Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Descendant in the desert

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 09:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Very nice! More pics please!

I'm a bit surprised by the use of the restrictive oem airbox too but I doubt that it costs much power with a turbo. What's with the mix of powder coated and bare pipes? Is it temp or perm?

BTW, have you given any thought to adding a fan on the SMIC to lessen heatsoak or water/meth injection?
Old 07-16-2009, 11:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by coryjames
actually its a good deal basicaly what my tt kit cost me with all i had to do like extra parts gauges fic and stuff its not a bad deal i have been telling people to buy this kit cause i know they wont do like tt has been doing and it the only complete kit out there other then that so its a good deal plus you can pass smog in cali
Really not a bad deal look at the hedache I had to through, Know there is a "plug n play" kit out for about the same I spent.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think i'll leave the pipes the way they are i like the look of stainless steel. Using the stock airbox can help with MAF issues, and the loss of HP is almost negligable. When my wallet rebounds I'll look into the airfilter upgrade and consider power coating everything to match the exterior.

I'll let you know if I have any heat issues, her maiden voyage is going to involve a trip through 300 miles of 110+ temperatures. The desert is baking right now.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:09 AM
Banned

I'm headed out to Needles this weekend, guess I'll look out for a blown xB on the 40 headed in the opposite direction.

Watching...
Old 07-17-2009, 03:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ouch. But its good to know your be looking out for me. I'll actually be on the 10 though.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by coryjames
actually its a good deal basicaly what my tt kit cost me with all i had to do like extra parts gauges fic and stuff its not a bad deal i have been telling people to buy this kit cause i know they wont do like tt has been doing and it the only complete kit out there other then that so its a good deal plus you can pass smog in cali
No you can't. Not yet at least.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So I made it home without incident. The car is running well. Fuel consumption is rather high, only 14 miles/gallon, and I have a CEL that wont go away. The car goes in for more tuning next week. Apparently the #1 O2 sensor is tripping. Hopefull for better gas mileage and no CEL after further tuning.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good luck with everything!
Old 07-22-2009, 11:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^Thanks.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by madmarx
So I made it home without incident. The car is running well. Fuel consumption is rather high, only 14 miles/gallon, and I have a CEL that wont go away. The car goes in for more tuning next week. Apparently the #1 O2 sensor is tripping. Hopefull for better gas mileage and no CEL after further tuning.

Thats tuning related I also have this code for running rich. Good look, hope you make some good numbers.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i throw no codes well havent for 500+miles
Old 07-23-2009, 01:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

yea, but cory, aren't you only running like 3.5 psi right now?

I'm running a CEL. It took it a while to come on though. After I got tuned i didnt have a code for like 200 miles
Old 07-23-2009, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lol yes we will se in two weeks
Old 07-23-2009, 02:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

uh oh! cory's back in the game!! lookin forward to seeing what your gonna do in 2 weeks.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lol I'm excited to see what happens to. Maybe my car will max out its turbo.........
Old 07-24-2009, 03:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Congrats! Can you pull the codes? I'm guessing P0101, P0172 and maybe a P0103.

BTW, just as info, I'm about to pull the plug on Palmer Performance Engineering's ScanXL OBD2 software. It costs $100 but works with almost every scan tool interface made, does unlimited data logging (can even log wideband gauges) features dyno and dragstrip simulation and can eventually be upgraded with advanced Toyota diagnostics capabilities to read all of Toyota's proprietary PIDs including airbags, etc. All you need is a laptop, ~$40 OBD2 scan tool and software. I've tried all the OBD2 freeware but it all comes up short of what I want. You can pull codes, reset CELs and read generic sensor data but no data logging or advanced features.

http://www.palmerperformance.com/

The "mp3car" coupon code is good for 15% off.

Good luck with the tune. FWIW, I'm getting 20/28mpg city/hwy with 440cc and stock ecu. Oh how I wish I could tune the Toy ecu instead of using a piggyHACK...
Old 07-24-2009, 05:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't have a scan tool yet. Thanks for the info as I see one and the associated software to go with it in my near future. The laptop I have, what scan tool do you use?

I have the F/IC tuner software for the FIC but not the cable to connect the computer to the FIC. If I get the cable will I still need the scan tool?
Old 07-24-2009, 07:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't have a scan tool yet. Thanks for the info as I see one and the associated software to go with it in my near future. The laptop I have, what scan tool do you use?

I have the F/IC tuner software for the FIC but not the cable to connect the computer to the FIC. If I get the cable will I still need the scan tool?
There are quite a few scan tools out there but the most widely supported is the ELM327 chip. The genuine elm327 chip is available from scantool.net in their Elmscan 5. Nice unit but a bit pricey at $110. There are a lot of elm327 clones available from ebay and elsewhere for $20-$100. I'm using a well-made clone I got for $40 shipped from dealextreme. So far it's worked with every OBDII software app and 1998-2008 Dodge, VW, Toyota and Scion cars/trucks.

AFAIK the FIC should have included a USB cable to connect to your laptop. Most scan tools include a OBDII port to RS232 cable that goes to the scan tool and a RS232 or USB cable to connect to a laptop. I much prefer USB to the old RS232 serial port. My netbook doesn't even have a RS232 port.

Connecting a laptop to your FIC will allow you to data log the FIC and UEGO (if connected to the FIC), tune and possibly monitor the FIC connected engine sensors. To interface directly with your ECU to monitor all engine sensors, read and clear codes, data log O2 sensors, fuel trims, etc. will require a OBDII scan tool. In short, you need both.

Rather than go on and on about the various scan tools and software, I suggest you check out the following links and feel free to pm me with any questions. It's pretty cool to monitor every engine sensor in real time on a laptop.

http://www.scantool.net/

http://obd2pros.com/

http://obd2pros.com/sc/pages.asp?pageid=60

http://www.palmerperformance.com/

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16923 (my scan tool)
Old 07-31-2009, 01:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

New tune and the car is running great. All the error codes were cleared, after some work. Made it about 50 miles befor the CEL was back on. I'm headed to get a scan tool now.

I've started to hear a nocking sound like a electric fuel pump when your about to run out of fuel. On the driver side. Only happens at low idle and it goes away when you start to move.

Oh yeah. 230h256T at the axle on a Dynapack. Tuner suggests larger diameter exhaust before turning up boost. Boost climbs to 8.2 at 3760 and falls off to 5.6 by 6300, boost is currently limited by backpressure. Thanks to Tony at UMS.

I'll scan and post the sheets winss.
Old 08-01-2009, 06:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

New tune and the car is running great. All the error codes were cleared, after some work. Made it about 50 miles befor the CEL was back on. I'm headed to get a scan tool now.

I've started to hear a nocking sound like a electric fuel pump when your about to run out of fuel. On the driver side. Only happens at low idle and it goes away when you start to move.

Oh yeah. 230h256T at the axle on a Dynapack. Tuner suggests larger diameter exhaust before turning up boost. Boost climbs to 8.2 at 3760 and falls off to 5.6 by 6300, boost is currently limited by backpressure. Thanks to Tony at UMS.

I'll scan and post the sheets winss.

Congrats dude! Not perfect yet but it's still a blast to drive I bet. Just a hunch but I had a few knocking noises at first caused by pipes hitting the chassis and other pipes. I cut up some extra silicone couplers and wire tied them to the pipe where it hit. All I hear now is the turbo and BPV.

Thanks for the tip on the backpressure. I'm in the same boat there with a 2.5" DP into stock s-pipe, scuba and TRD axle-back. What's your current exhaust setup?

Quick Reply: Descendant in the desert