 2017 once the brand was officially discontinued?

Thank you for your help!
Old 01-06-2018, 07:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You should have no problems finding both OEM and aftermarket parts for any Scion product for many years to come. First of all, Toyota is a very reputable manufacturer that takes very good care of its customers, so they will not simply drop all Scion parts. Second, most Scion parts are actually Toyota parts anyway. (Check the packaging.) And finally, manufacturers have a legal responsibility to continue to service and supply parts for discontinued brands for I believe 10 years after the brand is discontinued. (You can still easily find parts for Mercury, Pontiac, Hummer and many other brands.)
Old 01-08-2018, 01:59 AM

I stopped in at Advance Auto this weekend and asked one of the employees there this question. He told me that he was confident parts would be available and they could get them. He said, they still can get Daewoo parts which was completely discontinued around 2000. He thought there would be plenty of aftermarket parts available for the foreseeable future. Thanks for your help!