Notices
Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

fuel gauge display versus what's actually left in the tank

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 01:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I've already worn out the warranty on my 5 month old xD so here's my experience on the matter. The remaining mileage indicator and fuel gauge are "set" at 10 gallons, meaning once there are zero miles and zero fuel you've used 10 gallons of gas in the tank. Of course, the tank is slightly bigger than 10 gallons, so there is a small reserve of around .6 gal, enough to drive about another 20 miles to find a gas station.

When the fuel guage drops down to two bars you have 2 gallons of gas remaining. It then drops down to one bar with 1 gallon (including the reserve).

HTH
Old 02-20-2009, 08:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for that info. Seems about like what I have experienced.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You seem to overestimate the xD, mcbrew... or at least really push it to it's limits. You have to remember that despite how big it feels on the inside and how fast/hard it pulls, it's still a subcompact. Would you tow something in a prizm/metro/echo?
Old 03-06-2009, 08:06 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Bender_xD
These days with fuel being at such a premium and people wanting to get and stretch the absolute most out of every gallon they got, you THINK fuel gauges would have evolved, IMO they have not, much. Our car is a case in point.
I dont want to sound rude, but, aren't you still using the same amount of gas weather you refill at half a tank or at the empty mark? your not getting more out of the tank because your waiting till the light blinks, your still consuming the same mpg...

Originally Posted by mcbrew
What I meant, though, is that my Golf would go about 800-900 miles on a tank and the xD (even when I get 38 MPG) goes less than 400 miles.
But how big was the tank on the golf?

I was having a similar conversation with a friend of mine who is getting 450+ miles to a tank on his 300zx... I was like crap, I am only getting 320 miles to the tank, Then my friend pointed out that I have an 11 gallon tank while he has a 20+ gallon tank... which means I am getting about 200 miles more than he is with the same amount of gas...
Old 03-06-2009, 08:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm assuming he had a TDI, and those things carry like 14-15 gallons of diesel. Keep in mind that diesel engines are hugely fuel efficient in terms of usage, especially when driven with a soft foot.

Also, maybe bender's point was that if you fill to half way at E you're only carrying half the fuel weight? More fuel weight means more waste? I mean, if gas costs the same at home and work and it takes 2 gallons go between each why not just put 2 gallons above E in on each trip? I'd rather waste the fuel and keep a full tank and piece of mind though.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by uskrewed
You seem to overestimate the xD, mcbrew... or at least really push it to it's limits. You have to remember that despite how big it feels on the inside and how fast/hard it pulls, it's still a subcompact. Would you tow something in a prizm/metro/echo?
I'm not sure what you mean. Am I overestimating it if I put 5 adults in it? What about 150 pounds of luggage? Where do you draw the limits? What qualifies you to do so? It is a sub-compact, yes... that's why I tow within its limits: 2,000 pounds or less. I also tow well within the limits of my Sprinter van, which has a whopping 156 horsepower and can tow 6,000 pounds. If you don't think the xD can handle towing a 1,500 pound trailer, you are seriously underestimating it. The xD is about the 10th car I have owned and has the most horsepower of any car I have owned. So, to answer your question -- YES, I would tow with a Metro, Echo, etc.

Moving a properly balanced trailer is not much work for the driveline of the tow vehicle. The trailer may be 1,500 pounds, but 90% of that weight is on the trailer's wheels. Think about how easily you can push a 3,000 pound car on a flat parking lot. You aren't picking up 3,000 pounds and carrying it around... you are simply rolling it... the weight is on its wheels. The most important safety factor is braking power. I was pleasantly surprised with the stopping power of the xD with that trailer. I won't say that I didn't feel it back there, but I will say that it handled it without a fuss.

BTW, I'll be renting another uhaul trailer to move some more furniture next weekend. $15 for a day... not bad at all. I'd use the Sprinter van, but the xD is much more comfortable for the long haul. Plus, the Sprinter is having EGR issues and keeps going into limp mode... gotta get it in to the Freightliner dealership soon.

Originally Posted by WellesleyScion
But how big was the tank on the golf?
The Golf was a TDI and the tank was about 17 gallons. VW lists it as a 14.4 gallon tank, but that's the gasoline tank which can't be filled all the way due to the necessary evaporative emissions control. The diesels don't need that, so the tank can be filled all the way up. My longest tank was 903 miles, which translated to 54.3 MPG.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

question guys...u kno where it tells u how many miles u have untill empty..have u ever put like 5 bucks for gas and notice that it doesnt go up and when u put 10 or more it does go up..why is that??
Old 03-11-2009, 03:43 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by bigducexd
question guys...u kno where it tells u how many miles u have untill empty..have u ever put like 5 bucks for gas and notice that it doesnt go up and when u put 10 or more it does go up..why is that??
I have noticed that... and do not have an answer for you...
Old 03-11-2009, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My guess is that it doesn't do a 'full' reset unless you clear the Trip A meter. If it sees a small difference in the fuel level, it may not adjust, "thinking" that it could be an error based on the angle of the car. If there is more than a little change, it knows that there must have been fuel added. In other words, they built in some kind of fudge factor there to keep the reading from changing if you are going around a curve or if you park on an incline.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by bigducexd
It doesn't recalculate remaining mileage until a full tank, where it then does the average MPG of previous tank times 10 to "figure" the remaining mileage.

Basically the remaining mileage indicator is a calculator that is reset with a full tank and not based on live measurements. Try putting 5 gallons in there at a time, you'll see the fuel indicator 2/3 full with 0 miles remaining.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:45 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what nothing wrong with towing a trailer compaired to this

Old 03-16-2009, 10:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mcbrew
My guess is that it doesn't do a 'full' reset unless you clear the Trip A meter. If it sees a small difference in the fuel level, it may not adjust, "thinking" that it could be an error based on the angle of the car. If there is more than a little change, it knows that there must have been fuel added. In other words, they built in some kind of fudge factor there to keep the reading from changing if you are going around a curve or if you park on an incline.
actually i am friends with a scion master tech. they have electronics in there, not a gas "floater" like most cars. and if you over fill it you can fry them in there. weird, but true. by over fill i mean squeezing that extra 50-80 cents in it to get to the next buck.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm guessing that the electronics that get damaged from overfilling are in the evaporative emissions system. This is my first gasoline-powered car, so I may be wrong... but the evaporative system looks more complex than average. The think is about the size of a shoebox and has some sort of pump associated with it. It is supposed to run about 5 or 6 hours after you shut the car down to test for leaks.

I don't doubt that liquid fuel in there could cause damage.