Notices
Scion xD Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

SuperBrightLEDs my butt.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default SuperBrightLEDs my butt.

Another forum I am on participates in a secret santa every year, and there is a thread where you can put up ideas in case anyone is stumped on what to get you. Obviously I put some things up for my car, one of them being my tail/brake lights Link 1 Link 2 that I was wanting from superbrightleds. As it turns out they aren't as bright as I had hoped. The bulbs were 13 a pop and 5 shipping, so total was $31. Below is a picture with the LED on the left and stock bulb on the right. Although the LED bulb is a little more intense, they're all pointed forward so they aren't reflected in the least bit, which makes them less bright after all. I'm kind of face palming right now because I got my guy an awesome gift and here I am with 2 bulbs I don't want.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

leds will never be as bright as incadescent (sp?) bulbs, but like you said, they are more intense if pointed in the right direction, i have the same ones on my tc from superbrightleds.com and i love them, as long as they get rid of the yellow stock color for the blue/white color then they are worth it!

also, the leds appear brighter on lighter colored cars, put the same leds in a white xd and watch they come to life! lol
Old 11-24-2009, 05:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

whoops, i just saw you were talking about the tail lights and not the License plate lights! i dont think any bulb would make much of a difference because of the red tint on the lense!
Old 11-24-2009, 06:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default LED vs Incandescent

Working with theatrical lighting, I think I have a little experience with the two.

The big problem with LEDs is not output, but beam spread. Most epoxy encapsulated LEDs have a beam spread between 15-60 degrees. Their light output is also limited by not having a suitable heat sink to draw off the heat, hence their lower lumen output. Overheat an LED, and you get a burned out LED.

Another problem is that the aftermarket LED unit is being placed in a reflector designed for 360 degree incandescent output. The reflection angles are not correct; its just not putting the light out in the right place. If you have them, compare an incandescent MiniMag with the latest LED Minimag. The LED Mini has a deeper reflector to utilize the light coming off the 180 degree output chip (they're using a 4 chip design now and even strobing it to reduce it's perceived lumen output and increase batter life). Take off the reflector and that light is blinding; far more output (and life) as compared to the old bulb.

The solution: a reflector designed around the LED source (either Lambertian or side emitting) from the ground up. And stop using 5mm and SMDs just run in a cylinder (poor heatsinking). The use of 5w Luxeon-Star V would really emit some light (definitely blinding). Lower power Luxeons (1-3w) would do well for auto use. They do look different than what you're used to (see http://www.ledsupply.com/luxeonv.php for a look), which means a total redesign of reflector housings. Hopefully, the aftermarket industry will catch up to what the flashlight and theater light people are doing.

By the way, I'm in the process of changing out my xB2 dome light with a 3w Luxeon (180 degree Lambertian output) mounted on an aluminum heatsink and controller puck with dimmer. Also trying to figure out new lighting for the cargo area: the stock light position is awful. Pics when it gets finished (don't hold your breath, so many projects going on with that car).