Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Has anyone ever been pulled over for tinted tail lights?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 03:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Has anyone ever been pulled over for tinted tail lights?

i was just wondering if anyone has ever been pulled over by a cop for tinting them to much, because i was thinking about doing it myself and once u do it there is no going back.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I dont see a reason why you could if all the bulbs are still there.
Old 05-21-2006, 05:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

They are illegal in almost every state and can get you pulled over with a ____ed off or dork-head cop.... and you'll have to change them back to stock

I haven't YET.... keyword YET... and have the darkest on here...

I would tell you that doing the Nightshades is a poor poor choice after I've gotten mine done by http://www.jonstintedtails.com They are SUPER glossy and just so so much better than any of the VHT setups I've seen... Everybody loves the quality. 85 bucks plus shipping is the price you pay for the quality though.

Old 05-21-2006, 01:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Hey "WeDriveScions" I just looked at the web site to the shop were you got your tails at and was reading around doing some research. What kind did you get the Light/Medium/ or Dark? I live in miami and I think I would have get the medium tint becuase I know that there will be a d*ck head cop that will pull e over for my them...
Old 05-21-2006, 03:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

ok - now this is a different story - I was thinking you guys were making them smoky - not compltly black. I have no clue what the law is about that ....but like you said.... illegal sounds about right. What you have to watch out for is when you are driving after boozin - ive had ***** cops follow me just for the fun of it ... i dont give them any more reason to pull me over then what I prob. already gave them.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The good thing about Vinyl Overlays is that they can be removed if needed ort desired. I offer my standard 6/10 tint and lighter 3/10 tint as well in full smoke. Even with my 6/10, the reflecttors are still quite visible! I have a few new ones in the works I call the GTR style which have cutouts for the actual lamps .

Bat™

Old 05-22-2006, 12:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i got pulled over for completely blacking out my 300zx. the cop said you have to see red from at least 100 ft or something i forgot. i just scraped off i little from the reflector and no more problems. it all depends on how dark you go. rockblocker's lighter tint would be fine i think
Old 05-22-2006, 12:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

also bluebats aboce. they look like a good color
Old 05-22-2006, 01:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by GenericUserName

yea i was just going to say that.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

I bought a spare set off ebay for like 50 bucks and had them tinted "Dark" by the site...

I think medium would be great, based on the shots of all the other rides... I was going to go medium dark, but I chose to commit... the gloss will be the same between the medium and dark... which is fricken awesome.... I'm going to rip the overlays off my side blinkers and send them in as well.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I sprayed Vans Lens Paint (red) over my TYCs. Hopefully I won't catch any flack for them. ("Hyghgynx knocks on wood") I still have my stock tails just in case.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got a ticket for it on my 94 Z28. The cop wrote it up as "intent to modify" which was not just a basic fix it ticket. I still had to get it signed off but it ended up costing about $230.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by GenericUserName
. Majority of my customers order my 6/10 tint. It's my personal favorite as well. I've sported this on my Celica and 350z and have never been pulled over for them in the last 6 years! Again, the key is that the relectors are visible from a certain distance.

Bat™

Old 05-22-2006, 04:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ WTF Does that car have a lip spoiler ANnnnND a pedestal spoiler?

Oh and I've seen one white tC with dark dark tint on his tails in the plano/richardson area...
imo tinting your tails really dark is an expensive risk to take. 230$ can buy lots of nice things
Old 05-22-2006, 04:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

In Virginia, the ticket reads "unapproved equipment". $87 ticket. I did the following to "correct the issue at hand"
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=115572

I didn't have to have it checked or anything like a fix-it ticket. It's pretty weird what people can get a ticket for... $99 for "Over license weight"??? COPS can ticket for the following, but never see them enforce them: "Slow moving traffic to keep right" and "Drive slow speed that impedes traffic". But I digress. If you tint your tails, don't drive like an idiot, or give them a reason to pull you over, and you should be fine.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:04 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Most states spell it out pretty exactly if one bothers to look it up.
Tail lamps.

(1) After January 1, 1964, every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, and pole trailer, and any other vehicle which is being drawn at the end of a combination of vehicles, shall be equipped with at least two tail lamps mounted on the rear, which, when lighted as required, shall emit a red light plainly visible from a distance of one thousand feet to the rear, except that passenger cars manufactured or assembled prior to January 1, 1939, shall have at least one tail lamp. On a combination of vehicles only the tail lamps on the rearmost vehicle need actually be seen from the distance specified. On vehicles equipped with more than one tail lamp, the lamps shall be mounted on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable.

Stop lamps and electric turn signals.

(1) Any vehicle may be equipped and when required under this chapter shall be equipped with a stop lamp or lamps on the rear of the vehicle which shall display a red or amber light, or any shade of color between red and amber, visible from a distance of not less than three hundred feet to the rear in normal sunlight, and which shall be actuated upon application of a service brake, and which may but need not be incorporated with one or more other rear lamps.

(2) Any vehicle shall be equipped with electric turn signals which shall indicate an intention to turn by flashing lights showing to the front and rear of a vehicle or on a combination of vehicles on the side of the vehicle or combination toward which the turn is to be made. The lamps showing to the front shall be mounted on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable and, when signaling, shall emit amber light. The lamp showing to the rear shall be mounted on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable, and, when signaling, shall emit a red or amber light, or any shade of color between red and amber. Turn signal lamps shall be visible from a distance of not less than five hundred feet to the front and rear in normal sunlight. Turn signal lamps may, but need not be, incorporated in other lamps on the vehicle.

Reflectors.

(1) Every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, and pole trailer shall carry on the rear, either as a part of the tail lamps or separately, two or more red reflectors meeting the requirements of this section.

(2) Every such reflector shall be mounted on the vehicle at a height not less than fifteen inches nor more than seventy-two inches, and shall be of such size and characteristics and so mounted as to be visible at night from all distances within six hundred feet to one hundred feet from such vehicle when directly in front of lawful upper beams of head lamps.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

My tails are completely black, and I've never gotten a ticket. I pulled over for my windows, and the cop never said anything about my tails.

It really depends on where you live, where you're driving, and how you're driving.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:21 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For the most part, running with anything on your vehicle that is illegal *might* get you pulled over - or not. Pure dumb luck.

BUT, if you ARE pulled over, it's a free 'gotcha' for the officer, if he wants to write you up for it.

The fewer free 'gotchas' I can give an officer, the happier a driver I am.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Tomas
For the most part, running with anything on your vehicle that is illegal *might* get you pulled over - or not. Pure dumb luck.

BUT, if you ARE pulled over, it's a free 'gotcha' for the officer, if he wants to write you up for it.

The fewer free 'gotchas' I can give an officer, the happier a driver I am.
It then becomes a free ride to check out anything else you might have on your ride--be it out in the open, under the hood, etc.