Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Grinding sound when shifting

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 08:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jan06xB
This is second gen with more HP and the tranny should be able to handle a little deceleration without breaking apart since engine braking puts no where near the load on the gears as acceleration does.
Its not the gears you should be concerned about, rather the clutches. Going from 2nd to 1st presents a huuuuge difference in speeds for the clutches to absorb. Repeated actions like this will toast the clutches in short order.

Originally Posted by TrevorS
The question isn't referring to allowing the engine to provide braking when in first gear, but rather, deliberately downshifting into first for the purpose of using engine braking. If more braking is needed while in second, then apply the service brakes. Shifting down to first for engine braking isn't normally a good practice for either automatic or manual transmissions. You can't even expect to have the necessary gear synchronization to support that shift. It's just not a normal design intent for first gear.

PS. The true purpose of down shifting for engine braking is to protect against service brake heating, which can result in fading and possibly brake failure. It takes very little additional brake to augment second gear (no overheat risk), and so there's no practical advantage to selecting first gear for engine braking -- and so the design doesn't typically support it.
Agreed. If you do need the braking of 1st gear, then slow/stop to <10MPH, *then* select 1st. If you regularly need this much engine braking though, perhaps you are in terrain more suited for a 4x4.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I FOUND OUT. Actually about a month ago. I had a tech ride with me. what it is he says is my midpipe. (strup header n catback exhaust) when the car slows down or accelerates rapidly. it will swing a bit n hit the body of the car. and since its vibrating from the exhaust thats why it makes the grinding sound. If i have a new mid pipe made then i won't have an issue.