Notices
Scion xD Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

xD LT Header + Intake Manifold LATEST DYNO Results

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 04:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default xD LT Header + Intake Manifold LATEST DYNO Results

From Richard Holdener:

Here are the dyno results of the new long-tube header for the 1.8L Yaris TS and Scion xD (possibly other apps as well).
Equipped with just a home-made air intake, the otherwise stock Xd produced 123 wheel hp and 121 ft-lb of torque.
Equipped with the long-tube headers and 2.5-inch mid pipe (2.25 would work equally well) and no axle back, the motor produced 134 wheel hp and 134 ft-lb of torque.
At just 3000 rpm, the header and mid pipe offered an additional 15 ft-lb of torque.

Next we installed the prototype of the Xd intake manifold. The peak power numbers jumped to 148 hp and 137 ft-lb of torque.
At 6000 rpm, the intake offered gains of 16 hp.
It appears from this testing that if we add an NST u-pulley and receive the same results as we did on the 1.5L Yaris motor, the 1.8L can produce a real 150 wheel hp (possibly more if it reponds favorably to the FIC).
BTW-We already made 151 wheel hp with a version of the intake that won't be offered for sale-it adds a bit more peak power but sacrafices too much elsewhere)

Old 12-15-2008, 04:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Amazing

Great work Richard....!
Old 12-15-2008, 04:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

this is some dope stuff. so i take it these peices are almost done and will be for sale soon?
Old 12-15-2008, 04:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

neat, the dyno graphs kinda remind me of the B series Honda engines, most of the power coming from the later powerband. Richard held up his end of the deal though
Old 12-15-2008, 05:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Zefoxe
neat, the dyno graphs kinda remind me of the B series Honda engines, most of the power coming from the later powerband. Richard held up his end of the deal though
I would say that this kind of power would be more useful than the power produce by a B series. As the increase on the power of the 2ZR is more linear and available earlier.

With a B series you ONLY have power at the top. The low band and mid band power is non existent.

A couple of weeks a go I raced a Corolla TS (2ZZ-GE, 6speed, 193HP) We did 2 1/4 mile passes and I beat him both times by 1.5-2 cars difference.
By the time the Corolla hit the valve lift the Yaris was gone.

The only way he won me was from a rolling start launching at about 35mph
Old 12-15-2008, 05:19 AM
SL Member

Castrex-Thanks for posting the graphs and info. Spent a ton of time on the dyno last couple of days-will be running 1st article production version of yaris intake tomorrow and then it goes into production. Long tube header for yaris is being produced-now Xd header will go into production as well. What other apps will this fit? Yaris TS, Corolla, Matrix Vibe?
Old 12-15-2008, 05:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dynatek
Castrex-Thanks for posting the graphs and info. Spent a ton of time on the dyno last couple of days-will be running 1st article production version of yaris intake tomorrow and then it goes into production. Long tube header for yaris is being produced-now Xd header will go into production as well. What other apps will this fit? Yaris TS, Corolla, Matrix Vibe?
xD header will fit the Yaris as the exhaust routing is the same. And I have crossed checked Yaris TS and scion xD exhaust manifold and are both the same.

Don't know about header/exhaust compatibility between our cars and Corolla and Matrix.

Some Toyota tech who can cross check some part numbers?
Old 12-15-2008, 05:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Richard,

Were you able to make work the AEM FIC on the xD? I asked cause a few people have failed trying to hook one up to the Yaris.

Would you attempt to play with the timing on the xD? Do you see some extra power coming from some tuning?

Also, at 150 whp, have you checked the injectors cycle? Do they still have room for more power?
Old 12-15-2008, 03:18 PM
SL Member

Actually I am less concerned about the factory ex man itself as I am with engine/chassis orientation. Obviously the header will bolt up to the engine, but the fitment will be detemined by the exit point of the header and the length of the mid pipe. It would be nice to have 1 header fit all these aplications and attach to the same mid pipe (even with minor changes to primary section of mid pipe to facilitate different length chassis). I guess I just need to get actual vehicles to test them on. I will definitely send Castrex one for fitment on the Yaris TS and we know it will fit Xd. I am looking at a Matrix today. Can I get some feedback on a stock replacement header. We can make a better one that will offer slightlky more power but be a direct bolt-in replacement for the factory ex man. Any interest in this guys?
Old 12-15-2008, 03:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default 1

Hellz yah i am def interested.. if the price point for the header is reasonable... by no means i know it wont be cheap but with the gains your proving with your dyno i will be all over this with my gf xd... .she just wont know... lol... : )
Old 12-15-2008, 03:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

also my understanding is that after the intake mani.. i will need to run a piggyback ecu??? and get it tuned? or wassup?
Old 12-15-2008, 03:31 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

pics of the header?
Old 12-15-2008, 03:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by misformartin
also my understanding is that after the intake mani.. i will need to run a piggyback ecu??? and get it tuned? or wassup?
NOp

All of these mods and the dyno sheets posted have been done with no additional tuning. Running the stock ecu only. No additional mod required up to this point.

Richard is exploring the AEM FIC piggy back as a way to extract some extra power out of his "combo"
Old 12-15-2008, 03:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

whoa, hang on a sec. not sure if i am reading this post correct or not... but this 148whp was made with the intake AND long tube header and midpipe? what happened to 145whp with just the intake? correct me if i am wrong, but i thought that was the original deal...

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=212356
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=240773

so now to get ~145whp, ive got to purchase the extra $600 header and midpipe? (not saying i wouldnt want to, but it will be a while before more funds are available.)
Old 12-15-2008, 03:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pickledchang
whoa, hang on a sec. not sure if i am reading this post correct or not... but this 148whp was made with the intake AND long tube header and midpipe? what happened to 145whp with just the intake? correct me if i am wrong, but i thought that was the original deal...

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=240773

so now to get ~145whp, ive got to purchase the extra $600 header and midpipe? (not saying i wouldnt want to, but it will be a while before more funds are available.)
I wonder if this has to do with the exhaust set up...

I remember that for the 145whp run Richard used an open exhaust...

Now he is using a set up that could actually be used on the street...

Just my guess though...
Old 12-15-2008, 03:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by duck_dodgers_24_5
pics of the header?

This is the prototype unit

Old 12-15-2008, 03:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

correct, in this original post:

he ran a catback and an offroad pipe in place of the second cat, but was still using the stock exhaust manifold and included first cat... no header/mid pipe. hopefully he can enlighten this situation for me. i was hoping for 145whp with CAI, intake manifold, catback, and offroad pipe like he already accomplished... the header and midpipe would only add on top of the 145whp.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

From my understanding from the beginning of the relaunch for the group buy, the intake would supply at least 12 additional hp. The max hp would be 150 with the addition of Dynateks headers and a cold air intake and possibly the NST pulley.

Richard, talk to Rockland_toyota on the yaris' forums, he can help you out as far as part numbers etc
Old 12-15-2008, 05:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

20+ hp from a manifold alone would be impossible IMO without some type of forced induction
Old 12-15-2008, 05:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it sounds like it, but it also sounds like he did do it with just a CAI, the manifold, offroad pipe, and catback.

thats why im a little confused. and if i do run just a CAI, the intake mani, catback, and u-pulley, how much am i going to be putting to the wheels? richard, would you or did you dyno this setup?

regardless, those are still some nice numbers...

Quick Reply: xD LT Header + Intake Manifold LATEST DYNO Results