Notices
tC G2 Tech and DIY Info for the Scion tC G2

DIY tC2 Independent Fog Light Mod Thread 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 03:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default DIY tC2 Independent Fog Light Mod Thread 2.0

DISCLAIMER: MOD AT YOUR OWN RISK - I am not responsible for you doing this incorrectly and damaging your car and/or yourself. This is what worked for me and if it doesn't for you, oh well.

Since the pictures on the old thread mysteriously disappeared and a few people still need this info, I figured I'd post up a 2.0 version of the thread. So let's get crackin -

NOTE - This is meant to work with fog lights that are installed from the factory/dealer and may or may not work with aftermarket fog light kits you install yourself.

Tools you'll need
- 10mm socket
- Wire strippers
- About 3ft of wire (14g recommended)

Not necessary, but good to have -
- Wire crimpers
- Wire butt connectors
- Female spade connectors
- Wire taps
- Electrical tape

First off, get in the car and remove your radio bezel by pulling on the edges until it pops off, unplug the plug behind the clock and set the panel to the side. Next remove the radio by unscrewing the 4 10mm bolts on all 4 corners of the radio. Pull it out, unplug all connectors and set it aside.

Under where the radio was There is a bracket holding the relay for the fog lights, unscrew the 10mm bolt holding it in place and pull it up so you can access the wires.

Name:  HV19kub.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  100.6 KB

Sorry about the cluttery wiring but you get the idea.

Locate the 18g RED wire and cut it with adequate room to strip. Strip and extend the part of the wire the is coming from the relay. The other half can be left there.

Name:  9l7PCAu.png
Views: 16
Size:  960.1 KB

Run the wire under the dash so it can reach to the fuse box under the driver's side of the dash.

Remove the panel covering the fuse box by pulling on any side until it pops off.

Depending on how you want them to work, you will have to locate a wire for power.

If you want them to turn on with the parking lights, locate the 18g LIGHT GREEN wire coming out of the white large plug from the fuse box,
tap into this wire and connect the wire you ran earlier to send power to the fog lights via your parking lights.

Name:  1243RTj.jpg
Size:  61.6 KB

If you want them to turn on with ignition (as in they will turn on any time the car is on so long the button is activated), locate the 14g GREY wire in the loom directly in front.
(You may have to cut through tape to access it), tap into this wire and connect the wire you ran earlier to send power to the fog lights via ignition.

Name:  TiYTppQ.jpg
Size:  77.8 KB

Everything is now connected so you can put back all panels and your fog lights are now independent!

I hope this helped!
Old 01-16-2015, 04:06 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

AWESOME! STICK'D
Old 01-16-2015, 10:03 PM

Did the light green wire version "fogs on with parking lights" Here's my problem.. Did everything right but now my fogs do not work also when I turn my headlights on the lights in my head unit fade completely out and as soon as I turn my headlights off the head unit lights come back on lmao help..
Old 01-17-2015, 12:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is what happened last time I did it. The heat/ac ***** would not light up. After a few days it started to smell like burned plastic. The wires were melting.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why not just run your fog wiring independently from the lights. Control them with a separate switch
Credit to: SoKrispy

Old 01-25-2015, 12:39 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Xversa
Why not just run your fog wiring independently from the lights. Control them with a separate switch

Did you even read the post? *facepalm*
Old 01-25-2015, 04:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

IMHO Its a lot easer, and SAFER to run separate wiring and not run the risk of damaging your car's electrical system.
This will also work with factory installed lights. You just bypass the factory wiring.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

IMHO Its a lot easer, and SAFER to run separate wiring and not run the risk of damaging your car's electrical system.
This will also work with factory installed lights. You just bypass the factory wiring.
Like I said in the post this is what worked for me. I just reposted the instructions from the old thread where the pics disappeared. If you want the make your own thread on how you do it, be my guest.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is what i did with mine. Got the power of the fog switch connected to park lights so when you turn your park lights on you can either turn it off or on. I also did wired it to my cigarette lighter but the switch has a light constantly on so i decided to remove and connect it to park lights.
Old 02-21-2015, 05:56 PM

Hi everyone. I bought an aftermarket fog light for my 2011 tC and wanted to know if there was a way to use the original fog harness and hook it up to my fog lamps. I searched for 2 months for an answer and found nada.
I was hoping someone could help figure out how to manage this wiring mess.

Thank you kindly.

Old 02-22-2015, 05:04 AM
5 Year Member

you are the man! been looking for the parking light wiring for days now.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:10 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BWizzard
hi everyone. i bought an aftermarket fog light for my 2011 tc and wanted to know if there was a way to use the original fog harness and hook it up to my fog lamps. i searched for 2 months for an answer and found nada.
i was hoping someone could help figure out how to manage this wiring mess.

thank you kindly
No way. The plugs wont fit unless its OEM.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:28 PM
5 Year Member

okay I tired the green wire and I think I used there wrong one. There is about 5 different green wires with the grey dots coming off of the wiring. So I just used the grey one.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by jaspercanda
No way. The plugs wont fit unless its OEM.
thanks man. i listen to you and did the wiring with the aftermarket harness. but now i have another noob question : what collor is the ignition wire under the steering wheel?
Old 02-24-2015, 02:12 PM
5 Year Member

big fat grey one coming out of the 2nd (middle) connector.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by TCnewguy
big fat grey one coming out of the 2nd (middle) connector.
thanks a lot.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:01 PM

almost there . i did some testing after hooking up to the ignition aqnd completingg all the wirring and all is GOOD! im wso happy you guys could help with this. even thought i was stupid enough to ask questions that were answered in the original post....

i will wait for warmer temperatures to go uner and finish the instal.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:34 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

There is a 4-pin plug behind the panel with the controls for the side mirrors. It will probably be taped to a bundle of wires. This plug is for the factory fog light switch. The wires are tan, brown, blue, and white/black. The brown wire shows 12 volts when the parking or headlights are on. If you have an aftermarket fog light switch, this is unused, and will serve the same purpose as the light green parking light wire, and that brown wire is right where you need it to be.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:15 PM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

Thumbs up