Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

BEWARE, 19" TRD rims 2 problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 07:21 PM
5 Year Member

Default BEWARE, 19" TRD rims 2 problems

First:
I dont know if anyone else had this problem with the 19" TRD rims but the paint on the rims is fading, now they are a little chipped from the cinders here in PA but at certain spots the paint is actually fading and turning white!! What can I do. Can i take them to the dealer and show them the fading paint and get new ones or get them reconditioned? I even took them to my body guy and he told me the paint was not laid on the rims correctly (he paints show cars and knows what he's doing), need help, these were alot of money for me and should have been properly painted.

Second:
Both sides of my car, the paint is destroyed from the cinders, from the wheels being oversized. When I had these rims put on I cant believe that there were no mudflaps installed or recommended with this wheel kit, it looks like someone sandblasted the sides. its almost 3 grand for me to fix it. Im not trying to sound like a dick, but I feel that since these rims were designed just for the xb2 that there should have been mudflaps recommended or included with the kit, and that this is a flaw in design and I shouldnt be responsible for having this fixed, i paid for this toyota accessory to be right, not have it damage my vehicle.

Let me know what you think, I at a loss.

Scott
Old 01-06-2008, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you dont have to have the big wheels to have marks on your fenders, it is ur car if u didnt notice there could be a problem why would they have? it is your car!!! would u like them to be responsible for every scratch you put in the interrior of ur car too? should they warn you of every possible problem you could have, that would be a really big book and a really long talk! what do you mean cinders? cinders to be are burnt wood, why are you driving on them? why does everyone put the blame on everyone else!!!! as far as the paint on the wheels, that is a ligitimate problem but the marks on your car from the wheels thats a diff story!

cin·der /ˈsɪndər/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[sin-der] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. a partially or mostly burned piece of coal, wood, etc.
2. cinders,
a. any residue of combustion; ashes.
b. Geology. coarse scoriae erupted by volcanoes.
3. a live, flameless coal; ember.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lots of municpalities lay down sand & cinders on their roads instead & in tandom with salt for snow cover. That's why he's probally driving on cinders.. Anyways.. i agree that Scion is not to blame for selling wider wheels as 'AD ON" financeable accessories. I got 8" wide wheels & after 2 weeks of noticing the 'spray' on my paint, I immediatly put on a set of "temps" mudflaps till something comes out that looks way good.. protect your stuff YOURSELF!! It's YOUR ride,, not Scion's anymore... jh
Old 01-06-2008, 07:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scotts08xb
First:
I dont know if anyone else had this problem with the 19" TRD rims but the paint on the rims is fading, now they are a little chipped from the cinders here in PA but at certain spots the paint is actually fading and turning white!! What can I do. Can i take them to the dealer and show them the fading paint and get new ones or get them reconditioned? I even took them to my body guy and he told me the paint was not laid on the rims correctly (he paints show cars and knows what he's doing), need help, these were alot of money for me and should have been properly painted.

Second:
Both sides of my car, the paint is destroyed from the cinders, from the wheels being oversized. When I had these rims put on I cant believe that there were no mudflaps installed or recommended with this wheel kit, it looks like someone sandblasted the sides. its almost 3 grand for me to fix it. Im not trying to sound like a dick, but I feel that since these rims were designed just for the xb2 that there should have been mudflaps recommended or included with the kit, and that this is a flaw in design and I shouldnt be responsible for having this fixed, i paid for this toyota accessory to be right, not have it damage my vehicle.

Let me know what you think, I at a loss.

Scott
The paint fading is a legitimate problem, I would take them back to the dealer.

I think you have no basis for a claim against Scion because of the road spray. The Accessory wheels themselves did not damage your car, the cinders applied to the road damaged your car. They are not responsible for road damage, just like they would not be responsible for road rash on the front end due to highway driving or frame rust due to road salt. If you get the lowering springs and then run over a stump you otherwise wouldn't have hit, that isn't Scion's problem either. The cinders (it is like sand, for non PA people...I think it is actually crushed volcanic glass) are a PITA, but you have to make some attempt to winterize your car in this state.

