Notices
Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

Air Condition Sound / Engine Sound

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 05:14 PM

Exclamation Air Condition Sound / Engine Sound

Hello all, I'm new to the site, I've had my XD for about 2 years now and I have a question.

I bought the manual transmission and well when I bought the car I didn't know how to drive stick, so I learned through this car. Now I don't know if I messed it up or something but the car is very loud for a new car.

It's very loud when new cars should be nice and quiet. I knew the jist of driving stick so naturally it took me about a day or 2, to figure it out.

Another thing I have noticed about the engine is when I have the AC on, it brings a whole new loud sound to the car, is that normal?

It's like I turned the vacum on and it is just super loud! It comes on and off and is not a constant sound but it doesn't seem normal at all.

Any ideas gentlemen and gentlewoman of what could be wrong if there is in fact something wrong with the car?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by SquallLHeart; 08-18-2010 at 07:39 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm guessing the vacuum sound is radiator fans cycling on and off. Probably happening during start/stop or city driving?
Old 08-17-2010, 08:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Thermos2003
I'm guessing the vacuum sound is radiator fans cycling on and off. Probably happening during start/stop or city driving?

exactly, when the AC is turned on, the fans run constant. when it's not on, depending on the temperature of the engine, the fans will come on and go off frequently (at least mine does, like comes on for 30 seconds, off for 1 minute, on for 30 seconds, off for 1 minute.)
Old 08-17-2010, 08:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the car is always kinda loud and sometime you hear it abit more when ur waiting for light to go green. you get used to it lol
Old 08-17-2010, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by JJGeneral1
exactly, when the AC is turned on, the fans run constant. when it's not on, depending on the temperature of the engine, the fans will come on and go off frequently (at least mine does, like comes on for 30 seconds, off for 1 minute, on for 30 seconds, off for 1 minute.)
Yea but is it ridiculously loud? I honestly haven't gotten used to it. I mean I dont notice it when I'm blasting music, but when Im not blasting music I do...

How about the car overall, just sitting there turned on, is it loud? if it is then i have nothing to worry about because I guess its normal but if not...
Old 08-17-2010, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Thermos2003
Well I can only hear it when I start/stop, not while driving cause its always loud while I am driving and well that too lol

But maybe it is normal, I guess...
Old 08-17-2010, 10:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JJGeneral1
exactly, when the AC is turned on, the fans run constant.
Not my xD. The fan runs when the coolant temp reaches 205F, whether the AC is on or off. If you spend much time in city driving, traffic, or otherwise slow or stopped, the fan will run a lot in hot weather.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you said you have owned this car for 2 years now. Was it always loud or did it start to get loud gradually after time? Can you describe the loud noise (other than your AC noise) unless the noise you mentioned was only when turning on the ac...

If not the ac, I am wondering if your riding the clutch and causing the throw out bearing to make noise.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:20 PM

Well I started to notice it after a year. Hmmm... the sound of the engine is just loud. It sound like the engine just very loud, and this is just when its in park, not while driving that I notice it. I hope I didn't damage anything cause of my rookie driving... Do you think a mechanic will be able to tell if I'm driving it incorrectly by looking in the engine?
Old 08-18-2010, 06:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not much description to go by. Any chance you can take a video / sound of the noise via digital camera?

If not it would be best to take it to a shop or if you have a friend who is mechanically inclined may ask that person to look quickly to see if they can hear the noise when the hood is open.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:42 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

everyone's perception or opinion on what's loud or not is different. you just stating that "it's very loud" doesn't help one bit as to if there is an actual problem or not.
yes, it's going to get relatively louder if you turn on the A/C, that's normal.

you're going to have to ask a friend that knows something to listen to the car in person. unless there's a noticeable unusual sound or noise coming from the engine, even a recording won't help determine how loud the engine is at idle.

in my own personal opinion, i think you're paranoid.