Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

supercharge my tC

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 07:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by SciMeiji
Was shocked at what you said bout the hp to dollar ratio being substantially low till you got to the "under 2k is a good buy" statement.

I like looking at it as dollar per horsepower instead.
I paid $1900 for my SC brand new then installed it myself which means I only paid $31.60 per horse power (1900/60hp). A Dezod S1 turbo kit at $3975.00 good for 100hp would be $39.75 per horsepower (3975/100hp) not including install labor (if needed).

I consider my particular experience with going forced inducted as very cheap.

Not to mention my 06 SC isht the bed as expected and TRD still replaced it with a redesigned unit even though it wasn't installed by a dealer in the first place. Warranties are a beautiful thing.
Wow!

Stock tC 160hp at crank ground 140hp

Stock tC with just a supercharger roughly 170hp at ground 7lbs from factory

Stock tC with just simple log style manifold turbo kit 5psi 230-250 at the ground.

tC with I/H/E, Supercharger, pulley, and engine management roughly 230hp (If I am off correct me but I know it it isn't by much) Added cost including supercharger roughly 3.2-3.5K+ plus you will need bigger injectors if you run the smaller pulley and a tune which will easily put you around 4K if not more for 100hp gain at most.

tC with dezod kit includes management 4k plus tunning but all you need is $20 wg spring and small adjustment to tune and you are easily at 300hp and can be adjust again by just a spring or you can get a manual boost controller for $50 and have at it.

Last edited by BlackKnight; 08-13-2009 at 08:20 AM.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by b52hDUNN
I can say that I have owned two turbo cars (91 turbo mr2 and a 96 ford ranger custom 2.3L turbo) and now I own my first s/c car (my 07 tc). I have been working on cars for a long time now. It was always one thing after another with turbo cars. It was either the header cracking, blown exhaust gasket, oil leak, blown turbo, loose bolts, etc, etc..... I have had my s/c on for a while and have never had had one single problem. Really the worse thing I can see happening is a bad bearing/ shaft! easy repair. This is the main reason why I got away from turbo. Got way too expensive from things breaking all the time, just was a PITA!

Yes the turbo can make a lot more power over a s/c (on a tc) but comes with a price tag and a headache!

As far as sound goes, I dont know what tc s/c you have heard but when im pulling up to a car meet there is no doubt in peoples mind that I have a s/c under the hood. When my blow off valve goes off then that gets people confused.

All in all I love my s/c and wouldnt trade it for the turbo scene. Been there done that!
That is from poor install, poor tune, and poor materials used from the issues you mentioned. Also the blown gaskets people never replace exhaust studs even though they constantly remove and install the manifold. Studs loose strength even after only torquing them down the first time and once they are removed and reinstalled the strength has been lost. Turbos do go out but usually there are reasons for it i.e something not done properly during install or tune or materials used, they will go bad over time but usually last over 100k no issues.

Last edited by BlackKnight; 08-13-2009 at 08:02 AM.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by BlackKnight
That is from poor install, poor tune, and poor materials used from the issues you mentioned. Also the blown gaskets people never replace exhaust studs even though they constantly remove and install the manifold. Studs loose strength even after only torquing them down the first time and once they are removed and reinstalled the strength has been lost. Turbos do go out but usually there are reasons for it i.e something not done properly during install or tune or materials used, they will go bad over time but usually last over 100k no issues.
Well said. I'm approaching the 1 year, 10,000 mile mark and I've had 0 problems with my turbo. I didn't cheap out on anything, I went overboard with getting the car tuned, I took my time with the installation and made sure everything was correct, etc, etc.

Oh, and I posted about my setup 9 months before getting it, ultimately proving that the ScionLife curse doesn't exist.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by garynkim
rhythmnsmoke. if this is most towards me is because my old screen name was njxgary.

No it was not directed specifically towards you. Oh, and the un-edited post came to my email, but I see you removed it, no harm no foul. But no, was just speaking in general, about what people consider to be "a long time".
Old 08-13-2009, 01:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by rangerryda
I'm kinda scared of the ZPI stage 0... no engine management? eek! Or did they finally include one now? It's been a while since I shopped for turbo kits

I guess I'll catch you up to current times... Kit and Company no longer exist man. Unless you buy a used kit or make your own version, your not buying an Authentic ZPI Stage 0.

And for the engine management, there are people that ran it for over a year before adding management. As long as you didn't go above 6lbs.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
Well said. I'm approaching the 1 year, 10,000 mile mark and I've had 0 problems with my turbo. I didn't cheap out on anything, I went overboard with getting the car tuned, I took my time with the installation and made sure everything was correct, etc, etc.

Oh, and I posted about my setup 9 months before getting it, ultimately proving that the ScionLife curse doesn't exist.

It does exist....It just makes occasional exceptions.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
It does exist....It just makes occasional exceptions.
BS. I proved that ____ wrong. Go look at my thread too, a bunch of people were trying to warn me about it, rofl.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

BS. I proved that ____ wrong. Go look at my thread too, a bunch of people were trying to warn me about it, rofl.

I said it makes exceptions Carbon. I.E...You were an exception (and so was I). But the number of FAILS out number you and I...lol.

PS...I'm the one who coined the phrase by the way...lol
Old 08-13-2009, 02:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

I wasn't an exception. I looked it right in the eye and said '____ you.'

Old 08-13-2009, 02:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

I wasn't an exception. I looked it right in the eye and said '____ you.'

So, When we going to see some racing from you?
Old 08-13-2009, 03:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Dunno lol. I'm at the point where I just want to get rid of the tC. If I didn't owe so much on it still, I'd trade it in on something else. And now that I have another car, I don't have to worry about down time when parting out lol.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Haha, I just noticed the 'tags' for this thread.

"blew" "motor" "again"

Typical supercharger subjects.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dunno lol. I'm at the point where I just want to get rid of the tC. .............
Are u for real? with all the time and money spend on your tc. You don't want it anymore?
Old 08-13-2009, 03:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

I didn't put much money into my tC lol. Almost everything in it was free/half price. I dunno, I'm just bored with it, I've been driving a tC for 4.5 years now.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
No it was not directed specifically towards you. Oh, and the un-edited post came to my email, but I see you removed it, no harm no foul. But no, was just speaking in general, about what people consider to be "a long time".
ok cool all good here. well right now my plan is to be the highest sc and fastest sc out there.. for now.. i will let ppl know when im done only few knows whats im doing right..
Old 08-13-2009, 10:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by garynkim
ok cool all good here. well right now my plan is to be the highest sc and fastest sc out there.. for now.. i will let ppl know when im done only few knows whats im doing right..
It will cost a bit more than a turbo setup to be decently quick, but good luck in your endevor.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea i know, what u gonna do u know... ill deal with it until i blows haha.. i 4got the guys name he used to be in this forum.. i think his sn was black something his tc is black and white, he end up buyin a srt caliber..i spoke to him on scion vip and he sed sc couldnt produce the same power. by that time i already got mine installed..i hope ill mid 12s wahahha, anyways thanx for the support

Last edited by garynkim; 08-13-2009 at 10:31 PM.