Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Would you buy a Scion again?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 09:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Absolutly I would. I like the car. I wish it had a few more HP but all in all it is a good car for us. It looks cool, Has a ton of room. Gets good gas mileage. And has a bunch of standard features including Stabilty control & abs. No other car in its class competes. If they sold one with the 1.8L and 6spd I could replace my truck with it. Its just lacks the pep to pull a trailer so thats the only reason I keep the ranger. Well that and the ranger is paid for. In 4 more years when the bike is paid off we may buy another scion. I am very impressed so far with ours. The biggest down side I can find on the car is availablity of 5spd xB's.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

is this a Neon forum? Who really gives a rats a$$ about the Neon. The whole subject of this forum is to see if you would buy a Scion again. Yes or No... Simple as that. No need to bash, if you don't like it, just say no. Yes the Scion is cheap and under powered, but we all knew that. For the money, it is the best buy in its segment.
Old 05-24-2004, 10:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't know. Line up a Matrix, Protege 5, and the XB and I could take any one of them.
I have no issues with my XB and like it enough not to want to trade it in, but I think I would feel just the same with the Matrix or Protege 5.
Old 05-24-2004, 11:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No more neon talk guys. Lets refocus on the question at hand. There has been good input on both the positives and negative. Lets keep that going. This has been a good thread. I don't want to see it locked.
Old 05-24-2004, 11:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes i would buy one again but next time just stock the add ons really cost alot and it would of been cheaper if I would of done it myself but my wife was to impatient so we got all the extras and now we have a car payment of 498 a month I also got the extended warrenty witch will last the life of the loan and uped for the extra insurence so if it gets stolen I pay nothing for a new one. Some of the things we added were 16 inch chrome wheels,spoiler,AEM cold air,rear bumper applique (witch is turning white already after 2 months) ,Door stills, 6 disc cd changer,(waste of money would rather put my own in) floor mats (there wareing away already) scion secruity system,cruise control (wouldent live without) and thats it. But stock is that way to go.Other than that I love my Xb, you can check it out in the registry.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes definitely.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:32 AM
5 Year Member

I have a black ep3. I'll post pics when I get the kit installed.(only if you guys want me to)

Mods.
Mugen front lip (replica)
Type R side skirts (replica)
Type R rear lip (replica)
Tein S. Tech springs
AEM V2 intake
DIY black housing headlights

future mods.
CF mugen wing
maybe rota circuit 10's in silver or bronze???
greddy evo2 exhaust or HKS hi-power

here is a pic of my totaled scion. R.I.P. Dec. 2003

Old 06-02-2004, 10:19 AM
Banned
SL Member

Default The theory of relativity

Originally Posted by bigbadhater
no i wouldnt. performance became a big issue for me. I thought i could live with its 108 hp but after a while it was unbearable for me. if i could do it all over i would of got something else. just my opinion.
This makes me smile. See, I been driving a Model T Ford as primary transportatoin in a major big ___ city. And I got really used to 20HP/100 foot pounds of torque. I moved along with traffic OK except on the interstate where the 80 year old Model T topped out at 50 to 55.

Now that the T is dead- T-boned by a bone headed Lexus driver, I am getting the Scion Xb real soon. I took a couple of test drives.

WOW WHAT POWER! by comparison that is, and that is my personal theory of relativity. My other car is a Subaru SVX. Goes fast- had it at 140 indicated one time. But IF you got a car that gives fun in some other way- accelleration is really of small importance. The Model T taught me that much. Even in a Model T I coulc scoot around the typically half-witted cell phone drivers.

With the USA now owned by Arabs and Halliburton I think we should feel real good to use as little gasoline as we find convenient to not use. That means how low in HP can you go? Personal choice there. But by reverse training of expectations the Model T (2,000 pounds loaded) taught me that I could live with less than a quarter of the HP of a Scion Xb.

Padon this ramble, but I'm saying further about the power issue, that, if Scion offered a smaller engine the car would get better milage yet, esp. in City driving. And so I'd go smaller, more underpowered yet, becuase a) am used to it and b) there ain't no hills here.

Gasoline is still rising to a new high. It is entirely likely that terrorists will succeed in some dastardly attack just before the Nov. elections that will further raise fuel prices to a new historic high. Then who will be lauging at the drivers of all those Terrormobiles as I call gas sucking SUV's??

We will, that's who.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:50 AM
Banned
SL Member

Default About the crashed Xb

Yikes, what excues does Scion have for the failure to deploy the airbags?

As it is- I see by he pic and by your continued existance that crumple zone energy absorbtion and your wearing the seat belt saved your life anyway.

Thinking of all the cars I've owned in my half century of luck to be alive, how many of these would've let me walk away intact after a head on at that HIGH speed of over thirty mph? (just reminding that a header at even 10 per is an ENORMOUS conversion of kinetic energy to kinetic sculpture

1) '61 push button tranny Dodge with slant six and metal dash and no seat belts 2) '65 LTD with big, stupid 390 ci engine and 11,000 mile brakes tires, idler arm and water pump. It died in a 60mph broadside, btw. 3) '55 MB 190SL no seat belts or top or rollover bar. 4) '65 VW beetle. Seat belts but it rolled over. No fun in that. 5) '81 VW Rabbitt (golf) with diesel engine bought new during the second gas price crisis. No power, but I laughed at the pumps. 6) '85 Dodge Colt Vista Wagon (mitsubisti). Nearly the last of the cars with carburator and no clear coat. 7) '91 Subaru SVX. A great car but died due to stupid marketing. the Model T mentioned in last post. It is/was a '22 coupe right out of Laurel and Hardy comedies.

What a strange list of cars, huh? You bet! I like -different- stuff than mainstream like all Scion people.

Yet, to save my life like the Xb saved your life in that frontal, only the SVX would've given me a chance to walk away.

And then, only if the airbag deployed (has only one, btw).

So- despite this Scion's serious failure to deploy the airbag I'd say it's quite a good thing to be riding in a Scion in the event of a head on, than in any of my previous cars. Why, in that Subaru with its low nose if I rear ended a Hummer they'd be scraping my brains off the Hummer's undercarriage next day. Not much work in that job I guess...

Scion should be very interested in explaining WHY your airbag did not deploy. Have they asked you about it? Did you report to the corporate office? What do they say at Scion?
Old 06-02-2004, 01:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Definately...

without question