Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

MPG boosting mods

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 05:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Obviously, you lighten the load the motor has to pull, you get better MPG but tearing out the back seats and all the safety equipment in the hatch is #ull shiz in my opinion, i'd rather put nitrogen in my tires, it might not save gas but at least it'll make my tires last longer...
Old 05-25-2007, 02:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by Mugetsu
Obviously, you lighten the load the motor has to pull, you get better MPG but tearing out the back seats and all the safety equipment in the hatch is #ull shiz in my opinion, i'd rather put nitrogen in my tires, it might not save gas but at least it'll make my tires last longer...
Safety gear? I must've bought a different TC, mine sure didn't come with any safety gear, unless you're taking abou the spare tire? I replaced mine with a can of Fix-A-Flat for less than $2.00. I don't use the rear seats, so wasted weight.

Since when does nitrogen make tires last longer? I must've missed that part

general "air" in our atmosphere has an average of 80% nitrogen content already, there is little to NO difference between "air" and "nitrogen" aside of the ONE fact that nitrogen is dry, meaning no moisture. Pure "nitrogen generators" can only generate about 90% nitrogen as it is.

The only difference would be that pressures on air flucuate about 5% during use when the moisture heats up. 5% is nothing unless you're racing your car on the bleeding-edge on a race track.

nitrogen is a waste of money. It's only used on commercial trucks that get re-treaded because the moisture will degrade the tires after about 10 years, and it's used on airplanes because landing a jet plane at 130mph with millions of pounds of force on the tires leaves no room for error to heat up the water in the "air" filled tires, and it's used on RACE cars because it doesn't fluctuate temperatures like humidity filled "air" tires would, so pressures stay pretty even.

Another question, do you really think they get all that "air" out of your tires when they fill it with nitrogen? How can they? If they did, it would suck the tire to the rim and pop the bead, so they're probably only letting the "air" out until it's not releasing "air" at the stem anymore, and there's still likely 40% or so of "air" in the tire, just at low enough pressure that it's not leaving the tire.

if you're putting nitrogen in your daily-driven cars' tires, you're better off mailing the money to me instead, at least I could probably put it to a better use.

proper tire pressure is very, very important, but checking and filling it with regular air is all you need.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah guess you must have bought a different one, mine came with a donut spare, jack, tire iron, towing hook. I keep some road flares ,jumper cables...etc. fix a flat is junk...

and hey what do you know, in your rambling rant you mentioned nitrogen helps keep dry rot away hmm...about the only thing i mentioned it did...

tearing out back seats and the hatch contents is retarded, the TC is not a race car. you wanna lighten the load on your "race car" try a carbon fiber bonnet, hatch and replacing the roof and hatch glass with lexan...

send you the money huh, so you can buy more energy drinks to "tear" out more things on a daily driver

I get my nitro fills and refill for free anyways so i guess its money in MY pocket hmm...

You do to much of this man>>> there was no need for the whole what nitrogen is and what its used for...stating the obvious doesn't make you seem smarter it just induces this in people
Old 05-25-2007, 09:38 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks Mugs, well put!
Old 05-25-2007, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

He had some very valid points. Tell me the last time a daily driven tire of yours has dry rotted. Never in the 15 years I have been driving. He was dead on about nitrogen being a 100% waste of time in a daily driven, non-race car.

And as far as removing weight, if he auto-x's the car, that is a significant amount of weight. Try running a course with a passenger and then without. If he never uses the stuff he took out, then why should he care about putting it back in? Personally I get tired of taking everything out of my hatch, then putting it back in after an event.

I wouldnt go to the extreme of stripping out my car, since I care more about having a full interior, but I dont see anything wrong with him doing it if that is what he wants.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by pollup
Originally Posted by CarbonXe
It's far more complex than just adding batteries to a car...The cars share the same engine, but the entire drivetrain is completely different.

cough, "electric engine". there is a box that is bolted to the top of the transmission. there is not some big hidden item that is part of it.
And an entirely different control system, the gearing, the area to store all the batteries, etc.
15mpg will save a normal driver about 400 bucks per year on gas. The money you would spend on the hybrid conversion would never be paid back in fuel savings. As is the case 99% of the time with fuel saving mods, buying another car with better mileage, buying a hybrid, etc.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I guess your right...(thanks for the guilt trip engifineer!) but i still think ripping out the back seat is silly on a daily driver and fix a flat can't help you when your stuck on the side of the road with a hole the size of a quarter on your tire...

and some people beleive that nitrogen has benefits beyond just preventing dry rot( which i understand is rare) i had a nail in my tire for 4 days and barely lost any pressure even when it was pulled out, some claim the tires respond a little better on turns and braking and some claim it makes them last a little longer. I don't auto X or drag race i hate buying tires and will squeeze and rotate every inch of life out of them before i toss them, so IF nitrogen gets me 2 to 4 hundred more miles out of my tires...then i'm cool with it.

Originally Posted by engifineer
He had some very valid points. Tell me the last time a daily driven tire of yours has dry rotted. Never in the 15 years I have been driving. He was dead on about nitrogen being a 100% waste of time in a daily driven, non-race car.

And as far as removing weight, if he auto-x's the car, that is a significant amount of weight. Try running a course with a passenger and then without. If he never uses the stuff he took out, then why should he care about putting it back in? Personally I get tired of taking everything out of my hatch, then putting it back in after an event.

I wouldnt go to the extreme of stripping out my car, since I care more about having a full interior, but I dont see anything wrong with him doing it if that is what he wants.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, it's a little late for me to post this but, as all Tc owners are quite aware of is... how bad this thing needs a six speed transmission! I know this mean better mpg on the highway.