Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Corrosion on Positive Terminal

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 12:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Corrosion on Positive Terminal

So I went to clean the corrosion off of my positive terminal today. Which I still haven't figured out why it is so corroded. Anyways; I clean everything with a wire brush/baking soda etc. In the process I break the bolt that holds the terminal on the post. So i go get a new bolt & hook it up in the parking lot. I had some battery terminal protectant that i sprayed on as well. Go to start it up and I noticed right way it was sluggish/idled odd it was rough. I took the posts back off made sure everything was ok etc. Then i noticed the VSC TRAC WARNING lights on. So i went to have the battery & alternator tested. They are 100% fine. I did nothing else to my car...what would cause this to happen out of the blue? 2005 scion xB. Everything was running smooth until i cleaned the corrosion off.

I've been reading about this problem, but no none seems to have the rough Idle I have...I do have a fujita f5 cold air intake aswell..going to advanced auto to get the obd read tonight...
Old 04-25-2012, 12:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

After disconnecting the battery the car has to relearn some things and will idle funny for a few minutes just let is sit for a while and take it out for an easy drive. If it feels like it may stall while stopped just give it a little gas to bring up the rpm's
Old 04-25-2012, 12:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how long would it take to "straighten" up per say?
Old 04-25-2012, 12:53 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Takes about two "drive cycles" which are essentially cold start, some idle time, some start-stop-shift city driving and at least some sustained high speed cruise - as on a highway. A couple of complete cycles like that (maybe a half hour's driving), driving as you normally would, should get your patterns learned.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

or it could be p0172 (Fuel System Too Rich "Bank 1") at least that's what the diagnostic says...Apparently some of the corrosion from the terminal that i was cleaning must have gotten to a sensor somehow? Is it possible that the sensor hasn't failed and just needs cleaned? The sensor O'reilly auto parts quoted me for is $150...any ideas where the HO2S sensor(s) are?
Old 04-25-2012, 05:07 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Your Scion's black box actually could be running the engine a bit rich until it learns the specifics of your exact engine by being driven.

Whenever power is removed it resets itself back to the original factory settings until it re-learns what it needs to modify for your particular engine and driving style.

You may just have a unit that was reset and will re-learn, or you may have a problem that needs looking at.

If it were mine (it's not) I would give it a chance to learn, and if it doesn't, THEN I'd take a look at the sensors in the exhaust...