Notices
tC Tech and DIY Info for the Scion tC

Dome Lighting Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 08:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well guys i think im the first one to blow there fuse trying this mod . I tried to get replacement fuse at autoze/pepboys/autoparts but none of them have the fuse. I might need to go to my dealer and get the fuse there. I will try on monday.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I did the same thing...twisted the housing first and it went up into the dome housing....with thin screw drivers and vice grips I was able to position the housing back in its place though.....probably took 15 minutes.....no ideas as to how to help you though, sorry.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Got my LED's yesterday. Everything was as this thread said it would be. The only additional info I can add would be the following:

The bulbs were slick and hard to pull out. The right map light came easy but couldn't get the other two out. So I got a piece of 1"x3" 800 grit sandpaper and folded it over once to make good grip. Then I didn't have to squeeze the bulb and they came out.

The dome light gave me some troubles also. Put the new blue LED in and it didn't work. Took it out and looked it over, put it back in. Nothing. Took it out and switched with one of the LED map lights and the socket was working because the white came on. Put the blue back in and nothing. Got ____ed, thought it was busted. Took it out and turned it around and it worked. Don't know if this was a polarization problem or just a bad connection.

Everything else went fine. The back bulb was a little bigger than stock but stays in the socket fine so... Will take some pics later to add to the ones here.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:24 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

heheh.. i got a 2 million color led as my dome light... granted it's not cheap though.. works in sync with my underbody lighting.. haha...

had to rig it though cause it was actually a double ended "bulb" and was originally intended for the rear dome light but found out it was too long.. but either way.. it fits well in the dome light... (had to just mess around with some wiring)...

now i need to do the map lights and the rear...
Old 04-11-2005, 02:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

pics???????????
Old 04-19-2005, 06:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

very nice DIY post, I was able to install 3 white LED in the front and 1 blue LED in the back dome at night within 15min. I used one of those smaller flat head to open the housing, it was a snap. when I first installed it non lite up, then i wiggled it out and turn it around and all lite up (polarization issue) so if yours didnt liight up, just take it out and put it in the other direction.

couple issues you might want to know:
1. The white LED give the car's inside a florecent light look and are not as bright as the stock bulbs. THe blue one seems brighter (color spectrum issue prehapse)

2. when you leave the lights at "Door", and once u close your door and wait for all the lights to go out I was still able to see very very faint hint of light emmiting from the center LEDs (both front and back) not sure if this will drain the battery in the long run, or the LEDs are extra sensitive.

other than that, the blue and white both looks great but i wish it was brighter.
the actually brightness of the white LEDS are about 30% less than what it appears in the DIY pictures. hope this helps.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:26 PM
5 Year Member

hey where did you get those lights from im willing to order some...?!?!?!
Old 06-07-2005, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

any updates? more pics and hatch light?
Old 06-12-2005, 07:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just out of curiosity, would you be able to run down to your local autozone or discount auto parts store and pick up a pack of these babies? Although I'm sure they come one in a pack, I was just looking to save myself $5 on shipping. I hope ya can. (yes, go ahead, call me a miserly tightwad penny pincher)
Old 06-17-2005, 03:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

gg, even this job seem so simple, but i have no experience with working with cars. I LOVE to read about things before tinkering so thankyou for the info
Old 06-24-2005, 01:53 PM
SL Member

The answer to this:

is there really a need for a HOW TO on changing light bulbs? do you guys inquire on the net before changing your household light bulbs?

is this:

I need some help guys. I tried to change my lights but i turned them and the little thing were the bulb guys pop up and i had to remove the whole dome
Go back and take a gander at the pics of the light sockets...and for some idiotic reasone there are directional arrows that instruct to turn it. If you didn't research before trying it, ANYONE would think that's how you get the lights out...and what happens is the socket falls 'in' to the ceiling and then you got to take the whole dome off.

Don't underestimate people...obviously they are smarter than the guy who prints the instructions.

As far as getting the dome off, just google it. There are a lot of forums on this topic because it's happened to a lot of people.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:56 PM
SL Member

One other question...the pics in this thread and the link to superbrightleds is for 6-led bulbs. Has anyone tried anything else? I ordered 5-led because the light emitted has wider coverage, though it may not be as bright as the 6-led. Just wondering if anyone has tried different types of LED configs.
Old 06-24-2005, 06:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i using inverted cone wedge ones for my dome will post pics tonight if i have time.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kenchimuyo
One other question...the pics in this thread and the link to superbrightleds is for 6-led bulbs. Has anyone tried anything else? I ordered 5-led because the light emitted has wider coverage, though it may not be as bright as the 6-led. Just wondering if anyone has tried different types of LED configs.
please post pics once you get 'em installed, i was thinking about getting the 5-led config as well
Old 07-02-2005, 01:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

looking great.. I'll get these in a bit
Old 07-03-2005, 07:06 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I use Uv 4 LED for the front (dome only) and it looked great but kinda dim compare to blue (what I have now, 6 LED). And this has been brought up earlier in the thread, if you have LED for the front and back, one will stay lit (not full strength) when all doors are closed if it's set to "door". I know LEDs draws very little power but does anyone know how this effects the battery? Thanks.
Old 07-03-2005, 07:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

cool
Old 07-04-2005, 03:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im thinking its residual power left over from the circuit. eventually it will probably go out. since led draw little power it should have a minium effect on a battery at most. but dont hold m to it.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:54 AM
5 Year Member

Has anyone tried changing the turn signal lights on your side view mirrors to like... blue? if you did then could u post pics... i wanna see what that would look like

and have you guys tried changing the rear license plate ones.. I wanna see how that looks too. Thanks
Old 07-07-2005, 02:01 AM
5 Year Member

and i forgot to ask... has anyone tried green for the lights? i would rather get blue but it seems like everyone has that. If you guys put green in then could you please put up pics? and what do you guys think about using green for the gauges and center console? iounno if anyone has tried that or if that would even work or anything.

Quick Reply: Dome Lighting Install