Notices
tC G2 Tech and DIY Info for the Scion tC G2

DIY Permanent, NON paper, door rattle fix.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:05 AM

Can someone repost the pictures?! I need this!
Old 11-21-2012, 05:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

pics are dead in this sticky.....someone fix it please?
Old 11-22-2012, 12:55 AM

I've been considering buying a '13 tC or a '13 civic ex coupe and performance-wise, the scion leaves the honda in the dust (and I like the aggressive look of the tC compared to the '12 civic - just waiting 'till the '13 comes out in December to see how the civic looks).

Anyway, my question is how common are these rattles that a lot of members seem to be having or is it just a select few that have been affected? Are people's "rattles" exaggerated or are they truly annoying?

So far none of my cars have rattled and I would appreciate any REAL input on this rattling problem.

Thanks
Old 11-22-2012, 02:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Heisenberg
I've been considering buying a '13 tC or a '13 civic ex coupe and performance-wise, the scion leaves the honda in the dust (and I like the aggressive look of the tC compared to the '12 civic - just waiting 'till the '13 comes out in December to see how the civic looks).

Anyway, my question is how common are these rattles that a lot of members seem to be having or is it just a select few that have been affected? Are people's "rattles" exaggerated or are they truly annoying?

So far none of my cars have rattled and I would appreciate any REAL input on this rattling problem.

Thanks
I've got a 13 tc and have no rattles I love it most these people with rattles I'm sure have had assistance with subs I tore my old tc apart with subs and had rattles lol and as far as the civic thing goes I aswell looked at a civic si because of the high hp output from the factory but for the $ the tc is a much better car and can be made way faster than any civic if you so desire and as far as the next model civic its gonna look worse the new models look terrible especially the taillights
Old 11-22-2012, 04:32 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by o TaGGeD o
I've got a 13 tc and have no rattles I love it most these people with rattles I'm sure have had assistance with subs I tore my old tc apart with subs and had rattles lol and as far as the civic thing goes I aswell looked at a civic si because of the high hp output from the factory but for the $ the tc is a much better car and can be made way faster than any civic if you so desire and as far as the next model civic its gonna look worse the new models look terrible especially the taillights
This is not true. I have a 2013 RS8.0 I have not done any mods to the interior yet, but the window control panel does rattle
Old 11-22-2012, 05:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Huh maybe it varies car to car
Old 11-23-2012, 11:38 PM

It's so frustrating to get so many different answers - maybe it's just not worth it to risk having rattles in a brand new car. It's a 50/50 chance any way I look at it (rattle-wise). I know, I know... easy fixes or dealership can fix under warranty, but I would really like to spend more time enjoying and driving my new car than having it "up on hoists" getting fixed.

I really wish tc's didn't have this problem..
Old 11-25-2012, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by rsingh216
This is not true. I have a 2013 RS8.0 I have not done any mods to the interior yet, but the window control panel does rattle
^ Exactly my point.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:00 PM
5 Year Member

Hey guys sorry about the pics disappearing I have no idea what happened and I can't find the originals. Not to worry though, I've been experimenting with some new ideas to fix the problem and I think I've come up with something that will work better. I'm going to try it out tonight and I'll post a DIY if it works.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:45 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Xander451
Hey guys sorry about the pics disappearing I have no idea what happened and I can't find the originals. Not to worry though, I've been experimenting with some new ideas to fix the problem and I think I've come up with something that will work better. I'm going to try it out tonight and I'll post a DIY if it works.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:54 AM
5 Year Member

Well I found another use for plasti dip. tape off everything on those panels that have the window controls and spray a few layers onto the edges of the panels. It doesn't stop the rattle 100% but that and the foam technique (which I can't find the pictures for again, sorry guys) helps a lot.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:49 PM
5 Year Member

First to the poster who questioned if the rattle was just the result of tearing up our cars- I have noticed the rattle since day 1 before I did any mods. The 2013 is no different in any way to the 2012. Another q was whether it was just annoying or unbearable- to me- it really sucks. It is worse over bumps and what not, but out of nowhere on a smooth highway- it'll begin to rattle. I was not and will not be 100% certain if this is the locus of the rattle- but I like this idea- and I have struggled with this since i got my 2012 tc.

I wonder however if a material like moleskin might do a better job or at least just as good- better dampening quality given that it is material vs. foam based and easier to find at any drug store or mega mart/ grocery store than this other product originally mentioned? Also it is adhesive and easy to make into any shape... why not?

Will try it and report back.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:58 PM
5 Year Member

It's so frustrating to get so many different answers - maybe it's just not worth it to risk having rattles in a brand new car. It's a 50/50 chance any way I look at it (rattle-wise). I know, I know... easy fixes or dealership can fix under warranty, but I would really like to spend more time enjoying and driving my new car than having it "up on hoists" getting fixed.

It's a 10 minute fix- and if you take your time, it will not impact the interior at all. No need to slag off the whole car because of a potential rattle. Every car in this price range WILL develop a rattle. At least this one is possible to fix.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

what kind of foam are we getting for this? This kind i can find at my Home Depot, is it the right one?

