Snow chains for a lowerd tc?!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 07:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

I tried cables on my xA once because it's lowered and I
didn't want to deal with chains possibly ruining my fenders, it was horrible. On my way up to Big Bear I spun out 3 times
and once I actually did a 720 and almost went off the side of
the mountain. Cables IMO are no good.

Good luck though, there is a lot of snow up here ^_^
Old 12-21-2008, 07:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok so speaking from experience...

not a great idea to do chains on a lowered tC, i had my tC on K-sport control pros set to the highest setting(because i knew i was gonna need chains to get up to Bear last winter) and bought some cheap chains from wal-mart. They worked fine, but my wheels were getting a little scrapped so i went for the "better" route and got cables. Much easier to install, but much more dangerous, not as far as performance, both worked well for driving on snow and ice but i noticed a clicking noise one trip on my way down from Big Bear, much like a loose piece hitting the fender, when i stopped to look for the source of the noise i found that it was actually hitting my brake line and had worn all the way down to the braiding, needless to say that was a tense rest of the way down the mountain. I did have my wheel well plastic out, but guessing from the pics of your tC you prob do also to fit those wheels. my suggestion is find a friend to ride up with.

And yes in California, as well as other parts of the WORLD, it is the required by law to have chains when snow/ice make roads too dangerous for regular and even snow tires, let alone the fact that most Californians can barely drive in the rain it is a good law to have...and yes i said the world, when i lived in Italy i was stopped my the Italian Police on a road in the Alps and wasn't allowed to pass because i had no chains, so no its not just another stupid Cali law(there are plenty of those though)
Old 12-26-2008, 05:27 AM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Has anyone seen or tried these yet??? SNOBOOTZ...

http://www.snobootz.com/

They look at lot better than using cables. I'm planning to go to Mt High this weekend and they require chains right now. I don't know if they'll let you pass with these and I sure don't want cables to be scratching up my rims.

I'm lowered with Hotchkis and stock wheels.