Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 02:01 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
AlphaSquad
SL Member

Default Hesitation

Ok, here is the problem I am having of recent. When I first get in the car from it sitting for a while. I go to take off and it acts like it dont want to go at all. Give it about 30 seconds of driving slow and it will drive like it should. The other thing is that it hesitates alot lately. The idle seems to be pretty irratic also. I turned the A/C on yesterday and it felt like I threw out a parachute. The car seemed to bog really bad. Then sitting at a light the cars idle was all over the place. I dont remember it being this bad at all. I have a buddy that said the K&N intake clamps dont tighten real tight and that he was having some leaking issues. Does this sound accurate?
Here is what is all done to the motor of the car. K&N CAI, DC Header, Mid Pipe and DC axle back. Centerforce Clutch and lightened flywheel, Agency power Lightened pulley. Grounding kit also.
Anyone else having this problem and what did you do to fix it? It is driving me nuts right now. It is starting to get warm here and I am going to need the A/C soon. I dont want to drive it like that all the time.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Team ScioNRG
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

turning the a/c on while driving will give you that kick, i have noticed it on my car sometimes, but i dont like to use the a/c.

as far as the idle goes, not sure. how heavy is it fluctuating??
Old 04-12-2006, 02:26 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
AlphaSquad
SL Member

I would say 200-300 rpm. the whole car will shake for a couple seconds, then smooth out and do it again.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Team ScioNRG
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

is this with a/c on or off??
is the shaking really bad, or slight??

it MAY be the fans kicking on, but it shouldn't happen ALL the time at a stop light
Old 04-12-2006, 02:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My car has done the same thing since I bought it. The idle lopes when the car is cold and the whole car vibrates at a stop when its warm. I have no mods at all on my car. I have always assumed it was a normal thing but maybe it's not.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:57 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
AlphaSquad
SL Member

no Mine is real bad. When the A/C is on it almost seems like it wants to die, It did it when I bought the car but not anywhere near this bad. I didnt know if anyone has a fix for it.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Team ScioNRG
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

im gonna say its time for dealer to check it out
i haven't seen idle BAD on any tCs, but then again im not physically in the car to inspect it either, which would help.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Check to make sure your intake connections and MAF are sealed tightly. Any air coming into the engine after the MAF will cause erratic idling and driveability issues. If that is not an issue reset the system and see if that helps. If that doesnt help, get it scanned to see if you have any O2 or MAF related issues from your header or intake install. Its clearly not an issue directly to your A/C that you are having.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:41 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
AlphaSquad
SL Member

see and that is what I was thinking. The car seemed to be better before I disconnected the battery a couple weeks ago. I will make sure that everything is tight. I think I am going to change all the clamps on the intake.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Team ScioNRG
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

so you've already reset it once then???
ive got a buddy with a tC and ive been going through his car for awhile now trying to figure out his issue, and we can't find the problem. had the same symptoms you did, but his car has cut out on him a few times as well. so yours isn't as serious
Old 04-12-2006, 04:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You could also try putting on the stock intake to see if the problem goes away. If not, you might ahve a damaged MAF.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:08 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
AlphaSquad
SL Member

what is wierd is that sometimes it runs like a bat out of hell and then others it seems to be sluggish and not want to get out of its own way. I am going to try the new clamps tonight and then see if that helps at all. a buddy had his K&N come off cause of the clamps. They are the ones with the allen head and you can not get them real tight. I guess one thing at a time.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Alot of people were saying when I owned the tC that the K&N through off the A/F ratios pretty bad. When you reset the battery how did you do it? When I had the tC I liked to undo the battery for 30 mins, put it back on, start the car and let it idle till the fans came on once...shut it off...turn it back on and go drive how you normally drive always worked well for me
Old 04-12-2006, 05:58 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
AlphaSquad
SL Member

we unhooked the battery for a while. I just rehooked it up. let it idle for a little while when I pulled it out of the shop. I never shut it off, then restarted it. I just went and drove it. Kinda drove it hard though. I was testing some other parts. so maybe that is what I need to do then. unhook it and do your procedure. I wonder if that is what the problem is. Does the computer learn it as you go though to? I thought I read that somewhere.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I usually disconnec the battery, and pump the brakes to discharge whatever is left in the system. Reconnect, and start up the car and drive easy for the first 10 miles. Never had a problem.