The major problem I see here is that you are using the 19" wheel/tire combo in the middle of the winter. Those tires are technically all season, but you are crazy to expect to get around PA in the winter with them. It is a widely known fact that winter road treatments will destroy nice wheels of almost any finish...even if the finish on the wheels was applied correctly, they would still be chipping. It is also well known that wider wheels that stick out further cause an increase in road spray on the body. It is not Scion's fault that you did not prepare.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

^ ditto!
Old 01-06-2008, 08:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree with bigfieroman, and I think he used the appropriate tone in his response. I would agree that the faded wheels should be a warranty issue. But you'll probably eat the side spray damage.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd have to agree with all of the responses so far and I'm glad I'm in central Florida and don't have to worry about that . Good luck getting it taken care of. As far as the 'sandblasting" on your paint goes, where is it happening? I'm guessing on the bottom up to the area just in front of the rear wheels on the door/fender,(mostly the door/fender area). If so the mudflaps "should" help but since both are accessories/upgrades to the original car I doubt you'll get them to repaint the damaged areas on the body. I know on the Chevy HHR's they have a similar problem (with stock wheels)but only on the one's without running boards.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:14 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

im pretty sure those TRD wheels were never designed for the XB... they just tagged there name on anouther brand of wheel..

its like the 1st gen TRD wheels..

I dont think there respondsible for where you drive and rocks kicking up.. i drive mines with wider wheels with a more agressive off set that the TRD wheels and i even took off the clear plastic protectors that was on the rear doors and fedner well and not one rock chip till this day..

i got soem rock chips onmy bumper so is Scion responsible for that?

SOrry man i would have to agree with the rest.. the fading they should fix.. the chips or what ever from road stuffs its not there problem..
Old 01-07-2008, 04:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

really informative thread, had no idea what cinders were until it was explained(from socal)
Old 01-07-2008, 05:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i am from missouri, home of ____ty weather in the winter. I just bought my xb, and I have washed it probably 6 times in 2 weeks. I dont let all that road slime dry on my car. Far as wheels, I am waitng till i move to germany before i put rims on, and i will continue to run the stock wheels in the bad weather due to chipping, fading ect.

its ok to be mad about paint fading, but your motives on going about it are all wrong. Run the stock wheels till it clears up, and your paint will last.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i didnt mean to sound as harsh as it did, but for the paint on your car i felt like saying heres ur sign. as far as the paint on the wheels yes absolutly that should be a warrentyable thing! and also i live in upstate ny so i did not know that some places actually do use cinders, i appologize for that, up here they use good old salt and sand.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:35 PM
5 Year Member

no problem Bugtox, i was just stumped as to why or if there were supposed to be mudflaps included with the wheels, the reason I was stumped is that i saw alot of the other new cars come with some type of stone deflector , i would have thought that with toyota offering wider wheels they would have thought to put mudflaps on the car so I thought nothing of it till the other day I finally got some good weather to wash it by hand and not by spraying it at a car wash and thats when I noticed the paint being torn up. your right though, You should have said heres your sign, However i did go out and buy some mudflaps for it and suprisingly im impressed with how they look on the car. I guess I can try to claim it under my insurance.

I envy you toxb, I wished they used sand here, it would really be alot less hell on peoples cars.

Now for the rims fading, I already have almost 12 thousand on them in five months time should I take them back to the dealer or call toyota first??

thanks to everyone for any advice.
Scott
Old 01-09-2008, 12:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would try the dealer first about the wheels.....and good luck with everything
Old 01-09-2008, 12:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

once again i do appologize for being so harsh! I was having a really bad day and didnt belong on here posting, im really not that much of a jerk! But yes as far as the wheels I would start at the dealer if they cant do anything go directly to toyota! Companies usually will do more for the consumer than the dealer! but best of luck to you!!! The sand is pretty nasty though.....
Old 01-09-2008, 03:40 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I'd go to your dealer ASAP. I just checked our 19's and there are no problems at all and we drive it all over the place here. But our climate is quite a bit different being in Myrtle Beach.

Jamie
Old 01-09-2008, 05:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree with everyone else is saying so far-- Definitely have the TRD rims checked out for any manufacturer defects causing them to fade or chip- Those should be under the 3/36k warranty from Scion, especially if you ordered your xB with them on it-- You may want to speak directly to the Customer Relations Manager at your dealership in the event you want a Factory Toyota Rep to come look at them, the CRM *(Customer Relations Manager) can set that up too-