Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

2009 xb with bad coils

Old 05-22-2011, 12:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 2009 xb with bad coils

After installing my new valve cover I went to start my car and found that it was only running on 2 cylinders. Not a good thing. So I started unplugging the coil packs to find out what ones weren’t working. 2 of them were not firing. After running for about 3 minutes I finally got a check engine light. Got these codes:
P0300
P0302
P0304
P0352
P0354
And also:
P0102
P0113
I had it towed to the dealer that had a spot open on a Saturday. After about 5 hours they called me back and said they will replace all 4 coil packs and all 4 spark plugs under warranty. I told them I was low on coolant and to see if the water pump was leaking. They did and found pink residue on the pump. The strange thing is that the manager has to inspect it Monday to see if they will replace it or not. WTF? They just told me it is in fact leaking and there not sure if they will replace it or not? It’s covered under warranty so why the hell not? I also told them to fix the squeaking dash problem (finally lol) so on Monday i will find out if I get a new water pump or not.
i even put the stock valve cover back on to make sure it wasent the new valve cover( from a tc)
I have read many times on this forum about the water pump issue along with the bad coil packs. I’m at 31k, so everything that’s going to break better do it now lol.
The codes P0102, P0113 were fixed by me cleaning the maf sensor.
If anyone sees that there low on coolant at such low miles I would get it looked at along with the coli packs tested. Hope this info will help people out.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

got my car back. they did replace all 4 coils and spark plugs, also the water pump. they told me that toyota will not replace the pump if it is not leaking enough. lol a leak is a leak. but what ever. my pump must have been leaking "enough"
Old 05-25-2011, 04:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bizarre -- still, good that it's all fixed. Thanks for sharing !
Old 05-25-2011, 06:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The coil-pack went bad after replacing the valve cover?
Old 05-25-2011, 07:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jnaval
The coil-pack went bad after replacing the valve cover?
thats what i though but i put on the stock cover and it still dident work. they must have just failed at the same time i was changing the cover.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How did you manage to fit a TC valve cover with XB coil packs? The XB coils are longer and the valve covers do not interchange. Possibly why all 4 coil packs went bad at the same time. You may have cracked them when you tightened them down.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh yeah! I'm now remembering the tC and xB covers are not interchangeable. Still, at least he got the waterpump taken care of. I guess Toyota ate the coil packs, but they cost them a whole lot less than they cost us, so I guess it's a learning moment for us owners. Thanks for pointing that out, Fred ! (And also thanks for exonerating Toyota, better to snuff miss-info than to propagate it.)
Old 05-26-2011, 05:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks Speaking of exonerating Toyota, did anyone notice how the final conclusion to the front page news about the Toyota unintended acceleration witch hunt was buried 10 pages deep and that NASA concluded that aside from a few cases of improperly installed floor mats, the root cause in all cases was determined to be operator error? (the driver hit the gas instead of the brake!) That NASA could not find anything wrong with any components of the DBW system?

This reminds me sooo much of the Audi 5000 Crucifixion years ago when 60-60 paid someone to rig an Audi 5000 with special electronics to cause SUI and then aired it without mention of the special mods. In the end the only cause was found to be driver error. The fix was moving the gas and brake pedals farther apart for morons who don't even know what "heel-toe" refers to...

I may have to live in a world full of morons but I don't have to like it. Thanks for the brake override feature, ____tards.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Society caters to the idiots.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Indeed. I bet that in 99% of the floor mat cases the owner had removed them while cleaning and neglected to secure them to the 'idiot' hooks provided for those too stupid to recognize when the floor mat has shifted too far forward and could foul the gas pedal.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
How did you manage to fit a TC valve cover with XB coil packs? The XB coils are longer and the valve covers do not interchange. Possibly why all 4 coil packs went bad at the same time. You may have cracked them when you tightened them down.
they are longer for sure. i could tell wile i was tighting them down. only 2 failed. they just replace all 4. i did put spacers in and the o-ring still seals on the cover. its only temp but works fine for now. and if i really wanted to could i just find some tc coils that are shorter?. the clips should be the same right?
Old 05-26-2011, 04:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

IMO it's very likely that TC coils would work but I don't know for certain.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
IMO it's very likely that TC coils would work but I don't know for certain.
mmmm....theres a very large pull a part in tacoma. just might have to test this out...