Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

E85

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 05:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea I wouldn't be so bold as to say "every single Scion ever made can do it" as you haven't gone long enough for us to expect problems. Of course I haven't done much research.

You've got the hypothesis, the research. Now the test.

"every single Scion ever made can do it"

I think next year is a good time to say that again...
Old 07-29-2007, 03:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Ahhh ____.

Yes i shouldn't be so bold the check engine light came on last night.

The borderline between running too lean and right on is some where between E72 and E83 of sorts when you do the math. Damn close but no cigar.

As you are expecting this is my retraction, i just got to caught up with being ____ed off about the whole oil/ethanol industries war.

So yes when need that damn computer after all.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bummer. I didn't expect anything but I was still hoping.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Conversion Kit

[size=18]YOU NEED A CONVERSION KIT!!
http://www.change2e85.com/servlet/Detail?no=108

This one should make your car act the same as a FFV. It determines between blends. Not shure if it voids the warrantee but this company said that they have only had 1 return so far over the Large amount they sold.

The use of corn to make ethanol is bad like raising the price of corn. But there are more economic ways to make ethanol like using sugar cane. You can get a government permit to make ethanol (AS A FUEL NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION) and this is for anyone.

If you do the research on the internet you can find out all about this.

This is the firs site I have seen that sells them for scions.
I talked to these people and they have been very helpful. Yes I actually spoke to a human! I highly recamend talking to them if you are intrested in this. They say at most you can lose 15%MPG but that seems like a overstatement to cover them selfs.
anyway check it out and tell me what you think.
Ben
Old 09-07-2008, 05:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its been enough time spent away from this topic. i'm looking for updates.

has anyone gotten the conversion kit yet?

has anyone used octane booster with the e85?
Old 09-14-2008, 08:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dunno but im really thinking of trying e85, a bunch of other turbo cars i know (srt4, hondas, dsm's, etc) have had GREAT luck with e85, more boost, more timing, quicker turbo spool, only downside is you need more of it so the injectors will hit max duty cycle quick, with 550's id prob e fine of course the car would also have to be tuned to run on e85 as approx 33% more fuel will be needed as stoich for e85 is like 9.8:1 although as far as i can see, as long as i setup the fuel management to account for this, and have injectors that can handle it, i should be in good shape
Old 09-14-2008, 08:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Watching.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by THansenite
I thought I remember seeing a post on this a while back but when I tried searching, I came up dry.

I am curious if anyone runs E85 in their tC. E85 pumps have been popping up around here and I want to make sure it is ok to use before I fill my beloved tC with it. Thanks
Just an FYI, E85 means 85% Ethanol. As i was told e85 will rin in any fuel injected car. Only thing is that it will throw a O2 code, reason is, is that the Ethanol when burnt will send extra oxygen molecule threw the exhaust. Causing this. The other issue is if u dont have steal or metal gas lines it WILL break down the plastic lines in time, so as i was told per the E85 rep yes u may, but if u dont have metal lines switch back and forth. And if the check engine light comes on, it is due to the exhaust burn mix. Not harmful, but to clear the code go back to norm gas for a few tanks and it will solve the issue. This is food for thought, take it at ur ouw risk, but i have been running it in my xB for 6 yrs and no problems as long as i follow what i explained

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-19-2017 at 03:51 AM.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 2006 xB. E85

Originally Posted by THansenite
I thought I remember seeing a post on this a while back but when I tried searching, I came up dry.

I am curious if anyone runs E85 in their tC. E85 pumps have been popping up around here and I want to make sure it is OK to use before I fill my beloved tC with it. Thanks
I am am running my 2006 Scion xB with E85. No conversion box and no check engine lights. It is F awesome. More power. Smoother idle. Runs great. E85 is 105-107 octane. It will not eat fuel lines. Anything post 2000 is fine my mileage with E85 is 29.88 mpg.
My car has 88K miles on it. Download the app “Alt Fuel”. Start with E85 by filling half your tank. Half E85, half whatever you use. Then the next fill up do E85 only. You will see a drop in fuel economy at first. But then it will correct itself.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 11-11-2021 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Awarded 15 Yr Badge
Old 09-03-2018, 11:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by kb2qqm

I am am running my 2006 Scion xB with E85. No conversion box and no check engine lights. It is F awesome. More power. Smoother idle. Runs great. E85 is 105-107 octane. It will not eat fuel lines. Anything post 2000 is fine my mileage with E85 is 29.88 mpg.
My car has 88K miles on it. Download the app “Alt Fuel”. Start with E85 by filling half your tank. Half E85, half whatever you use. Then the next fill up do E85 only. You will see a drop in fuel economy at first. But then it will correct itself.

EDIT: Oh look only 6 posts since 2006!? lol.. yep a troll..

