Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

In need of stiffer motor mounts.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 09:14 AM
5 Year Member

Default In need of stiffer motor mounts.

Ive been using an Ingalls Torque Damper kit along with a stage 2 competition clutch and the trd quickshifter kit. After daily driving with the torque damper tightened almost all the way i have already had to replace the tranny once. and since the spring inside the damper begins to soften every now and then, it must be tightened every few months to reduce clunking noise.

Well I have concluded that torque dampers are almost no less of a parasite mod than a supercharger. So now I want to upgrade to stiffer motor mounts and tranny mount.

I know Energy suspension makes them for the 1st gen tC. but will it also work on the 2nd gen xb. Especially since the tranny mount on the two are literally identical.

If not, has anyone seen any benefit from the torque solutions front motor mount for 2nd gen xBs?

Thanks.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That sucks that you found out about the torque damper the hard way. Those things are no good for daily drivers. Aftermarket motor mounts will do just about the same. It will cause a lot of vibration and movement outside of the motor. I have opted out of aftermarket mounts for this reason. Some don't mind it or notice a problem, but a lot of times it's more hassle than not. Yes, your motor is tighter, but then everything else feels the aftershock, including the cabin. I have been in a lot of aftermarket motor mounted tC's and they all tend to feel the same. I'm sure your xB will be no different. But all in all, any motor mount you get will be probably be a good tough product you can depend on.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:41 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

watching cuz i need one to badly to. question the ingall damper rattles or make any noise inside the xb?. let me know im looking to buy one
Old 09-26-2012, 12:30 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Demoplay
watching cuz i need one to badly to. question the ingall damper rattles or make any noise inside the xb?. let me know im looking to buy one
it only makes a rattling noise after a month or more of driving on low tension setting. once tightened it goes away then begins to come back due to the spring needing more and more pressure to stay tight. mine is as tight as i want it. at least to be able to switch gears. in my opinion it added about 30-40ft lbs of torque. also while your idle you will feel vibrations and with the a/c on the vibrations are deeper at idle. you will also notice more cabin noise from the engine. litterally listening to the cams as your rev through your gears. its a cool mod. great performance gain for the money. do not recommend it for daily drivers who commute like i do tho.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:34 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by criminaltc
That sucks that you found out about the torque damper the hard way. Those things are no good for daily drivers. Aftermarket motor mounts will do just about the same. It will cause a lot of vibration and movement outside of the motor. I have opted out of aftermarket mounts for this reason. Some don't mind it or notice a problem, but a lot of times it's more hassle than not. Yes, your motor is tighter, but then everything else feels the aftershock, including the cabin. I have been in a lot of aftermarket motor mounted tC's and they all tend to feel the same. I'm sure your xB will be no different. But all in all, any motor mount you get will be probably be a good tough product you can depend on.

im thinking about going with the torque solutions front motor mount and energy suspensions transmission mount inserts. then getting rid of the torque damper. im fine with vibrations, just beginning to feel very uneasy about the damper
Old 09-26-2012, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ohmar
it only makes a rattling noise after a month or more of driving on low tension setting. once tightened it goes away then begins to come back due to the spring needing more and more pressure to stay tight. mine is as tight as i want it. at least to be able to switch gears. in my opinion it added about 30-40ft lbs of torque. also while your idle you will feel vibrations and with the a/c on the vibrations are deeper at idle. you will also notice more cabin noise from the engine. litterally listening to the cams as your rev through your gears. its a cool mod. great performance gain for the money. do not recommend it for daily drivers who commute like i do tho.
Thanks for the info. well forr my part i love the GGP mount i have it on my xb and i don't mind the vibration at all i preferred that, than a noise inside the cabin so i will stay with the mounts then but i will love if there's another mount for our xB . not only the front one
Old 09-26-2012, 02:50 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Demoplay
Thanks for the info. well forr my part i love the GGP mount i have it on my xb and i don't mind the vibration at all i preferred that, than a noise inside the cabin so i will stay with the mounts then but i will love if there's another mount for our xB . not only the front one
Amen to that brother. I feel like the Aftermarket parts world really skimped out on the 2nd gen xb.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:18 PM
Banned

Look into GGP, they make some good replacement mounts. As well as Energy for bushings etc
Old 09-26-2012, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is it only me or does 30-40ft-lbs of tq seem a little crazy for just a torque damper?
Old 09-27-2012, 07:24 AM
5 Year Member

well its not dyno results but after puttin one on it almost feels about that range. ^_^
Old 09-27-2012, 11:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oreoremix, yeah I noticed that right away, but I didn't say anything.

ohmar, yes the torque damper does transfer a lot of lost torque back to your front wheels, however, it is lost torque that you should have had anyways. You are basically gaining back the numbers the scion has told us, and then some. I'd say the torque damper gives you about 7-10ft/lbs back. But nothing more.