Notices
Scion xD Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

2009 Scion xD won't go into park

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 08:23 AM

Default 2009 Scion xD won't go into park

Has anyone else had a problem with their xD not going into park? Was there an easy fix or is this a transmission problem? The shift cable is fine, but when I try to turn the shift control on the transmission it goes into all gears but park.
I changed the transmission fluid and filter and there did appear to be some large chunks of metal, maybe the size of a bb. I'm able to drive it by cranking in neutral and using the parking/emergency brake. I have reverse adjusted up to park so I can get the key out.

Any suggestions on a fix?

Last edited by MR_LUV; 11-09-2017 at 11:28 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-11-2017, 01:33 PM
Banned
SL Member

Oh, boy, do you have troubles! Large chunks of metal in the fluid are a very, very bad sign. Have you ever accidentally shoved it into park while moving? If yes, then you have ruined your parking pawl inside the transmission. Also, the chunks of metal floating inside have likely damaged other things. You need a rebuild.
Old 12-15-2022, 11:33 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by plumbergirl
Has anyone else had a problem with their xD not going into park? Was there an easy fix or is this a transmission problem? The shift cable is fine, but when I try to turn the shift control on the transmission it goes into all gears but park.
I changed the transmission fluid and filter and there did appear to be some large chunks of metal, maybe the size of a bb. I'm able to drive it by cranking in neutral and using the parking/emergency brake. I have reverse adjusted up to park so I can get the key out.

Any suggestions on a fix?
What fixed your shifting problem? I have the same thing going on with my xB. Thanks