Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Swapping Scion Motors tC to xB..

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 01:01 PM

Default Swapping Scion Motors tC to xB..

So before asking the question I tried to scan some old threads and search for the answer to my question and couldn’t find anything. Currently I have an 09 Scion xB (5 Spd) sitting in my driveway with a blown motor, and my wife has an 05 tC (5 Spd) that was hit in the side and totaled sitting in the drive way.
In my younger years I did many Honda engine swaps but none on Toyota’s or Scions so I’m am curious if there will be any major obstacles to taking the motor from her tC and putting it into my xB. I know the block is the same but beyond that I am not sure and can’t seem to find much info.

Any info, or links would be appreciated. Thank you.

*Moved to Correct Forum by Administrator

Sticky Where to Post Your Question

Sticky How To Advanced Search SL (Scion Life)

Last edited by MR_LUV; 03-04-2019 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Moved to Correct Forum by Administrator
Old 03-04-2019, 06:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The short block is pretty close to the same between all the engines. There were some updates done with the 07 model year, higher compression, more aggressive intake cam profile, oil squirters added below the pistons, and a higher rev limit. The 05-06 tC has different head studs than the 07-up tC and they are both possibly different than the xB. Externally, you'll need to use the xB valve cover and coils, pull the power steering pump off and use the dead pulley from the xB due to the electric power steering. There might be some sensor differences but I'm not sure of that. It should be possible to do and not that difficult. It would be better if the tC was an 07 and up, but it is what it is.