Notices
Scion xD Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Removing tail lights/rear markers for tinting and rear wiper

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 07:39 PM
Banned
SL Member

Default Removing tail lights/rear markers for tinting and rear wiper

Need to know whats the easiest way to get the tail lights off the xD.Also for the little markers on the bumper. When I had the GTI it was just take a flathead and pop the little markers off, is it the same with the xD? Going to be using some VHT night shade on em.

For the tail lights in specific, is it as easy as removing the little panel that sits behind the tail light? Or do I have to remove the whole big plastic piece to get to the screws that hold the tail lights on.Also need to know how to remove the rear wiper, covers up some information for my business. Yea I've searched on here, didn't come up with anything. So if someone could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it. Thanks,

Nick
Old 03-19-2009, 03:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why cover up your lettering and your license plate? Don't hundreds or thousands of people see it every day on the streets? lol!

Anyway, as far as the tail lights, there are, I believe, two nuts that need to be removed. Then there is a clip that hold it. Just pull hard and the clip will pop out. For more info, go to TRDSparks.com and look up the LED tail lights for the xD and click on the installation instructions. I did it back in December and it is really easy. Can't help you with the other items.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:40 AM

The tail light is easy. Go into your hatch and pop open the panel covers directly covering the tail lights. Remove 2 nuts on each assembly. Be careful, the top one is a PITA if you got big hands. I lost one in the body and had to find it with a magnet. Then from the outside, pop the top out by tugging the top of the light that is held into a push grommet. Then pull up on the light because it's held by a grooved grommet on the bottom that holds the tab in place.

For the wiper, just pop the cover that is over the base. It's like a c clamp. It will flip to the right. Then remove the nut like how you remove the front wipers.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:39 PM
Banned
SL Member

Cool, thanks for the help guys, but yea I found one screw which is in plain sight when you pop the cover off, guess I shoulda looked a little harder for the other one on the tail lights.I'll just have to be gentle with the reflectors and see if a flathead will do the trick. Can't wait, the fun begins this weekend :D
Old 03-25-2009, 05:19 PM
SL Member

Let me know how the reflectors goes. I painted my emblems flat black, and I was looking to do the same color to the reflectors, but i wanted to get a good coat on it, while they are off the car. I just don't like the look of them at night.

Does anyone know if painting the reflectors will cause any problems in Nevada?
Old 03-25-2009, 06:23 PM
Banned
SL Member

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=254700 <--- link to the thread showing the tail lights and markers, as for whether you'll get any attention for tinting your reflectors in nevada, no idea.

If you do decide to remove the reflectors you'll have to get under the car and look under the bumper, there's a screw that holds part of the reflectors on that you'll have to take off before prying the reflector off (gently!) with a flat edge.

Nick
Old 03-25-2009, 08:42 PM
SL Member

Thanks, are you reflectors removed and painted, or totally stripped?

I think stripping them on a super white wouldn't look good, thats why im looking at blacking them out.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:39 PM
Banned
SL Member

I removed em, sanded em and sprayed em with some VHT night shades, 3 coats turns them black enough for me. I havnt seen pics on what they look like blacked out on a white xD yet.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:43 AM
SL Member

You will one day, haha