Notices
Scion xD Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

License Plate Light

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 06:52 AM
SL Member

Default License Plate Light

I want to change out the bulbs that shine on to the license plate to a more true white color, like how a lexus is.

Does anyone have an suggestions on what bulbs i need, and how to install it all, and remove the place piece covering the light?
Old 01-13-2009, 09:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

please use the search function!

this topic has been covered countless times.

the most common way of getting the "lexus" style licence plate lights is to replace the incandescant bulbs with white LED bulbs. the bulb size is 168 aka 194. ebay or many other websites sell these.

superbrightleds.com is one of my favs. been using them problem free for years.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:41 PM
SL Member

I can't seem to find any threads explaining this. Thanks for the info on what type of bulbs to get, but how do i install them exactly. I was looking at it today, and how do i pull off the old ones and put the new ones in?
Old 01-30-2009, 08:26 AM
5 Year Member

I've replaced the bulbs with super bright white LEDs that I bought off ebay. It's very simple to install. Simply open your hatch fully and then look up at the back of it. You'll see square panels that are very easily removed with a flat head screw driver. Simply place the screen drivers head on the small tab and press down, the panel tab will release and you'll be able to reach in and have access to the bulb. Grab the bulb and twist it slightly and it should come out. One came out very easily for me, the other was a huge pain and wouldn't turn at all. After some wiggling it finally gave way and I was able to replace them both.

Good luck and be sure to post some pictures after you make the switch. If I remember, I'll post some of mine as well.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:04 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by JonRick
I've replaced the bulbs with super bright white LEDs that I bought off ebay. It's very simple to install. Simply open your hatch fully and then look up at the back of it. You'll see square panels that are very easily removed with a flat head screw driver. Simply place the screen drivers head on the small tab and press down, the panel tab will release and you'll be able to reach in and have access to the bulb. Grab the bulb and twist it slightly and it should come out. One came out very easily for me, the other was a huge pain and wouldn't turn at all. After some wiggling it finally gave way and I was able to replace them both.

Good luck and be sure to post some pictures after you make the switch. If I remember, I'll post some of mine as well.
Thanks for all of this, I already got it done awhile ago with help from Garage1217
He should be making a post sometime with the pictures i provided him
Old 02-04-2009, 07:44 AM
ako
SL Member

I would have liked to do this however rather then messing with the lights that shine down I decided to go with the neon style lighting from above. Screwed in a green neon kit... haven't had any probs with the 5.0 lately.