Notices
Scion xD Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

A problem with the HIDs! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 03:24 PM

Default A problem with the HIDs! Help!

Hello there fellow scion xD owners! As you can see from the title, I have a couple of problems with my HIDs. I bought my 8000k Bi-Xenon HIDs from www.hidsrus.com

The problem I have is that:
1. My driver side light is scattered. I'm not sure if it's the bulb that's defective or my headlamps but I have never removed my headlamps at all, nor do i recall messing around with the headlamps.
2. The driver side is lighter than the passenger side. It doesn't show much of a difference in camera, but you could see a little lighter color of blue on the left side than the right side.

I attached a couple of pics for you guys to see. Hope it helps!
Attached Thumbnails A problem with the HIDs! Help!-img_0660.jpg   A problem with the HIDs! Help!-img_0664.jpg   A problem with the HIDs! Help!-img_0665.jpg   A problem with the HIDs! Help!-img_0666.jpg  
Old 04-09-2012, 04:14 PM
SL Member

Not sure if you have projectors in your headlights. As I have a scion tc.

But, if you do... most projector headlights have a cut off... so the driver's side headlight does not blind oncoming traffic. This is a safety issue. So they won't look identical... Headlights usually have a screw on the back, that gives you some adjustability, as far as up and down movement of the bulb, if i'm not mistaken.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jeddyxD
Hello there fellow scion xD owners! As you can see from the title, I have a couple of problems with my HIDs. I bought my 8000k Bi-Xenon HIDs from www.hidsrus.com

The problem I have is that:
1. My driver side light is scattered. I'm not sure if it's the bulb that's defective or my headlamps but I have never removed my headlamps at all, nor do i recall messing around with the headlamps.
2. The driver side is lighter than the passenger side. It doesn't show much of a difference in camera, but you could see a little lighter color of blue on the left side than the right side.

I attached a couple of pics for you guys to see. Hope it helps!

apparently with our car when you put hids in you tend to get the "scattered" look. fro what iv read if you take off the little metal shield looking thing on your hid bulb its supposed to help not look so scattered
Old 04-09-2012, 04:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Go back to stock bulbs, these "BIXENON" bulbs are NOT made for halogen headlamps. You should invest in halogen bulbs MADE FOR halogen lamps.

Or get aftermarket projector headlights...and get worse output. Google "truth about HIDs" plz.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1. in our housings, HIDs will scatter, as we have no projectors. nothing really to do about it. you can adjust them via the white screws on top of the housings to make them roughly where you would like.

2. that seems like a manufacturer fail to me. temps could be off slightly to change the color.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:48 PM

Ah.. I see. T_T Well thanks for the help guys, i appreciate it! I guess i'll just put up with the scattering. But i'm going to ask for a replacement bulb for the color change since i really mind having two different colored headlights. O_o haha. thanks guys!
Old 04-09-2012, 11:20 PM
5 Year Member

i have the same issue. i was about to post a thread about it.
love this place, full of infos!

-------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/member.php?u=199390
Check out my album and rate my XD!
Le3
Old 04-10-2012, 07:06 AM

haha seriously! x.x i always come here first to check if I ever come across with a problem tryna mod my D haha. hope all is well for your lights!
Old 04-10-2012, 05:50 PM
5 Year Member

yeah, at first i though i got ripped off with it, i was told that once i put them on and drive away from the shop, i will no longer be able to return or exchange it with no exceptions. i was going to buy a new set, if the problem was really with the hid kits. nice to know before wasting more money.

my new question now is>>>

does anyone here have a set of halogens that has a temp close to 6000K?

even a higher one is fine, i just hate the yellowish temp.
I've had my set of 6000K for about a year now and i just can't imagine going back to stock or anything lower that 6000K anymore.

a pep boys attendant told me that i should go for their Hella bulbs.
but they're $60/pair and told me once i open them i can't return of exchange them either unless they are broken. anyone have a set on their XD?

Le3
Old 04-11-2012, 03:15 AM

You should try getting a new kit from ddmtuning. I'm getting new ones cause mine provider won't provide the replacement bulb. T_T i kept calling them and their answering machines kept saying that they were closed, even thought as it states on their website, that they were open during the said hours.

but back to my point, you should get a new kit from ddmtuning, preferably from the store than ordering if you dont like waiting. cause i'm getting mine from the store at huntington beach in socal cause i live around the area. haha! but yeah, just a recommendation if you ever come across buying a new kit if you wanna stay with xenons than halogens!
Old 04-15-2012, 09:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow honestly that looks more like a bulb issue than a housing issue... Our housings are actually pretty decent. When I did HIDs in my wife's xD there wasn't any scatter. Maybe I got lucky...
Old 04-15-2012, 01:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Runawayrogue
Wow honestly that looks more like a bulb issue than a housing issue... Our housings are actually pretty decent. When I did HIDs in my wife's xD there wasn't any scatter. Maybe I got lucky...
got mine from mod express and they are pretty scattered as well. i think you got lucky lol.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:53 AM

Haha well its either you got lucky or me and thisor got defective bulbs from two different providers... Meh its just so annoying to have it completely unsymmetrical :/ i'm jus trying to deal with it atm hahaha
Old 06-03-2012, 12:35 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mines are scattered too....took me a while to make them look even from far...but you gotta play with the white screw on top/back of the housing untill you get a good projection...do it at nigjt agaisst a wall and a place that is dark...thats the best....and about removing the piece of metal in front of tje bulb...i heard it helps to have a better and more even projection, but i havent reied it...wich i was wondering if anyone here have ever removed the metal and how does it look?
Old 06-04-2012, 01:13 AM

So did screwing around with the white screw make it look better than scattered? And about the little blocking device in the housing, if you remove it, isn't it illegal because it will blind the oncoming traffic? o:
Old 06-20-2012, 02:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by lllphoto_le3
yeah, at first i though i got ripped off with it, i was told that once i put them on and drive away from the shop, i will no longer be able to return or exchange it with no exceptions. i was going to buy a new set, if the problem was really with the hid kits. nice to know before wasting more money.

my new question now is>>>

does anyone here have a set of halogens that has a temp close to 6000K?

even a higher one is fine, i just hate the yellowish temp.
I've had my set of 6000K for about a year now and i just can't imagine going back to stock or anything lower that 6000K anymore.

a pep boys attendant told me that i should go for their Hella bulbs.
but they're $60/pair and told me once i open them i can't return of exchange them either unless they are broken. anyone have a set on their XD?

Le3
I have Philips Crystalvision Ultra with "xenon look" parking lights. Overall effect is a crisp white light....no yellow at all.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:01 PM

i got a 2010 xd, i had bought my first hid kit from hidextra.com, GARBAGE ___ KIT. i had that scattered look and one bulb was a different color from the other. i got rid of it and i got a 5000k 55w bi-xenon kit from ddmtuning.com, BEST KIT EVER. super bright kit, both same color, NO SCATTERED LOOK. the install might seem intimidating, but if you follow the directions from the website, then you should have no problems.