Notices
Scion xD ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Overhaul on the audio side.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 05:03 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im just a big fan of Pioneer aftermarket headunits, the accsessories/additions/expandability I have is what sold me. There just wasn't that much to the scion radio's and I don't particularly like adding things like that. Simpler for me to get new HU. The price toyota/scion wanted for the Alpine HU with Navi was REDICULOUS.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by drkness
Im just a big fan of Pioneer aftermarket headunits, the accsessories/additions/expandability I have is what sold me. There just wasn't that much to the scion radio's and I don't particularly like adding things like that. Simpler for me to get new HU. The price toyota/scion wanted for the Alpine HU with Navi was REDICULOUS.
Yes, in retrospect I would NOT have gotten it. I had zero plans to upgrade anything and it was easier to convince my wife to add it to payments rather than go out and spend MORE money...

I will be changing it out someday, but after all the money we spent on the rest of the audio I need to wait a while before asking her to spend money on something else audio for my car, and on something to replace something that works
Old 07-13-2011, 07:09 PM
5 Year Member

What if I replace the factory speakers (two are blow) with the polk and add a 4 channel amp with works with the Poineer T8108? is there such a thing? I listen with my volume set between 33-40.... I want full range of sound not just the boom... I lovethe sound of the Bose system in the Nissan Altima! One of the best factory sounds I've heard hands down. They need zero modification. THEY ROCK OUT!!!
Old 07-13-2011, 09:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Zeppsin
What if I replace the factory speakers (two are blow) with the polk and add a 4 channel amp with works with the Poineer T8108? is there such a thing? I listen with my volume set between 33-40.... I want full range of sound not just the boom... I lovethe sound of the Bose system in the Nissan Altima! One of the best factory sounds I've heard hands down. They need zero modification. THEY ROCK OUT!!!
I think all Scion HUs (except the Navi unit) have a RCA output so any amp should be easy to hook up. It is a bit of a pain in the but replacing the front door speakers since the mount is also part of the speaker but not to terrible.

I wish you could hear mine, there can be TONS of boom, but doesn't have to be. I think you would change your mind about that Bose system REAL quickly once you heard what mine can do. I love the bass but I did spend over $300 on an equalizer/time alignment/crossover (Rockford Fosgate 3sixty.2) for a reason. Once I am done, all 4 front speakers (2 tweeters and 2 mid ranges) will have at least 25 bands of EQ, each...the sub channel has 10 bands and I can set the crossover settings for each speaker individually (not individual subs, but no need).

Anyway, the point is if you are looking to mimic the sound you heard from the Bose system, you will need more than just door speakers. Bass is an integral part of music and you need it to get the full effect. It doesn't have to be lots of bass, but if you are going to go as far as to amp your door speakers, it would improve the overall sound dramatically if you added a subwoofer as well. Even a single 8" will do wonders for what you hear.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:22 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The alpine unit has 3 sets of RCA's if i remember. Hooking up and amp is easy. But a good amp, good wire kit, speaker wire, speakers. your investing a lot of money. Dont buy cheap crap either. go for it or don't do it at all. I just made my own trim ring to fit the front doors out of 20g sheet metal. (lowes has it) Time consuming to make but it works great. The scion head units alone, or with an amp dont give you full sound. they just dont have many settings. Honestly, just replace it all and add some sound dampening.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Zeppsin
wow really? they must have done some upgrading bc the bose system in my Z was complete and total garbage. I ripped everything out as soon as I got the funds to do it. Sound was night and day compared to what I have now.

