Notices
Scion xD Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Custom Intake Using Spectre Parts From AutoZone

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 01:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

only thing that bugs me is moving the MAF further or closer to the engine. it's at that distance for a reason. I won't change the pipe from teh engine to the MAF. the 1NZ had idle issues when the intakes were installed cuz the MAF sensor was moved too close to the engine.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:48 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by JDMJim
only thing that bugs me is moving the MAF further or closer to the engine. it's at that distance for a reason. I won't change the pipe from teh engine to the MAF. the 1NZ had idle issues when the intakes were installed cuz the MAF sensor was moved too close to the engine.
So should I worry about my car? My intake is setup so that it goes all the way down into the wheel well. The MAF is down in the wheel well right after the filter(MAF is still hooked up to stock piece its connected to,which is hooked up to the filter, all other parts of intake are aftermarket), so instead of being pretty close to the engine its alot further. I haven't noticed any difference in idle, just a little less power down low but it breathes more freely at higher speeds/rpms(and yes I know it does, have a friend with an 09 eclipse 4cyl, we've done before/after tests of stock vs. mods on a private road). Am I going to feel/see a difference if I put the MAF back up by the engine like Toyota originally has it? Or will my setup be fine? Does it dumb down the car because I have the MAF right next to where the air comes in? Or is it more of an advantage of having it closer to where the air comes as opposed to having the MAF next to the engine? Sorry about all the questions but what Jim said has me a little concerned...
Old 04-16-2009, 09:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

now take all that stuff off and make it a short ram. you'll get a little more bottom end( read engine response) back. think about this. CAI's are great yes, but the distance to which an engine has to pull that air makes a big difference. try it and tell me what you think. now if the MAF is connected to the filter, that shouldn't make a difference. but I;m not sur eI'd wnat an expensinve piece of electronics in an area where water, rocks and things can get right to it easier. that's just me. But I bet you won;t see any difference in overall performance if you make it a short ram intake save for response will be greatly inmproved. and my MPG's are way better with this and the warmer weather too
Old 04-16-2009, 09:30 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by JDMJim
now take all that stuff off and make it a short ram. you'll get a little more bottom end( read engine response) back. think about this. CAI's are great yes, but the distance to which an engine has to pull that air makes a big difference. try it and tell me what you think. now if the MAF is connected to the filter, that shouldn't make a difference. but I;m not sur eI'd wnat an expensinve piece of electronics in an area where water, rocks and things can get right to it easier. that's just me. But I bet you won;t see any difference in overall performance if you make it a short ram intake save for response will be greatly inmproved. and my MPG's are way better with this and the warmer weather too
Cool, thanks I'll think about the short ram idea.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:28 PM
SL Member

You really should try the short ram idea. I really think you will like it much better
Old 04-22-2009, 06:30 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ragingbull78
i did this today.. and the sound difference is phenomenol.. sounds like the xD grew some *****.. when going FOT you can hear the whoosh of the engine sucking in that air.
Isn't it an amazing sound..
Old 08-04-2009, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Thanks for this thread...Just did mine last night...Got it installed and mounted so it does not move around...What a piece of cake...Best $30 spent...

Name:  IMG_0023.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  92.7 KB
Old 01-04-2010, 09:21 AM
SL Member

Looks good Sub. What are those lights there? They interest me as I have blue neons on the interior of my xD
Old 01-04-2010, 06:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Originally Posted by imageex
Looks good Sub. What are those lights there? They interest me as I have blue neons on the interior of my xD
Thanks...They are cold cathodes from randode.com
Old 01-04-2010, 08:25 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

wow, you guys are going nuts with making brackets and what not...

Name:  IMG_0018.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  60.0 KB

You see the metal rod that holds the battery down? Use that to hold the MAF sensor in place... done... no money spent on making a bracket... $20 for the filter only...

At least thats all I did for mine...
Old 01-20-2010, 08:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

where is the MAF sensor?? do you really have to heat up some parts, or just take out the ol' filter housin' and install the spectre filter?? I have been following this thread and it seems like I can do it by myself, but I need just more concrete information. Thank you, folks!
Old 02-02-2010, 05:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I did the mod on friday and the car feels so cool!! I have much more power in the lower rpm's and the noise is just amazing!! Hats off for whoever thought of this!
Old 02-02-2010, 04:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea, easy cheap Hp for the win. I love the way it sounds too. i just need to figure out waht to do for exhaust now
Old 02-02-2010, 05:33 PM
SL Member

Ive got the Magnaflow exhaust from PrecisionMuffler Sounds great
Old 02-11-2010, 09:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by WellesleyScion
wow, you guys are going nuts with making brackets and what not...

You see the metal rod that holds the battery down? Use that to hold the MAF sensor in place... done... no money spent on making a bracket... $20 for the filter only...

At least thats all I did for mine...
You used zip ties didn't you? lol jk
Old 02-12-2010, 06:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, I ran aground into some issues with my car. On my way back home, I felt that the car was lacking some power and my MIL "Check Engine" light came on. I received the codes P0101 and P0171. I know that the first one deals with the MAF sensor and the other meaning that the system is running too lean! What should I do to fix the issue? BTW, I already deleted the codes, but I am sure that they will appear next time!! Should I just reinstall the stock assembly and don't bother with this? Any help will be appreciated!

Last edited by Julian_xD; 02-12-2010 at 06:06 AM. Reason: forgot to add sentence
Old 02-12-2010, 06:15 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by imageex
Spectre intake for 3" intake system for $20
Spectre 3" to 3" or 3" to 2.5" coupler with 2 metal clamps $8
Total: $28 (not including zip ties)

Bought the filter, thinking we had a 3" intake system. I believe now that a filter for a 3.5" intake system would have fit much better.
I used a hair dryer to heat up the coupler, and then stretched it over the MAF, then clamped it down.
The other end of the coupler, attached to the filter,I squeezed inside the filter, which was a tight fit, and then clamped it down also.
I used zip ties to keep the filter from moving around while driving. My concern is that eventually these zip ties will break from tension, or becoming brittle from heat.
I was hoping to secure it in a more permanent way using some metal rods. (Thanks for the rod idea TRDxD)

I have had this setup for about 1 day now, have been checking it a lot, drove a pretty good amount today, and everything is staying in place,
nothing broke, or even slipped/moved the slightest amount.

Hoping to get a Fujita CAI one day, but this setup will do just fine for now on my budget!

and from
Originally Posted by TheQuietThings
SO what size filter do we need 3"? or 3.5"?
This Filter believe it or not works damn well on an Injen CAI with the correct diameter I'd have to check not sure if its the 3 or 3.5" On the tC I think it's a 3.5" on the Injen CAI. But is an oil filter just like the Injen replacement ones are. Is very close to being exactly the same size. And for a fraction of the price and the filter comes with a 10 yr warranty... I figured what the hell... I wasn't gonna pay a buttload for one from Injen if this would work just fine. And has been great. Think I picked it up for less than 20 bucks, keep it oiled, and after 2 yrs... it's still doing great.
Of course, mine is on a tC....but same principle.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

man this thread is still active? this is a huge blast from the past rofl I've, since, removed my filter, but am thinking about putting it back on. Guess it'll make a fun little project for a nice Friday off!
Old 02-12-2010, 03:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i wouldn''t be too sure of that filter with the adaptor and zipties holding it all together. get the bigger diameter man!
Old 02-12-2010, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Zip ties held up for me just fine for a good while...but I got a little weary of opening my hood and seeing ghetto-fab-ness lol so I just took off the filter all together

Quick Reply: Custom Intake Using Spectre Parts From AutoZone