Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

trouble making power up top...help!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 10:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Any ideas on what could be making the car retard so much timing?
Old 02-26-2009, 12:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Knock sensor must be pickin something or the tuner pulled all sorts of timing and doesnt realize it.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by purevision01
Knock sensor must be pickin something or the tuner pulled all sorts of timing and doesnt realize it.
He didnt touch timing, ive looked at the map, -1* for 7-8psi, -2* for 9-10psi, etc

Would you by chance know how to setup the knock sensor on emanage ultimate? and how to read it? I believe my harness supports water temp/knock
Old 02-26-2009, 04:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

never looked into using the greddy to monitor knock sorry but I know it can be done... I have to know what frequency the knock sensor detects... But u can check you dyno graph for hints where knock is occurin
Old 02-26-2009, 04:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
Originally Posted by SoFloTC
no not you.. someone else posted that mustang reads high.
Compared to DynoDynamics, they read high.
wrong. they are both load bearing dynos, ther generally read the same.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

tC's only open to 80%, according to OBD2 data.

Damn there must be another 10-20whp hidden in that last 20%
Old 02-27-2009, 07:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Big thanks to Toan at ptuning, he took time out of his day to sit on the phone and answer some questions and give me some advice on tuning the car.

Its runnin alot better, I ended up pulling more timing but the car isnt pulling as much, Its prolly still underpowered cause of the timing being alittle low, but it feels alot stronger and when i can get some dyno time ill dial in the timing where it needs to be and make up the power.

My biggest problem seems to be my intake pipe, I need to switch to a 3inch.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:36 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by rozz-tC
Big thanks to Toan at ptuning, he took time out of his day to sit on the phone and answer some questions and give me some advice on tuning the car.

Its runnin alot better, I ended up pulling more timing but the car isnt pulling as much, Its prolly still underpowered cause of the timing being alittle low, but it feels alot stronger and when i can get some dyno time ill dial in the timing where it needs to be and make up the power.

My biggest problem seems to be my intake pipe, I need to switch to a 3inch.
So apparently you are pulling some timing for sure in the e-manage, but be careful because if you pull too much, you will destroy your coil packs. They are over $100 each. We saw one tuner (who will remain nameless) do that to someone's car and needless to say, the customer was not thrilled when he came to us for tech help.

The e-manage cheats voltage to the coils, which is how it "alters" timing. That is SUPER horrid on the coils. Do yourself a favor. Go get an OBD2 scanner and watch real time what the spark is and retard the timing in that area on the your e-manage and report back on the results....you will be shocked

More homework, consider an upgraded turbine housing or more efficient turbocharger as a whole. Your turbo is super small and was more of an OEM sized turbo for a small displacement motor like a 1.8L or 2.0L. You have a 2.4L 2AZFE, which possess more displacement than all of the above. So it's PUSHING this turbo past it's choke point (especially at higher PSI levels). Plot the points due to air flow and you will see first hand. It's just spits out SUPER hot air, which stresses the cooling charge system and effectively makes less power because the intercooling system will only drop charge temps by most 35-40%. So if you have high charge outputs from your turbo, then the system as a whole makes less power and is prone to detonation.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by paul_dezod

So apparently you are pulling some timing for sure in the e-manage, but be careful because if you pull too much, you will destroy your coil packs. They are over $100 each. We saw one tuner (who will remain nameless) do that to someone's car and needless to say, the customer was not thrilled when he came to us for tech help.

The e-manage cheats voltage to the coils, which is how it "alters" timing. That is SUPER horrid on the coils. Do yourself a favor. Go get an OBD2 scanner and watch real time what the spark is and retard the timing in that area on the your e-manage and report back on the results....you will be shocked

More homework, consider an upgraded turbine housing or more efficient turbocharger as a whole. Your turbo is super small and was more of an OEM sized turbo for a small displacement motor like a 1.8L or 2.0L. You have a 2.4L 2AZFE, which possess more displacement than all of the above. So it's PUSHING this turbo past it's choke point (especially at higher PSI levels). Plot the points due to air flow and you will see first hand. It's just spits out SUPER hot air, which stresses the cooling charge system and effectively makes less power because the intercooling system will only drop charge temps by most 35-40%. So if you have high charge outputs from your turbo, then the system as a whole makes less power and is prone to detonation.
Im pulling from 6-8* max with emanage, the rest is being pulled from the ecu. And yeah, I have thought about getting a scanner to help monitor whats going on. But how different will a scanner show timing than the emanage is? I log a pull and it shows my timing curve all the way up, wont a scanner do just that aswell?

