Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

OIL FILTER BASICS

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 07:43 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sometimes it is easier than others to figure out who makes what...

http://www.wixfilters.com/productinformation/index.html

http://www.napafilters.com/products/
Old 10-31-2009, 07:53 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

if you buy the Champion Labs own label it is the mostly the same as Mobil1 at a lower cost
Old 11-02-2009, 11:14 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Originally Posted by Tomas
Sometimes it is easier than others to figure out who makes what...

http://www.wixfilters.com/productinformation/index.html

http://www.napafilters.com/products/
yeah LOL my 8 yr old nailed it too when he saw the pics.........but LOL I do not like NAPA they seem to just rip off the average Joe vs. the other auto parts stores....
Old 11-03-2009, 04:22 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For many, many years NAPA was a much more serious parts house than most others. Instead of carrying "made and bubble-packed in China" parts, they carried higher quality, generally made in USA, non-bubble-packed parts, mostly wholesaled to shops. They weren't really a "retail" parts house, and their retail prices tended to be a bit high, but you got your money's worth.

These days they are sinking more and more to the lowest common denominator and carrying some of the same Made in China bubble-packs as the cheap parts places they've been forced to compete with.

In the same way that Radio Shack either put out of business or dragged down to their level the "old school" electronics parts houses that sold high quality parts wholesale, and on the side some retail, the cheap parts stores are bringing down the quality auto parts suppliers.

To the n00b on the block trying to spruce up his rice bowl, the deciding factors are not quality and function, but flash and low price. Finding good quality parts is harder and harder without paying exorbitant prices from specialty high-end boutiques.

Used to be that people were much more willing to pay for something that was quality instead of something that looked good in the bubble-pack and was $.50 cheaper.

I miss the days of being able to walk into a local shop and buying something that was quality and not made in some third world country.

Sorry, got me off into a bit of a rant. What were we talking about?

How good a filter do you EXPECT to get for $2.99?

OK, back to the topic...
Old 11-03-2009, 06:03 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Tomas..ah the good old days..your are 100% correct....now they sell the same crap for more money under the guise of their former reputation....which is I stated the comment above...when we were younger we wished we could afford Napa Gold instead of Standard Red or Standard Blue etc...
Old 11-20-2009, 02:35 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

well i just changed my oil last week. Went to autozone and they didnt have bosch filters. I didnt feel like running to the tiny toyota dealership they have on the island so i grabbed a purolator cause i aint paying 12-14 bucks for a oil filter from mobil1 or k&n. But thanks to the link you provided sciond im happy with my decision. apparently they are good quality! After reading that too the denso ones may not be as good as we thought. But maybe i was reading wrong. Seemed like they were made like fram filters in some aspects.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:33 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

yw and there are some good buys in filters if pick the right one...as an example I ran a AC Delco in car recently that I got for like 3 bucks...it is the same filter as the Mobil 1 made made Champion Labs for a fraction of the cost
Old 06-07-2010, 03:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I check bobistheoilguy.com every now and then and their are some real knowledgeable people on that board. For my Z28 I used K&N oil filters because of great filtering and the oil filter had a high flow rate. For my Aztek I used Purolator PureOne oil filters which in that model had the best filtration results but an average flow rate. For the Scion xD I'm not sure what I'm gonna go with.