Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Another mod done -- and I'm really loving my xB2 :)!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 10:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ricersux
Idk man...after a trailer hitch wiring harness, what else is there? Pretty hardcore.
Originally Posted by Shadezz
what are ya towing with that hitch?
Yeah, I guess a trailer hitch is pretty far from mainstream, though since Scion specifically says no, that's hardly a surprise ! I used to have a half ton P/U and used it to haul many a time. When I got the xB2, I was specifically looking for enclosed cargo space and was sold by the 70 cu-ft. Still, I'd prefer a little more flexibility and that's where the hitch comes in. The Australian Rukus is spec'd by Toyota for 1100 pounds tow specifically with their Class I hitch accessory, and the UK Urban Cruiser (their version of the xD) is spec'd by Toyota for 500Kg (1102 pounds, 800Kg with an electric brake) without a hitch accessory, so I'm not too concerned about Scion's position .

The Curt Class II looks far more tasteful than you'd imagine the way it's tucked under the rear bumper fascia. If you haven't seen it, take a look at XBinRochester's show car -- looks really good. He uses it for hauling bicycles and there are other accessories available. Here's a photo of mine immediately after I finished install, though it was turning dusk when I took it.

Name:  xBCurtHitchMod_18.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  60.0 KB

In case you're curious, here's how the Tow Ready harness appears in the car. When needed, you guide it under the hatch to the trailer hookup.

Name:  xBCurtHitchMod_21.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  47.7 KB
Name:  xBCurtHitchMod_22.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  46.5 KB
Old 07-26-2011, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

You don't see too many xB2's with a tow hitch on it. Looks nice!

I like my xB no matter what! I built it to MY standards. If people praise it thanks, if not then that person has different taste than me. And I'm not afraid to learn something from an opinion I may not like and not afraid to debate on what I like to do.

in other words, yes I share that same feeling about what can be done to my ride to make me like it that much more!
Old 07-26-2011, 11:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is that a 1g GSX I see in the garage? I have gone thru the dsm phaze of life too and man do I miss the awd launches.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Boffmyazz
You don't see too many xB2's with a tow hitch on it. Looks nice!
Thanks -- people expect hitches to look kind of ugly, but I think this looks almost as though it belongs, kinda stealthy in my mind !

Originally Posted by Boffmyazz
I like my xB no matter what! I built it to MY standards. If people praise it thanks, if not then that person has different taste than me. And I'm not afraid to learn something from an opinion I may not like and not afraid to debate on what I like to do.

in other words, yes I share that same feeling about what can be done to my ride to make me like it that much more!
That's great, they're just such neat cars to work with, they just seem to lend themselves to modding! This is the first time I've engaged in this and I'm so glad I did -- thanks Scion !

Originally Posted by Ricersux
Is that a 1g GSX I see in the garage? I have gone thru the dsm phase of life too and man do I miss the awd launches.
Sure be -- model year 1990 ! Its nasty smelling brain death on Dec 26, 2007 is what led to my January 2008 xB2 purchase. After an initial round of xB2 mods (deliberately bought with just the rear spoiler and bumper applique'), I turned my attention to hopefully resuscitating the Eclipse, and after getting it breathing again, attacked the laundry list of issues that had collected over time, last being a frozen turbo . Since then, I've made further repairs, a few interior mods, many performance upgrades and yes, I love it as well ! However, I'm a pretty laid-back driver with both vehicles, so I suspect the typical Eclipse enthusiast would consider it wasted on me !

A current underhood photo !
Name:  EclipseEngine8_26_2012.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  90.3 KB

Last edited by TrevorS; 05-04-2014 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Update Eclipse photo :)!
Old 07-27-2011, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had been debating on getting a hitch, but though it might look a bit "goofy". I mainly want it to be able to tow my and my brothers motorcycles to the dragon, etc, and am definitely going to invest in one now!

Thanks for the review and photos trevorS!
Old 07-27-2011, 06:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Roller_Toaster
I had been debating on getting a hitch, but though it might look a bit "goofy". I mainly want it to be able to tow my and my brothers motorcycles to the dragon, etc, and am definitely going to invest in one now!

Thanks for the review and photos trevorS!
There are also Class I hitches out there and they cost less, but the Class II is a stronger design and utilizes all six bolt holes in the under-chassis rails (three per side). Yes, its rating is also higher (3500 lbs tow, 350 lbs tongue), but it's necessary to govern your loads by what the xB2 can safely handle, not the hitch.

Also, I expect all available hitches install properly with the OE exhaust, but you have to be a little more careful with aftermarket pipes -- it depends on how they're hung. If the aftermarket pipe uses the OE hanger, it's probably not an issue, but if any pipes are hung from the under-chassis rails, it could be.