Notices
tC Tech and DIY Info for the Scion tC

Intake Install (Weapon R)

Old 03-11-2005, 07:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Intake Install (Weapon R)

This is a install guide for the Weapon R Secret Weapon Intake for the 2005 Scion tC.

Tools needed:
10mm socket driver
5/16 socket driver
Phillips / Flat Screw Drivers
Vice Grip Wrench

Here is a picture of what is inculied in the Weapon R SW Intake kit.

Start by disconnecting your battery by unhooking the negative battery cable. This will reset the ECU.

1.0 - Remove the stock air intake system.

1.1 - Remove the engine cover by unscrewing the two 10mm bolts holding it down and pulling it straight up. This needs to be done to gain access to the cam air breather tube.

1.2 - Unfasten the clamp holding the intake tube to the top of the air box using a 10mm socket driver, then remove the tube from the top of the air box. Next undo the clamps for gaining access to the air cleaner. Then remove the air cleaner and unplug the MAF sensor from the top of the air box. Remove the top of the air box.

MAF sensor

1.3 Unclip wiring that is connected to the lower part of the air box. Use a small flat head driver to push in on and undo this plastic clip for the wiring.

1.4 Unbolt the three bolts that are holder the stock air box into place. Use a 10mm socket to remove these bolts. The bolt removed closest to the motor on the left side will be used to mount the support bracket for the new intake. Now you can remove the lower air box. Now you can also remove the intake tube that goes into the fender. This is held in place by two Phillips head plastic screws. The bottom plastic screw is hard to get at so just pulling up on the finder piping will allow it to release itself.

1.5 Remove the air breather hose from the cam cover and from the intake tubing. This hose is held in place using small squeezable clamps on each end. Squeeze each clamp and work the tube off of each end.

1.6 Remove the evap system purge valve that is connected to the air intake tube.

1.7 Remove the large squeezable clamp that is connecting the intake tube to the throttle body. Note will need to reuse this clamp will the WR SW intake kit. Use some Vise grips or a adjustable wrench to compress the clamp and then pull the intake tubing off of the TB. Also unclip the smaller air line running above the intake tubing.

1.8 This should be where you’re at, everything removed and ready for the new intake. At this point you may want to zip tie or tape up the evap system purge valve and MAF sensor connecter just to get it out of your way for the new intake install. I used one large zip tie and hooked it to my wiper.

2.1 Install the WR 2.5” to 3.0” adapter to the TB. You will be using the smaller 2.5” part of the adapter to connect to the TB. You will also be reusing the stack clamp that was used on the TB. You can squeeze this clamp all the way together and it then can lock open. Place the clamp on the adapter and then the adapter onto the TB as far down as it can go. There is a **** on the TB to stop it from going too far, make sure to push it down as far as you can and then release the clamp down low on the TB. Pull on it a few time to make sure it doesn’t pull right off or move around.

2.2 Place one of the four clamps WR gave you on the 3” adapter connecting to the TB. Next place the WR SW intake tube into the 3” adapter on the TB. Push it into the adapter as far as you can and then loosely tighten the clamp using a 5/16 socket.

2.3 Place the filter adapter onto the intake tube and place two more the WR clamps on that. Now take the supplied bracket and bend it 3 inches down from the top at a ninety degree angle. Hook this bracket under the filter connector clamp closest to the motor on the left hand side, on the bottom of the intake tube. Screw in the supplied rubber bolt thing into the hole closest to the motor from the spot that one of the stock air intake box bolts where. Line up the bracket and the rubber bolt thing and loosely tighten it down using the supplied lock nut and washer.

2.4 Place the air filter onto the 3” adapter and tighten it down. Make sure everything now has good clearance and make any needed adjustments. Now go back and tighten down all the clamps and nut. Remove the MAF sensor from the stock air box using a small Phillips head screw driver. Reinstall and reconnect the MAF sensor into the new intake tube using the black Hex screws. Install the new WR air bether tube to the intake tube and the cam cover. Use the factory clips on the new air beather tube. Reinstall the engine cover using the two 10mm bolts.

2.5 Reconnect your negative battery cable and double check your work. Make sure you have the intake tube connected very well to the throttle body; it may take some playing around with to get it perfect. You may also want to zip tie the evap system purge valve to some of the air hoses around it so it doesn’t move around, just don’t clamp off the hoses. Weapon R should have had a bracket for the evap system purge valve so it could mount to like the intake tube like stock. I’m going to look into making something for this a let you guys know how it goes. Now step back and take a look at your new wonderful intake.

