Notices
Scion tC 2G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

DIY: Replace Flasher Relay to Avoid Hyper Blinking with LED Turn Signals

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 09:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i apologize in advance if this is posted somewhere.

i can't get my front led signals to work in my 2015. i'm using the LM449 relay. rear red signals work fine. i got amber 1156 leds for the front, both cheap kind and error free kind, and neither will work. the regular stock bulbs work fine but once i put the led bulbs in i get nothing.

anyone know what the issue is ? do i still need resistors even with the relay ? i even bent the contact prongs out a little in the bulb housing in case they weren't fully getting contact with the bulb and still got nothing.

Last edited by deviant_tc; 11-28-2014 at 09:55 PM.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:42 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by deviant_tc
i apologize in advance if this is posted somewhere.

i can't get my front led signals to work in my 2015. i'm using the LM449 relay. rear red signals work fine. i got amber 1156 leds for the front, both cheap kind and error free kind, and neither will work. the regular stock bulbs work fine but once i put the led bulbs in i get nothing.

anyone know what the issue is ? do i still need resistors even with the relay ? i even bent the contact prongs out a little in the bulb housing in case they weren't fully getting contact with the bulb and still got nothing.
does the new relay work with the stock filament bulbs? If it doesn't it's probably the relay.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:56 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by gyrotech
does the new relay work with the stock filament bulbs? If it doesn't it's probably the relay.
yes, i'm actually running my stock filament bulbs up front right now and my red LED bulbs in the rear and they are all working fine and blinking properly. but once i install the LED bulbs in the front, they don't light up. my rear bulbs and mirror signals still flash normally without any bulbs in the front at all. for some reason i just can't get the front bulbs to light up.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by deviant_tc
yes, i'm actually running my stock filament bulbs up front right now and my red LED bulbs in the rear and they are all working fine and blinking properly. but once i install the LED bulbs in the front, they don't light up. my rear bulbs and mirror signals still flash normally without any bulbs in the front at all. for some reason i just can't get the front bulbs to light up.

Did you try flipping the bulb 180 degrees? How about swapping the bulbs front to rear (if they're the same size) just in case you have bad bulbs.
I always test mine before installing on the car.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Xversa
Did you try flipping the bulb 180 degrees? How about swapping the bulbs front to rear (if they're the same size) just in case you have bad bulbs.
I always test mine before installing on the car.
yes, i've tested them. they work fine in my other vehicle.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:10 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Smile Thanks to this old thread!

Sorry to revive an old thread, but after reading through all the posts, I decided to finish my LED swap for the exterior (already did interior awhile ago) on my 2011 tC.
Can confirm the CF18-08 from SuperbrightLEDs work fine. OEM clip is a pain, ended losing part of the clip to the frame, but can still attach aftermarket relay to it (a bit looser than before). Using 7440 LEDs from theretrofitsource.com (really bright 6 LED bulb using CREE chips, 360° illumination. $45 for a pair though). Back tail lights are already LED, due to Spec D LED tail lights. No hyper blink, and locking/unlocking confirmation works.
I notice a short delay and a shorter blink for the first blink, but it's normal afterwards. From what I gathered from all the posts, I guess that's a normal thing.

Last edited by keenkreations; 03-18-2015 at 06:23 AM.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does anyone know if this flasher will work with 2016 tC?

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-13-2021 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 04-01-2021, 05:26 AM
SL Member

Thank you all for this thread, this worked! Finally switched the blinkers to LED now I'm full LED all around.

Yes, it was difficult to get to and remove the flasher relay. I removed the whole relay with clip then was able to recover the little white clip using a small screwdriver, which then went into the new vleds relay then it just clipped back into the car. Bulbs are from superbrightleds - amber color all around - and are brighter than stock. Nice crisp blinking changes the look of the car.

As others already mentioned, first blink has a delay. Meaning when you signal to turn, the first light-up stays on a little bit longer than just a flash, then the flashing continues at its normal pace. Not a big deal but it is noticeable. Key fob lock/unlock flashing works as normal. Thank you all for your contributions. 👍
Old 04-01-2021, 03:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Didn't even know this thread existed.

FWIW I have the Diode Dynamics SmartTap relay (adds the tap-to-signal function and some other cool stuff) and there is no delay or elongated blinks. Feels like a stock feature functionality - only downside is the customization for # of blinks and etc needs to be reprogrammed when the battery is disconnected/replaced, but tap-to-signal is awesome.
Old 04-07-2021, 07:45 AM
SL Member

Dang I wish I had known that Diode Dynamics had that
Old 12-13-2021, 11:19 PM

Default Can someone please help me???

For about a month now, the beeping sound my tC makes when the keys are in the ignition, goes off every time I open the door, and the hazards will blink on the exterior of the car but not the dash and there is a clicking noise like the turn signals are on but the hazards are not activated. Not sure what is going on and I've been looking for a solution to this issue but it literally seems like I'm the only one that this has ever happened to. Someone PLEASE help me, this is extremely frustrating.
Old 05-08-2022, 07:44 PM

Default Umm...

Originally Posted by Cristhekid93
For about a month now, the beeping sound my tC makes when the keys are in the ignition, goes off every time I open the door, and the hazards will blink on the exterior of the car but not the dash and there is a clicking noise like the turn signals are on but the hazards are not activated. Not sure what is going on and I've been looking for a solution to this issue but it literally seems like I'm the only one that this has ever happened to. Someone PLEASE help me, this is extremely frustrating.
May want to start a new thread with this issue...
Old 05-12-2022, 08:44 PM

Default Here's my setup...

Got myself a 2013 tC, figured this thread my need an update for stuff i used off amazon...

100% works and no issues!

Brake lights (2 pcs): ALLA LIGHTING Upgraded Version...
Amazon Amazon

Flasher (Adjustable Blink): TOMALL 8Pin Adjustable LED Turn...
Amazon Amazon

Turn Signals (2 pcs): KATUR 2pcs 7440 7440NA 7441 992...
Amazon Amazon

I didn't even bother popping out the Oem Flasher. I just bought 2 sided sticky pads and stuck it on the side of the original, in case I sold it and next owner wanted regular lights.

Fyi: watch the Greyish pipe on the center console side, it's hot if you've had your car running.

Last edited by CrzyTrkr; 05-12-2022 at 09:07 PM.