Notices
Scion xD Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

3S-GTE

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 02:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 3S-GTE

I was catching up on my recent issue of Import tuner and saw this article. Don't know if this is old news or what, but I didn't see a thread about it so figured I'd at least drop it in here for anyone who hasn't seen/read the article.

http://www.importtuner.com/features/..._xd/index.html

Old 08-25-2009, 03:22 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

thats the M2 motoring xD, decent work..
Old 08-25-2009, 03:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea,

I had never seen the car before I cracked open the magazine.

and the 3S-GTE is one of my favorite toyota motors , along with the 7M-GTE
Old 08-25-2009, 04:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xDTool
Yea,

I had never seen the car before I cracked open the magazine.

and the 3S-GTE is one of my favorite toyota motors , along with the 7M-GTE
That is Mike Ma's awesome creation. I know he worked on hard on it and I think he finally has it all tunes and ready to race.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey, that's a pretty cool swap. i wonder how he deals with traction in that thing.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea i talked to some people from m2 from one of the scion events we had in va. they said its a 10k swap and thats just to get it running. then theres axles and whatnot that your going to need if you wanna push it
Old 08-27-2009, 05:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xD_kidd91
yea i talked to some people from m2 from one of the scion events we had in va. they said its a 10k swap and thats just to get it running. then theres axles and whatnot that your going to need if you wanna push it
Reason why the xD is my lightly modded daily and my project platform is an old Datsun Z car

But nonetheless, the swap is impressive, and I like it
Old 08-27-2009, 05:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Reason why the xD is my lightly modded daily and my project platform is an old Datsun Z car

But nonetheless, the swap is impressive, and I like it

And how much would it cost you a full RB26 swap? drive train, Tranny, engine management, etc?

A swap will always be expensive...
Old 08-27-2009, 05:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CASTREX
And how much would it cost you a full RB26 swap? drive train, Tranny, engine management, etc?

As much as I like the turbo mills that are RB's and JZ motors, those are not my objectives, I've always been a fan of budget motors that can put down moderate power.

I am collecting parts to build an L28ET, forged pistons, after market intake manifold, fuel rail, t3/t04 turbo, Supra MkIII 440CC injectors, with megasquirt management. so far I have everything but the new turbo, manifold and rail, and have put a grand total of 600$ towards the engine, im expecting give or take 2 grand for the motor and its bits.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:23 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Getting an RB with tranny, ECU, and turbo included should be around $2800 to $3200
I hate to say it, but swapping an RB is only about $4,500 installed... assuming the shop knows what they are doing...
My 240 has an SR20DET in it... it cost me about $3500, with install and goodies...

10K on a swap is a little much... I personally would never do a swap that costs 2/3rds of the price of the car itself...
Old 08-27-2009, 07:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cool..! big respect for that kind of budget project.

I'm shooting for a $2k - $2.5k TOTAL cost for my 2ZR-FTE project. Including engine management and tuning.
I'm just above $1K on the parts and I'm only missing the downpipe.

The rest will be for the installation, management and tuning...

And I'm QUALITY parts... no second hand ebay stuff...

It can be done if you take your time!
Old 08-27-2009, 08:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cool..! big respect for that kind of budget project.

I'm shooting for a $2k - $2.5k TOTAL cost for my 2ZR-FTE project. Including engine management and tuning.
I'm just above $1K on the parts and I'm only missing the downpipe.

The rest will be for the installation, management and tuning...

And I'm QUALITY parts... no second hand ebay stuff...

It can be done if you take your time!
I agree on taking time on projects, a buddy of mine recently put a 7M-GTE in his 240Z, so I was able to get a pieced out L28ET out of an 83' 280ZX for next to nothing, which comes stock with forged rods and crank. and can use the stock exhaust manifold and jpipe with a hybrid turbo t3/t04 to match the t3 mounting points on the exhaust and add a slightly bigger compressor side. I'm just waiting now to progress any further on the build until my xD is out of the body shop and I dont need to hold my extra money in case of unforeseen expenses

I do want to see more turbo xD's though, mine just wont be one of them
Old 08-28-2009, 12:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hi everyone.

reason for being a 10K+ swap is because theres lots to do. the motor just doesnt "drop" right in. There is a lot chasis fab to be done along with relocating a lot of things. There's a lot of parts also that are needed to get it to where it's driving. All of this is included in that price range swap.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just want atleast 160-170hp and i'll be satified. anything more even better. But I know this car isnt made to make massive power like 3s-gte/ sr nd rb / and jz engines but still got it cause its a fun car to toy with (not only performance). If I just wanted power. I would of just gotten a turbo car that would just need acouple of upgrades and be done with. damn I wish i never sold my turbo'd volvo =/ lol
Old 08-28-2009, 03:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by M2-Motoring
Hi everyone.

reason for being a 10K+ swap is because theres lots to do. the motor just doesnt "drop" right in. There is a lot chasis fab to be done along with relocating a lot of things. There's a lot of parts also that are needed to get it to where it's driving. All of this is included in that price range swap.
My comment wasn't a diss on the car, the car is amazing, My point was just that there are better and much cheaper platforms to work off of, I love my xD, and if the aftermarket, and the money were there I would have never picked up a new platform for my project. It's just that theres a point where spending 10k on top of a 15k car and potentially throwing reliability out of the window if you dont pick the right people for the job, is just not as good to me as picking up a car for $500, and having a rebuilt turbo motor bolt in for another 2k. When it comes down to it, a 25k xd just wont be as fast as 25k into most other platforms, and if you go into it knowing that, then awesome, I have nothing but props for this car.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My comment wasn't a diss on the car, the car is amazing, My point was just that there are better and much cheaper platforms to work off of, I love my xD, and if the aftermarket, and the money were there I would have never picked up a new platform for my project. It's just that theres a point where spending 10k on top of a 15k car and potentially throwing reliability out of the window if you dont pick the right people for the job, is just not as good to me as picking up a car for $500, and having a rebuilt turbo motor bolt in for another 2k. When it comes down to it, a 25k xd just wont be as fast as 25k into most other platforms, and if you go into it knowing that, then awesome, I have nothing but props for this car.

No worries, I wasn't taking it as a diss. Just explaining there is a lot more work to do than some sr swap in a 240 which are dime a dozen nowadays. The xD isnt the choice of platforms either for myself, but the vehicle is a great marketing tool for the business and also a collaboration with Scion. We wanted to go and do something most anyone else wouldn't do in the first place. Be different if you will. The vehicle does get lots of recognition wherever it goes and it's doing it's job as a marketing tool to show some of what my company can do. I know it's not everyones cup of tea and thats the whole point. Cant please everyone nor do i truly care to. Our project vehicles are our project vehicles. We are currently finishing up all the sema projects we are working on including a e46 m3 that's putting out 640whp w/ stock internals on race gas and meth injection. There's more power upgrades coming for it also. Insanely fun to drive. We're currently working with our partner company JRX performance on building a turbo kit for the xD's and other scions that are affordable. But back to the xD, it is what it is. I know not everyone likes it but do i really care? To be honest not really, the car's purpose is met and doing what we originally wanted it to do.

Mike
Old 08-28-2009, 07:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default 1

amen brotha ... now let me drive the xd... : ) lol