Or do i need something thinner? also where under the window controls panel am i supposed to place this stuff? in the same place where the paper goes? what flat surfaces are we talking about here?
Old 02-11-2013, 06:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Foam dampening

I used the craft foam and it has been working well for past week. If you have a Michael's store (for arts and craft) nearby, they sell individual sheets for $1.50, and I only used half a sheet to do both panels. The foam is about 2mm in thickness. I used some double-sided tape to attach it to the panel. If you go any thicker, as some people have mentioned, the clips won't lock in properly.

I'll try to post some pics later on tonight if I have time to show where I applied the foam.

Hopefully you all know how to remove the panel itself (there are videos on YouTube if you're unsure).

I cut out 6 of those small squares with slits to fit over the retention clips (which I've marked with crappy red arrows), and then just cut out pieces to cover as much contact area as possible. I probably put a bit too much (even where plastic doesn't touch plastic), but there's no harm in doing so.

The images show only the driver side panel. The passenger side is very similar, except the electrical boxes are slightly different.

Hope the pics help.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:48 PM
5 Year Member

Angry Retraction

I went in- assuming that this was the culprit- the switches- and foamed up the switch panel. Did a very thorough job.

Noticed immediatley that this was not the culprit. All day yesterday when driving, i'd hear the incessant rattle- i leaned over and pressed at various parts of the door and could not isolate the noise. I pressed hard on the switch area I thought I had fixed and it did not impact the rattle. My ears seem to betray me- but the rattle seems focused more in the door, and not in the switches- possibly the mid or tweeter- but playing music does not impact it so that seems out.... possibly the lock mechanism?
Not that I doubt folks have issues with the switch plate being the culprit- here, but it is not the source of my rattle. I guess the rule out would be to undo the switch plate, and secure it possible muffled in a towel and see if I still hear the rattle. This seems a waste as I simply don't think it is located here.
I want to remove the door panel altogether and go in and see if i can find other possible culprits. I hate this, and apologize to anyone who I doubted earlier as to how innane this is. It sucks that a little noise could be so damn annoying. I highly doubt scion would be interested in helping at all. Hopefully this weekend I'll get to it, but I'm not sure what to secure any potential vibrations with even if I get in there. I'm at a loss and I hate the idea of opening up the panel, spending a few hours or so trying to work on this and finding the rattle hasn't left.

F!
Old 03-10-2013, 03:54 PM
5 Year Member

I would'nt take a Civic over a tC any day. This tiny little rattle is nothing, in my 12 tC i only have it slightly in my drivers side window switch. It seems to be pretty common, i wouldn't be surprised if Toyota issued a service bulletin to fix it at dealers. These foam fixes that need 5 mins of time and a few bucks work more then enough anyway.

I'm sure the cheap civics rattle in some places...Honda did a major refresh to the civic from people complaining that they cheapened the car out too much compared to the prior model. So hopefully they fixed it up....

but in reality you'd be giving up a lot of style, features (panoraomic sunroof, pioneer audio, flat bottom steering wheel, 18" wheels, rear disc brakes maybe?, rear hatch (i've fit a small dining room set in my trunk and it only fit because of the hatch opening) etc. Not to mention the 6 Speed Transmissions and the much bigger and more powerful engine.

i've driven the new civic....in terms of handling, driving fun and straight line performance...it's no where close..

the SI is only one you can really compare to the tC, power levels are close, transmission is a 6spd, performance and handling aren't far apart either. tC still wins practically with the hatch & automatic option and maybe even price depending on where you live.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dynomatted inside skin and outer skin door for road noise
Then put pieces of sound deadener on back of door panel to absorb rattling especially around speakers ports in door panel then the switch panel I pulled a lot of the black goo off bottom or sound deadener material and had it outline the door switch panel so when it sits it was on the goo

100% rattle free all month. So happy I have huge bass too.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:10 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by tea_sea
I used the craft foam and it has been working well for past week. If you have a Michael's store (for arts and craft) nearby, they sell individual sheets for $1.50, and I only used half a sheet to do both panels. The foam is about 2mm in thickness. I used some double-sided tape to attach it to the panel. If you go any thicker, as some people have mentioned, the clips won't lock in properly.

I'll try to post some pics later on tonight if I have time to show where I applied the foam.

Hopefully you all know how to remove the panel itself (there are videos on YouTube if you're unsure).

I cut out 6 of those small squares with slits to fit over the retention clips (which I've marked with crappy red arrows), and then just cut out pieces to cover as much contact area as possible. I probably put a bit too much (even where plastic doesn't touch plastic), but there's no harm in doing so.

The images show only the driver side panel. The passenger side is very similar, except the electrical boxes are slightly different.

Hope the pics help.
How did that work for u?
Old 05-12-2013, 12:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MadFunnyBruh
How did that work for u?
Unfortunately, it's not the best fix for the problem. At low bass settings, it's fine (the door used to rattle with any bass at all). When I turn it up to level 2 or 3, I start hearing some pretty bad rattling. I'm going to have to try the dynomat technique that was mentioned above.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY Permanent, NON paper, door rattle fix.