Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

RE: MT shift cable bushings (my impressions and a DIY)!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 11:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm sorry. I simply don't have the words to adequately articulate the improvement I felt after changing out my transaxle fluid. It's purely subjective, an almost visceral sensation that the transmission's innards are working together with reduced friction.

I have a theory, however. My dealer gave me $700 off the price of my '09 xB when I bought it in November of last year, mainly because I complained that the cars odometer showed 450 miles. The dealer claimed all those miles were attributable solely to test drives, but my own belief is that my car was loaned to some employee for an extended period. Who proceeded to beat it.

Anyway, that is the scenario I'd convinced myself was true. Since I couldn't stand the notion of metal shavings circulating with the gearbox's lubricant, I changed it.

And, as I say, I may not be able to offer empirical proof, but I swear gear selection is slicker since the fluid change (i.e., once I get past the initial "gate").

Marc
Old 06-30-2010, 05:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dont get Redline. After about 15k miles on redline my 5th gear grinds again at highway speeds. Im going to try Eneos next and hopefully that will solve things for good. But from what I remember, switching the fluid made the **** movement more fluid like and the feeling of releasing the clutch seemed smoother as well. Not the pedal action itself but when everything mates up internally after releasing it. And for some reason, fresh motor oil changes contribute to this as well... its weird but theres a definite change from 3k mile old oil to fresh oil in shifting smoothness.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by XD40tC
Dont get Redline. After about 15k miles on redline my 5th gear grinds again at highway speeds. Im going to try Eneos next and hopefully that will solve things for good. But from what I remember, switching the fluid made the **** movement more fluid like and the feeling of releasing the clutch seemed smoother as well. Not the pedal action itself but when everything mates up internally after releasing it. And for some reason, fresh motor oil changes contribute to this as well... its weird but theres a definite change from 3k mile old oil to fresh oil in shifting smoothness.
Redline and Royal Purple are very popular synthetics among Eclipse enthusiasts, Penzoil Syncromesh for non-synthetic. I went Pennzoil Syncromesh in the transaxle and transfer case, Royal Purple in the differential. Huge difference in smoothness, but then, it had never been changed before (about 123K) -- factory manuals said only to top-up as needed, I believed them. Before replacing the MT fluid, it was approaching the point of hopelessness, not only increasingly notchy, but also holding me out of gears (particularly first and eventually third). It was as though the syncros were dying. It was a bit notchy even when new, so the fluid change made it the best it had ever been IMO.

It's funny, your comment on the engine oil change applied to my Eclipse too. Seemed like everytime I changed the engine oil, the gearshift became more tractable. I actually concluded the engine and tranny must share oil, but no -- they don't!

By the way, the Delrin front bushing is feeling really comfortable now -- don't know how much is the greased bushing settling in, or me just getting used to it. I just yanked the last 1/8" spacer from my shift lever and it's feeling fine .

Old 07-07-2010, 11:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TrevorS
The rearmost shift cable delivers the left-right motion of the shift **** and an unyielding cable bushing there doesn't appear to contribute anything to the feel of precision, just stiffness. So, I'm now trying the OE bushing on the rear, while keeping the Delrin in the front (fore-aft motion of the shift ****), except with Lithium grease to try to cut the resistance. I'll report back on how that works out. Two things I'm looking for:

1) Any loss of shift solidity with the OE bushing for left-right shift **** movement.

2) How much resistance reduction in the fore-aft **** movement with the Lithium grease applied -- I'd like to be able to feel the transmission again.

========================LATER========================

Just got back from a modest run. The Lithium grease has reduced fore-aft friction and the sense of solidity is very apparent when entering a gear, easily more so than my previous try. Also, returning to the OE bushing for the rear cable has not hurt shift precision at all, and has definitely corrected the left-right resistance issue.

<snip>

If I come up with anything further, I'll post it.
It's been about two weeks since I installed the Lithium greased Delrin linear cable bushing (fore-aft gear shift motion) and I was noticing today it feels as though all excess resistance has subsided. With exception of increased mechanical feedback on gear entry, it now seems the same as OE -- just the normal feel of the transmission. So, I'd say that's a great mod if you prefer the mechanical feedback. Again, no need to swap out the angular cable bushing (left-right shift motion), it doesn't contribute anything.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah cars are weird lol its like they have souls almost and like it when they are nice and maintained BTW I removed my delrin bushing from the rear cable and put the OE back in I love the side to side motion now! Thanks for going through all this trouble!
Old 07-24-2010, 12:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No problem, I've just been trying to get my own xB2 shift behavior as nice as I could manage -- figured I might as well share my findings . Wait 'til you go to a shortened shift lever, it gets even better !
Old 11-18-2010, 07:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
Scikotics
SL Member

the DIY for the shifter

http://www.scikotics.com/forums/show...83#post2370683