Power Steering ECU Replacement - Scionlife.com

Notices

Power Steering ECU Replacement

Old 08-25-2015, 02:50 PM
5 Year Member

Default Power Steering ECU Replacement

2009 xB

So yesterday I went to leave work, and no power steering. Steering wheel light was on. Managed to drive it an hour and a half home and did some quick research. From my understanding, the car has electric steering and the ECU typically goes bad.
I did pull the negative battery cable and waited over and hour. Reconnected, and started car and problem still existed. Shut car off, came out 45min later to move it, and everything is fine. This morning, everything is still fine. Now possibly it is a fluke.
But knowing the issues with these cars, I am planning for the worst. So my thought is to get a used PS ECU and prepare for replacement.

Has anybody done this? I am assuming i have to remove the dash. Anyone have tips on doing this? Pics? Anything? Cant afford for a dealer to do this for $800-$1,500.

*Moved to Correct Forum by Administrator

Sticky Where to Post Your Question

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-18-2018 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Moved to Correct Forum by Administrator
Old 08-29-2015, 01:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

As I mentioned on the other forum, I'm not totally sure this is the problem, but it's worth the effort if you can get it cheap enough. There's absolutely no reason to pay a dealer to do this, as you can do it yourself in no time at all with basic hand tools.

The referenced "remove instrument panel" points to a very large document, but basically, remove the radio trim and big piece above the steering wheel (as seen here) and look at this for reference. Not sure this is actually needed; you might be able to get by without:

Post-installation you'll need to do a zero point calibration. If you have the cheap techstream cable, just connect and go to Chassis > EMPS > Utility > Torque Sensor Adjustment and follow the instructions. If not, there's a manual process you can do (I'll have to dig up notes on it)
Old 07-18-2018, 04:44 PM

Zero point calibration? So, not only do you need to make sure that the ECU is either flashed or has your car settings (VIN, odometer setting). You have to do this? This is a 3 year old thread, so, I doubt any responses will happen
Old 07-18-2018, 07:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Shouldn't need to do any ECU re-flash if you're only changing the power steering ECU. As for the zero point calibration any shop with a high quality OBD-II Reading will be able to do it. I had it done on mine when my yaw sensor decided to go funky after having some work done on my steering.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:15 PM

I don't mean to sound dumb, but I guess I am by asking this question. There is an ECU and a power steering ECU?
Old 07-18-2018, 08:35 PM

OK, so it exists. It's anywhere from $490 to $900 new, but I can't seem to find any used ones on Amazon or Ebay. The part # is 8965012520
Old 07-19-2018, 08:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, seems there aren't a lot of the gen 2 ones out and available. You might try a gen 2.5 unit. I found one for $60 on Ebay, https://www.ebay.com/itm/11-SCION-XB...4383.l4275.c10

I'm not sure if they made any changes to the ECU for the gen 2.5 or if it was just a part number change. Other choice might be to hit up a pick-a-part near you and pull one from a wrecked xB.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:23 PM

I heard that the only thing one has to once installed is like an ignition key pattern to get it sequenced for steering.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by wmyatt View Post
I heard that the only thing one has to once installed is like an ignition key pattern to get it sequenced for steering.
That might be the manual way of resetting the zero point calibration. I don't know for sure as I have a friend who is a mechanic so he just hooked it up to his reader and reset it for me.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:38 PM

That's what you call a good friend.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:53 PM

Interesting, my steering went out last year about this time on my 2008 xB. A few months later, (because I couldn't afford to fix it) it mysteriously started working again. Today, it went out again.
Both times it was after I stopped, shut off the engine, went into a store and came out. It also seemed to happen when I shut the key off before coming to a complete stop. I have standard shift.

Just out of curiosity, does this happen with automatic transmissions as well?

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-07-2018 at 02:41 AM.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Curlylk View Post
Interesting, my steering went out last year about this time on my 2008 xB. A few months later, (because I couldn't afford to fix it) it mysteriously started working again. Today, it went out again.
Both times it was after I stopped, shut off the engine, went into a store and came out. It also seemed to happen when I shut the key off before coming to a complete stop. I have standard shift.

Just out of curiosity, does this happen with automatic transmissions as well?

Old 12-07-2018, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
Mine is a manual as well, not sure on the others. Though my steering only went out for about half a day before it started working again. been fine for a couple of years now.
Hmmm, perhaps we can narrow this down. I was thinking by shutting the Key off and turning the wheel that it might initiate something that tells the power steering assist to stop working.
I keep doing that now as I come to a stop hoping that I get power steering once again. At 227,000 miles, I donít intend to spend 1,000 dollars to fix. Hoping to get 300,000 out of this wonderful automobile! Thanks for the reply.