Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

looking for info on timing chain tensioner pulley

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 04:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lightbulb looking for info on timing chain tensioner pulley

Im looking for either diagrams or instructions on replacing the timing chain tensioner pulley. As some of you may remember i posted a whilr back about a slight, faint clickung like noise coming from my motor. I had the guys in the garage next door put a stethascope on it and they said the noisr was coming from the timing chain area. It has not gotten louder but maybe just a smidgen worse. You wouldnt even notice it if i didnt mention it. Anyway, we ran into a buddy last night who is a mechanic. He said it is probably just the tensioner pulley since it hasnt really gotten that much worse. He also explained to us in a nutshell how to replace it. My fiance is afraid to mess wth it cuz its in the timing area and is still umsure how to replace so if anyone knows any directiins or instructions how to teplace it thatd be great. Pictures would be even cooler. Also do you guys agree that the pulley might be all thats making the noise? Its done it since ive had it and i know chains are supposed to last usually longer than the car. TIA.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:23 AM

I just had my tensioner and water pump replaced and it turns out to be MUCH worse! Take a look at my post . . .
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...25#post4045325

I hope this issue you're hearing is not the same thing I heard . . . It started small enough, almost like valve slap and turned out to be a mess . . .
Good luck
Old 08-17-2012, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by skeeter04
Im looking for either diagrams or instructions on replacing the timing chain tensioner pulley. As some of you may remember i posted a whilr back about a slight, faint clickung like noise coming from my motor. I had the guys in the garage next door put a stethascope on it and they said the noisr was coming from the timing chain area. It has not gotten louder but maybe just a smidgen worse. You wouldnt even notice it if i didnt mention it. Anyway, we ran into a buddy last night who is a mechanic. He said it is probably just the tensioner pulley since it hasnt really gotten that much worse. He also explained to us in a nutshell how to replace it. My fiance is afraid to mess wth it cuz its in the timing area and is still umsure how to replace so if anyone knows any directiins or instructions how to teplace it thatd be great. Pictures would be even cooler. Also do you guys agree that the pulley might be all thats making the noise? Its done it since ive had it and i know chains are supposed to last usually longer than the car. TIA.
the easiest way to follow up and diagnose this problem your self, would be to remove your drive belt(NOTE MAKE SURE YOUR ENGINE IS COOL TO THE TOUCH) it makes it easier to work on your car. and check if your noise is gone or still present, ( NOT DO NOT RUN ENGINE MORE THAN A MINUTE OR SO SINCE IT MAY CAUSE OVER HEATING) just enough to hear is noise is still present. if no longer present you now its not your engine or timing chain. its ether going to be your water pump or drive belt tensioner. all you need to do with engine cool check and spin your water pump pulley move it around check if its makes noise or loose, if ok. replace your tensioner. its easy
Old 08-17-2012, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

chain tensioner pulley?
Old 08-17-2012, 06:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by trd07tc
chain tensioner pulley?
not sure what he ment. . but no such thing. as a chain tentioner pulley.