Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

oil change intervals and type

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 01:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just confirmation, they use mobile 1. I took my tacoma in for a replacement return line leak from the supercharger. I have irregular ____ing of the tranny and enquired about a fluid change vs flush. They informed me they do not have regular generic fluid, they use mobile 1 synthentic. In my case I wanted plain old regular fluid as it has mobile in everything from the previous owner.

I have the priorities for like, so lifetime engine warranty, free oil changes and state inspection, HOWEVER I must bring it in every 5k miles and pay to have it checked out. 50 bucks, but they do not "charge" for the oil and filter. Otherwise, I would change it myself and use castor and a toy filter.

Basically the weight tells you 2 things. How the oil acts when cold and when hot. So, you need to look at the chart on the back of the bottle for your environment. Too heavy oil will not flow when the engine is cold in extreme conditions and can cause engine damage and lost of power. Too light of oil will come apart at higher temperatures and fail to oil everything properly.

Second, the seal on the logo has some letters for what addatives the oil contains for your needs. My mercedes use to have a special requirement that most oils did not mention, so I ended up buying rotilla oil for large trucks.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wat oil filter r u using?
at 1st i was thinking of trd or mobil 1 until i found out they're the same. then some friends recommend napa
Old 12-15-2008, 01:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

On the scion, the toy filter. On the tacoma, the same one it had on it, a mobile 1 filter. Man, 14 bucks for an oil filter and the toy one is like 5 bucks.

Originally Posted by DAILYXB-TYPE-R
wat oil filter r u using?
at 1st i was thinking of trd or mobil 1 until i found out they're the same. then some friends recommend napa
Old 12-15-2008, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i've read somewhere in this forum you can use a camry, avalon and a few other toyota models oil filter but isn't those bigger? i mean the oil filter is bigger but it still fit right?
what good would that do?
will it filter better?
will it not give enough pressure?
Old 12-15-2008, 07:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Toyota filter compared to the Mobil1 is way smaller... I have to do another oil change today (20k) i am going with Mobil1 oil and filter again... I likey...
Old 12-15-2008, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i've read somewhere in this forum you can use a camry, avalon and a few other toyota models oil filter but isn't those bigger? i mean the oil filter is bigger but it still fit right?
what good would that do?
will it filter better?
90915-YZZF2 is the normal small filter that Toyota parts will give you.
90915-YZZF1 is the longer filter that I've been using (you just have to ask for it), and it costs the same.
Threads, holes and fit are all the same, it just has more filter media inside.

BIGGER, BETTER, FASTER, MORE! It's the American way.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
what good would that do?
will it filter better?
90915-YZZF2 is the normal small filter that Toyota parts will give you.
90915-YZZF1 is the longer filter that I've been using (you just have to ask for it), and it costs the same.
Threads, holes and fit are all the same, it just has more filter media inside.

BIGGER, BETTER, FASTER, MORE! It's the American way.
CIONIDE, my dealer has always given me the YZZF1 as the direct xB replacement. This was also the filter I took off when I did my first change. I've done all changes since new.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Maytag
CIONIDE, my dealer has always given me the YZZF1 as the direct xB replacement. This was also the filter I took off when I did my first change. I've done all changes since new.
Apparently my dealership isn't as nice as yours...

I will say that I buy my filters at a Toyota dealership that is not a Scion dealership, so they just go by whatever the computer default is, unless you know better.

Because of other ScionLife members, I knew what to ask for.
Thanks SquallLHeart.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanx cionide again
i'll give the bigger one a try
Old 12-16-2008, 02:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You won't notice any difference DAILYXB, but for the same price I'll always take more filter over less.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats what i was thinking
more is in most case is better than less.
thats one reason i changed the injen air filter to weapon-r secret filter even tho the weapon-r isn't bigger but it felt like if it really help the injen cai sucked more air. it felt much better while in the high rpm at full throttle. much smother even my brother notice it before i told him.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Right, its just a larger filter. Got to be careful with the off the shelf as some do not have a by pass valve, so it can blow the filter if the pressure is too high or if the filter is cligged it can activate the bypass valve in your block.