I know the 20g isnt a big turbo, but for my PWR kit going much bigger will just overloard it, Im not shootin for 500whp or anything, I wanted to get in the 300-320whp range and sit tight. I have seen 16g kits get to that number, with a 20g I figured it would be obtainable. Atleast untill I decide on building the engine or not. I looked at the flow chart but couldnt make sense out of it. I was trying to find where im sitting at on it.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by brett561tc
Every single comparison I've seen between the two, had the DynoDynamics with a lower result. Most of the cases it was only slightly lower, but I've never seen a DynoDynamics reading higher than a Mustang. Either way, DynoJets and DynaPacks read stupid high lol.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by brett561tc
Every single comparison I've seen between the two, had the DynoDynamics with a lower result. Most of the cases it was only slightly lower, but I've never seen a DynoDynamics reading higher than a Mustang. Either way, DynoJets and DynaPacks read stupid high lol.
im ordering my standalone this week. i'll be getting my new turbo in the next few weeks. once everything is installed and tuned i'll do a apples to apples comparison since i have access to both types of dynos. my guess is that they will be pretty much the same since they are both load bearing dynos. don't buy into the whole heartbreaker bs some people feed you.

hopefully im right. i hate being wrong on the internet. btw i can ____ farther than you.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

brett ur getting a new turbo? what turbo did u have on before?
Old 03-03-2009, 09:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by rozz-tC
Originally Posted by paul_dezod

Im pulling from 6-8* max with emanage, the rest is being pulled from the ecu. And yeah, I have thought about getting a scanner to help monitor whats going on. But how different will a scanner show timing than the emanage is? I log a pull and it shows my timing curve all the way up, wont a scanner do just that aswell?

I know the 20g isnt a big turbo, but for my PWR kit going much bigger will just overloard it, Im not shootin for 500whp or anything, I wanted to get in the 300-320whp range and sit tight. I have seen 16g kits get to that number, with a 20g I figured it would be obtainable. Atleast untill I decide on building the engine or not. I looked at the flow chart but couldnt make sense out of it. I was trying to find where im sitting at on it.

The 20g is definitely efficient at 300-320whp. I would rather have it at 300whp than some larger turbo at 300whp. You out spool those other guys, and they have to play catch up. I had the 20g, and it was definitely a better top end than the 16g, but essentially had the same spool time. On 12lbs, it felt real good.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke

The 20g is definitely efficient at 300-320whp. I would rather have it at 300whp than some larger turbo at 300whp. You out spool those other guys, and they have to play catch up. I had the 20g, and it was definitely a better top end than the 16g, but essentially had the same spool time. On 12lbs, it felt real good.
yeah 12 psi is where I want to be once i have everything else right, Im getting a 3'' intake made this week, that will make life alittle easier on my maf.

Needs to get my codes scanned again tho, think i might still be miss firing, no idea why tho. new plugs, .025 gap.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Are you converting to a blow-thru setup? If not, you will have trouble having the MAF installed on a 3 inch intake.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No im not converting. However my MAF is maxing out thru most of the powerband. Right now I have it clamped. Ptunning recommended I change to a 3'' intake and retune for it. It will open up the turbo alittle more too.

I wasnt planning on changing it till there tuner told me too lol, They obliviously know ALOT more about tuning a tC than myself
Old 03-03-2009, 11:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

One thing I just leard from a turbo book by Corky Bell is too far retarded timing is just as bad as advancing timing too much. According to this book retarding the timing actually increases your EGT's which is a bad thing. Make sure you are putting more fuel in when you are retarding your timing also watch you EGT's.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
Are you converting to a blow-thru setup? If not, you will have trouble having the MAF installed on a 3 inch intake.
Unless you are on a standalone.

LOL.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by toyota_scion_tc
One thing I just leard from a turbo book by Corky Bell is too far retarded timing is just as bad as advancing timing too much. According to this book retarding the timing actually increases your EGT's which is a bad thing. Make sure you are putting more fuel in when you are retarding your timing also watch you EGT's.
the car runs pretty fat throughout. Im gonna wait till the new intake pipe to get back into tuning it. Ill just have to redo most of what ive done thus far.

Also, doesnt the T-netics kit come with a 3'' intake? those are draw-thru, and piggy back tuned. its doable. We discussed converting mine but with the PWR kit, its impossible. not enough space.

It goes PWR core, 2 inches, BOV, 2inches, elbow, 2 inches, TB. Ptunnnig says you need 8-9inches from the elbow going into the TB, that puts it in the middle of my PWR core lol
Old 03-03-2009, 11:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Interesting. What gave you the indication it was maxing out?

Quick Reply: trouble making power up top...help!?