I know I shouldn't feed a troll.. but I have to post this here for the others who don't know the science and I don't want to see other Scion owners believing this lie, quoted above!

wow.. just wow.. You think that Toyota would've told you that you could use E85 fuel if they designed it to. If E85 was approved by Toyota then why is it that they joined the group who was against E15!? Duh.. But THEY DID NOT! I'm writing this for all the others who read this and think they can use E85 in their Scion..

You can get lucky over time, but it WILL eat through your fuel system! So many lies online. Anyone who doesn't believe me, go read up on Ethanol, it is corrosive. Especially E85! That means its 85% ethanol!

If someone doesn't want to believe me and believe this previous poster, posting this junk.. Go ahead, but don't be surprised when the seals in your fuel pump and the other fuel lines corrode very quickly. Think of the seals in the fuel injectors made out of rubber that is not E85 compatible.

Better fuel economy? LOL.. Ethanol has a lower energy output than gasoline and the ONLY way it can give better fuel economy is if the fuel maps in the ECU are re-tuned. Stock, it will get worse.. so tired of the lies on forums lately, it's getting epidemic!

Conclusion.. don't listen to the troll and use E85 in your Scion.. the troll will be laughing at you while you rebuild your entire fuel system! Not to mention E85 also can cause wear inside the engine for one not designed for it. You can use E10 according to Toyota.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default No Troll.

I’m no Troll. I’m am a 12 year first owner. E85 will not eat anything in my car. It’s a 2006. Manufacturers don’t guarantee fuel parts that are % percentage capable. They are either compatible or they are not compatible. My car has 88,816 miles. I will change the fuel filter/fuel pump by 95,000 miles. I’ll take it out and look at it. I’m also going to install a clear fuel filter in the engine compartment and see what residue it picks up. I’m not an expert but many who have run E85 can attest to its positive attributes. I think a lot of what people do on these forums is repeat unproven internet facts. Have you personally tested the fuel lines that Scion/Toyota uses ? Have you soaked them in E0, E10, E15, E35, E85 ? Have they degraded ? Have you soaked 87,89, and 93 normal fuel with the B-TEX additives and see what that stuff does to Fuel lines ? I have seen it. E85 has ZERO effect on those parts. So I will see personally what happens. Actually my car is running great on it. I have no engine check lights. I ran the Car with my BlueDriver app in Live mode. Once all the regular gas is out of my tank I’ll post the live view. Your “troll” opinions mean nothing to me. You have no skin in the game. Go fuel your car up with E85 and prove me wrong. Go ahead. Worst case scenario is it plugs my injectors and eats the line, but that isn’t going to happen and if it does, I’ll put better fuel line in it and get a new fuel pump. This thing is a go kart at best and it’s fun to play with. So go fill your tank with E85 and then come back and we will compare notes 📝

Old 08-02-2019, 03:25 PM
Banned
SL Member

Just found this thread while going through other forums. I can't help but notice that this poster never followed up like he said he would. I'm expecting that perhaps he was proven to be wrong?

FWIW, adding E85 will NOT give you improved performance, but it WILL reduce your fuel economy, and it PROBABLY will cause some sort of damage to your fuel system somewhere down the road. Also, your car MIGHT not run at all on E85, or just run poorly. Depends on how much risk it's worth to you.

As to the 'improvement' that higher octane might give you: it all depends on how the ECU has 'mapped' the computer. If it covers a greater range of knock vs. timing adjustments, it MIGHT give you 'better power', but my experience is that it does not. The ECU is mapping is constrained by fuel economy and emissions standards. I found out years ago that the Toyota V6 engine in the Camry was exactly the same as the one in the Lexus ES300, but the Lexus made 20 hp more while requiring premium. I wondered if my old Camry could make 20 hp more just by using premium, but it turned out that the ECU's were different. On the Lexus, using regular didn't reduce the power, it just made it run poorly. So, just buying higher octane does nothing for a modern car.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:33 PM

I’ve had mine for a year and have only used E85. I see no difference in driving performance, or engine performance. It gets looked at monthly because this is an experiment. However, I do get less fuel mileage. It seems to just drain right out and do not drive very far to work. I’m switching over to regular today and am going to test that one in comparison.
Old 11-11-2021, 02:56 AM
SL Member

Default e85 is good to run

So for those wondering it's okay to run E85 but i would highly recommend you do this if its on the stock fuel system setup like mine is. Don't fill it on E: I would recommend at the minimum having the low fuel light turn on then filling it up not all the way but like 5-7 gallons of E85 and topping it off with the regular gas you would usually get. If your wondering what will happen if you go from empty to full with just E85 it will take a bit for all the fuel of the regular gas to be used up then it will struggle, then stall, then you'll loose power but having regular gas topped off will be mixed in and help it along. I recommend at the minimum 1 gallon of Reg gas.

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 11-11-2021 at 07:34 AM.