2.6 After having the battery disconnected your need to do a few things. First reset you windows and moon roof. Turn the car to the on position but do not start it. The windows can be reset by rolling them all the way done and then back, hold them in the up position for a few extra seconds. Do the moon roof the same way, open it fully and hold it there. Try these steps a few times if it doesn’t work at first.

2.7 After having the ECU reset start the car and let it idle for 5 to 10 mins after installing the intake. Also, take it easy on it for the first couple miles so the ECU can pick up on the new air flow from the intake.

Hopefully this helps with the install of this intake.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice post.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

nice..... you should buy a k and n cone filter.. that weapon r one doesn't look too hot....
Old 03-11-2005, 10:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

GREAT POST!!! I am going to print this out and install my intake during part of my Spring Break!!
Old 03-11-2005, 10:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh wait, i'm retarded. where does the silicone tubing hook up too?

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2005, 12:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Good job! Adding this to the tech section. It'll be moved to the FAQ section in a week or so.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

is it ok if you just use one of the clamps with the weapon r, instead of the stock one on the tb?
Old 03-11-2005, 03:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by duston831
is it ok if you just use one of the clamps with the weapon r, instead of the stock one on the tb?
I don't see that being a problem as long as you done run out of thred on the clamp when tighting it down. I was thinking that was why the Weapon R instructions wanted us to use the stock clamp and thats the way I did mine, but if it works it works. Also make sure to check those clamps for tightness after driving awhile to make sure nothing comes loose.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by UCSDPinoy
oh wait, i'm retarded. where does the silicone tubing hook up too?

Thanks!
It'll hook up just like the old one you remove, to the intake tube and the cam cover. It's a no brainer once you see it in person.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:27 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks for the post man! Great pictures and explanation! I'll print it before it's removed from the forum. Can't wait to install mine!!! Hope NYC gets some good whether next week, so I don't freeze myself outside installing the intake!
Old 03-11-2005, 07:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For those of you thinking about changing out to a K&N filter, it should be noted that our Secret Weapon filter outflows the K&N by a wide margin. A few of the board members who came to our BBQ had a chance to see a comparision test between our Secret Weapon, Dragon, and a K&N filter on our new flowbench display. Our current filters are much thicker than our previous Dragon filters that were throwing CEL, and our Secret Weapon Intake has a much better velocity stack design.
Old 03-12-2005, 10:14 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The intake was so simple to install and sounds awesome

I wish that I could get a Weapon R Header already I want to order the exhaust and do it in a whole shot.

[/url]
Old 03-13-2005, 12:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

is there a difference between "out flowing" and "out filtering" ?

yeah.. so you can flow more air... but can it filter as good?
Old 03-13-2005, 11:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by AKgoalie7
is there a difference between "out flowing" and "out filtering" ?

yeah.. so you can flow more air... but can it filter as good?
Actually yes their is and the Weapon R does both better than the K&N.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

great write-up. i'll most likely be getting me one of these after my coilovers come in.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

when first installed my weapon r intake for the tc, i had no damn clue how to fit that bracket it at....

my friend told me to hook it up to the side towards the tip of the filter and wire the bracket to the filter to hold it....

few minutes later i saw your pic, and now it properly installed haha..
Old 04-22-2005, 05:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Diluvium
when first installed my weapon r intake for the tc, i had no damn clue how to fit that bracket it at....

my friend told me to hook it up to the side towards the tip of the filter and wire the bracket to the filter to hold it....

the weird thing is that why is my intake look different from everyones pics????? my sensor is layed to the side and the coolent pipe stick to the other side??? do i have a older model or new one??
Old 04-22-2005, 05:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Diluvium

the weird thing is that why is my intake look different from everyones pics????? my sensor is layed to the side and the coolent pipe stick to the opposite side??? do i have a older model or new one??
Old 04-22-2005, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member

Which is better weapon r or the k&n Typhoon Cold Air Intake?
Old 04-22-2005, 08:23 PM
5 Year Member

Which is better weapon r or the k&n Typhoon Cold Air Intake?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Intake Install (Weapon R)