When I asked for a filter, they guy was not sure which one I needed, rather it was a spin on or cartrage type. Its a spin on on the bottom of the block behind a plastic flap.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's why I stick with Toyota filters... I know the YYZF1 will be a direct replacement for the YYZF2, with no bypass valve problems; just more filtering capacity; FTW!
Old 12-16-2008, 10:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wonder if they made a mid-year change by using the YZZF1 filter as stock. Anyone else have their car come with this filter? I know mine came with it from the factory. Sparks has it listed as the xB filter too.

The thing that's scary is you guys say it's a bigger filter. I would hate to see what the F2 filter looks like, because the F1 filter is tiny.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i've been using royal purple 5w-20 since the 5000k mark. i also used their MTF until recently. i changed that over to red line mt-90 with superior results, so i'm going to give their oil a try at the next change.

i'm also using the mobil-1 oil filter, and just purchased a filter magnet for further protection. http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
it might be overkill, but anything that might extend the engine life i'll try (except snake oil crap).

as far as viscosity goes in previous posts, 0w, 5w or 10w are the viscosity's at cold temps. they dictate how fast you'll have oil circulation and pressure at cold temps and do not have anything to do with overall viscosity. unless you're in the central plains or alaska, 5w will work, otherwise, use 0w. as the oil heats up, it thickens to the overall number, ie, 20, 30, 40... these engines are pretty much a "0" tolerance engines, meaning they're all pretty much the same as they leave the factory. not like old chevy engines from the 60-70-80's that would vary in fit and finish from .010-.060+ depending on the day of the week they were built. this consistency leads to a better built motor, more reliability and a need for thinner oils (5w-20) to provide the same, if not better, protection of a 30 or 40 weight oil while providing better fuel economy. anything other than a 0w or 5w-20 is not needed and can decrease output due to trying to overcome the friction of a higher viscosity.

as far as running royal purple xpr... it would work, but be pretty expensive. unless you're running the car ***** to the wall, the regular stuff will work just fine. just my .02c
Old 12-16-2008, 01:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ive always thought the toys filters are on the small side. My old volkswagon filter for the 1.6l engine was the size of a quart mason jar. My 2.4l diesel mercedes was a cartrage the size of a roll of paper towels. My scion, the filter is about the size of one for a riding mower engine.

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
That's why I stick with Toyota filters... I know the YYZF1 will be a direct replacement for the YYZF2, with no bypass valve problems; just more filtering capacity; FTW!
Old 12-17-2008, 02:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok so i just did my oil change (20k) ended up going with Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic 5-20w and a K&N filter cuz it was a special at Autozone... 5qts plus filter for $29.99 plus tax...
Old 12-23-2008, 04:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

FYI... STP oil filters are the EXACT same as Mobil1 filters and K&N filters.... All are made by Champion Labs in the USA... The differnece in price is $3.50 for an STP vs $12 for Mobil1...
Old 12-23-2008, 05:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ShaffNasty
FYI... STP oil filters are the EXACT same as Mobil1 filters and K&N filters.... All are made by Champion Labs in the USA... The differnece in price is $3.50 for an STP vs $12 for Mobil1...
That is good news. Do you have a link with this info, and maybe cutaway views of the filters?
Old 12-23-2008, 06:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here is the link... http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...337051&fpart=1

I was also at Autozone yesterday and looked at the Mobil! and STP side by side... evrything was the same constuction wise inside and out from what i could see (so sorry no cut in half view)... Also i noticed a few key things... All three (K&N, Mobil1, and STP are all stamped "AA" near the threaded part... and the STP and Mobil1 have almost the same numbers and letter codes on top.

Quick Reply: oil change intervals and type