Started to hear some speaker rattling yesterday in my xD Guess a speaker overhaul is needed soon.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:08 PM
5 Year Member

Okay, maybe I'll get a sub in the back frist.Before I replace the factory speakers. What is the best set up for that? 10inch or 12 inch... Should I get an amp to push it? I'll be going to Bestbuy I think.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do you want a lot of deep hard bass, or just something to give the sound some more depth. And honestly I wouldnt go to best buy, id order it online. if you have a sub, you need an amp. Whats your budget?
Old 07-31-2011, 02:02 PM
5 Year Member

I want depth; I figured the bass would be more prominent any way. Under $400.00, remember I still will replace the other speakers later. I wanted to hear the diff before I changed them out. I think you suggested that earlier: 0)
Old 08-01-2011, 01:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Under $400 will be tough to get everything. What I would do is save up and buy it all at once. Any good sub will do fine, you don't need to worry about size so much since you aren't worried about volume as much. I would recommend a JL W0v2 on your budget, any size, but 10" or 12" will need less power than the 15" version. Get a GOOD 4 channel amp that does about 250-300 watts bridged and use 2 channels bridged for the sub and 2 channels stereo for the doors. No need to worry about the back doors, you won't ever hear them anyway.

I used this exact setup in my first install (JL 12" W0v2, Rockford Fosgate 6.5 components and a Rockford Fosgate T400-4 amp). The only problem is this stuff will run you over your $400 budget, the amp and sub will run around $500. You are going to have a really rough time finding quality equipment to fit your budget. $400 is not much when it comes to this stuff, especially once you start to factor in installation costs (wire, wood, hardware, etc...) and that is if you do the install.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:25 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes car audio is expensive, and once you start trying different things you'll realize just how expensive it gets.

A rough cost of whats in my car.
Pioneer HU- $700
wire harness, install kit, ipod hookup adapter. $100
JL audio 10W7- $420
Kinetik audio battery-$130
Kicker 4awg wire kit, got a deal on it -$55
Stinger fused distro block- $40
Stinger distro block (for ground)- $40
60' of Stinger 14awg HPM series speaker wire- $60
10' of Stinger 10awg " " $20
Second Skin audio sound dampening, damplifier pro. $150
Diamond Audio D6 component speakers- $500 +/- $50
Alpine PDX amps( got a deal for buying the pair) $900
Monster Cable RCAs- $200
Misc including wood, carpet, fuses, zip ties, shipping for parts. could rage another $150-$200

This is at $3465. Doesnt include power inverters, and the video set up that will be going in,
Now I use high end stuff. There is cheaper, but still excellent quality products out there. Stick with the main brands though, don't go towards off name.

Personally I Like the rockford fosgate (punch or high series) or alpine amps, they are way under rated and will not disappoint you. Use a mono block for your sub!
As far as subs. JL audio is great, Alpine type X is great. Lower end but still hits, rockford fosgate P3. Kickers are Ehhhh.

When it comes to wire Kicker and Stinger are a true guage.
Just do a lot of online shopping and searching. There's great deals out there.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:33 PM
5 Year Member

Wow! you guys know your stuff pretty good. I use to have rockford fosgate apms back in the day and a couple od punders also. Yeah, I want quality. $400.w2as for rear sub and amp. I figured the other speakers wouls be more. I'm looking on line as well. REason I was going to Best buy is my son works there. Big discounts for me on install and equipment. Like 50% off
Old 08-01-2011, 02:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Some of the off/lesser known brands can really surprise you. Arc Audio contributed products when I was building my Z and the thing sounds amazing. I was a little skeptical at first since I am the only one I know using their stuff but it sounds awesome...and the sponsorship pricing wasn't too shabby either haha.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

i have an arc audio 12 in my xb and it sounds good. how did you get a sponsorship from them?
Old 08-01-2011, 05:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by phatchef
i have an arc audio 12 in my xb and it sounds good. how did you get a sponsorship from them?
A local shop set everything up. I used to be really into the car show scene and what not. The shop used my car as their booth car for shows so they hooked me up contacting different companies and stuff.

Now I'm lucky if that car moves out of the garage more than twice a month haha.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If im getting off brand stuff free, then id use it. I just aint paying for it. the shops around town are a little shady, so I trust no one with anything.