Notices
Scion xD ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

how do you attach power cable from battery to amp?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by ScionXD08
You would think they would make an easier spot since they offer the CD upgrade with RCA outputs assuming people will install amps into the car
wow, really! wonder why not!...
Old 04-21-2009, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

jeez guys, the passenger side grommet is as easy as cake to find! and extremely easy to access from the interior as well. I will take cell phone pics tomorrow to end this thread once and for all
Old 04-21-2009, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by TheQuietThings
jeez guys, the passenger side grommet is as easy as cake to find! and extremely easy to access from the interior as well. I will take cell phone pics tomorrow to end this thread once and for all
wo easy now! i havnt even looked! just browsing the threads for some info before i went and checked it out for myself.

why are people opting to thread through the driver side instead of the easy to access passenger side ?
Old 04-21-2009, 03:47 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I didnt mean that to be offensive, but seriously, running the cable through the passengers side grommet took me less than 5 mins! I guess I am a lean guy and its easy for me to get my arm in there, but pretty much anyone should be able to do this. I guess people instinctively look to run it through the drivers side since thats the side the battery is on. However, running it through the passenger side is easier because the grommet is more exposed, and easier to access frrom the interior because the glovebox comes out and theres no need to remove the dash. The only thing you have to do is cut a small hole in the carpeting up top by the grommet hole.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cool, that would definitely help... I looked on the engine side of the firewall and couldn't find anything, that might have been the problem. I didn't look on the interior...

I been putting it off and doing the rest of the stereo work first because I didn't want to take the dash off. That might get me motivated

So do you look from the floor up, or do you take out the glove box?
Old 04-21-2009, 04:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Originally Posted by steezie
nah man that way is a real no no if u need to run it, i actually ran mine across the back of the wall to the pass side, theres a power harness grommet and its pretty butters if u need pics just lemme know
^^^ thats the man you need to listen to right there...

Mr know it all audio installer from best buy with the RS1 xD lol

you rock jay! thats why i hired you
Old 04-21-2009, 05:39 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

LOl so we have BB and CC in this thread?
Old 04-23-2009, 02:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did you happen to get a chance to snap some pics of the power wire grommet?
Old 04-23-2009, 05:09 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

its been raining the last 3 days here in NY. i will get pics as soon as it lets up
Old 05-13-2009, 09:28 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by TheQuietThings
I didnt mean that to be offensive, but seriously, running the cable through the passengers side grommet took me less than 5 mins! I guess I am a lean guy and its easy for me to get my arm in there, but pretty much anyone should be able to do this. I guess people instinctively look to run it through the drivers side since thats the side the battery is on. However, running it through the passenger side is easier because the grommet is more exposed, and easier to access frrom the interior because the glovebox comes out and theres no need to remove the dash. The only thing you have to do is cut a small hole in the carpeting up top by the grommet hole.
Here's some pics. The plug is hard to see hidden behind a wiring harness above the brain. I originally thought it was an anchor for the harness, so I was going to drill a hole by the vinyl drain line. I had pulled the wheel well out, and had just opened a new $20 drill bit, when I was taking a last look and the plug finally appeared to me. Whew

Engine compartment side. I've got that really long drill bit sticking through the hole; center of picture. (I didn't drill anything, just using it as a guide)

Removed the main glovebox by bending the top out of tracks and removing the piston at box (easy). My finger points to drill bit sticking through padding. i forced a point in the padding with the bit so I could locate on the inside then took a box cutter and cut a 'U' to let the drill through. Drill is same size as my cable. Don't exactly know the size of the prefabbed grommet hole. Just gonna pop some silicone goop on it for now.

Well, I got my cable through, but the 1/2" grommet was too small, so I was able to pull some wire covering through also to protect the cable.

I had to use packing tape and hand lotion, black tape kept tearing off.

Zip tied it up, hid the cable under the carpet and the center console and

now I have 4ga. under the passenger seat!

Five minutes my ___! Cheers!
Old 05-14-2009, 03:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks good. Seems like it might be about the same amount of trouble as the way I did it...

I ended up going with the drivers side grommet under the dash. Taking off the dash wasn't as bad as I thought (following the steps posted on here) and the grommet had two extra spots for wire, so worked good that way. Right through the firewall and into the battery. You can't even see the wire without looking hard.