Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Water leak (Trunk) 06 Scion tC..

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 03:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Water leak (Trunk) 06 Scion tC..

Hello everyone,

I have a 06 Scion tC (Original owner) and I've been having a hard time lately trying to pinpoint water coming into my spare tire area. After 14 years of owning this car I think its time for an upgrade, but I want to ride this car out until the Rona passes. Looking at the Kia 2020 GT line manual.
Either way, I have pics of the water slowly trickling into my trunk after testing pouring water down the trunk hatch. I see a stream come from the left side. After taking apart the car, I found the original taillights seal is worn and destroyed. I already ordered new lights.
I also found that it looks like water is going in via the trunk latch. I found a small stream after heavy rain. I live in South FL so rain sucks.. NOT ONLY THAT, I found my rear drivers side and rear passenger sides floor was very moist after a very bad storm a week ago.

No leaks in sunroof or moon roof. After I replace the tail lights and add some adhesive to the trunk weather stripping, does anyone know what else I can seal or do to keep this car running?

Sorry for the lengthy post. After 14 years, I'm looking to just keeping this car going. Engine is fine.. just burning a little oil here and there with my K&N drop in filter and GReddy Evo 2 Axel Back Exhaust.
Also, I already removed the plug in the spare tire area. Every time it rains my dampaid bag keeps filling up with water. Already on my second bag.

Thanks everyone.

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-17-2020 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Moved to Correct Forum by Administrator
Old 06-19-2020, 04:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Have you inspected the door and hatch seals? Rubber can degrade, particularly in hot weather. If you don't see any visible damage, you can try reconditioning the original seals with silicone or 303 Aerospace Protectant. If that doesn't work, the seals may need to be replaced.

There are two rubber caps (roughly 2" x 3") that Scion did not install during transport from Japan. I think the uncapped holes aided in water drainage. Your Scion dealership was supposed to install the caps before you took the car. My caps were in the glove box so I had to install them.
What I can't remember is whether the holes are in the rear frame rails or the rear floorboard (or hatch floor.) Might be worth a look to see if the caps are installed. I read somewhere on ScionLife that missing caps might be a vector for cabin water.

You can probably find replacement seals on eBay and/or Toyota dealership.

_____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-19-2020 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Awarded 5 Year Badge
Old 06-19-2020, 05:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hi 62Fender. Thanks for the reply. Under the spare tire, I found the 2 plugs. I had them currently removed just in case I have another pool scenario again. (It rains hard in south fl). those are circle plugs btw. I did find some oval looking ones in my glove compartment. I have never opened them and have no idea where they go. Either way, I did put silicone sealant around the inside of the lights a couple days ago. Took everything apart and found the inside of the lights foam was in bad shape. (Waiting for new lights to arrive this week) With the rain lately, I havnt really seen any water build up so far. Ive been checking multiple times a day. Which is great but I fear if it rains heavy again I'll find that water. Once things dry up I'll be able to pour a bucket of water over the trunk and see if get water in the spare tire area.
I'll update with my findings.
Old 06-19-2020, 07:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wish I could remember where those oval plugs go. It's been ten years since I read the post indicating the dealership was supposed to install them. The door and hatch seals might cost north of $300 so I hope they're not shot.

I tried to google "sill grommet" with no results. If I can find it on SL, I'll shoot you a link. Good luck with the fix.
Old 06-19-2020, 07:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks 62Fender. Good news.. Lights actually came in today. I'll be installing tomorrow and adding silicone sealant to the rubber weather strip around the trunk. (Weather permitting) then Sunday pour a bucket of water on my trunk and see if it continues. I'll post pics and instructions to help anyone else out there. There isn't much online when you google search on this topic. Just people asking and no responses.
Old 06-20-2020, 12:04 AM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

Originally Posted by 62Fender
I wish I could remember where those oval plugs go. It's been ten years since I read the post indicating the dealership was supposed to install them. The door and hatch seals might cost north of $300 so I hope they're not shot.
I tried to google "sill grommet" with no results. If I can find it on SL, I'll shoot you a link. Good luck with the fix.
62Fender,

Here is this 15 year old Post indicating the dealership was supposed to install Rubber Oval Plugs.

Check it out:

Rubber Plugs..

Hope this Helps,

MR LUV

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-20-2020 at 12:50 AM.
Old 06-20-2020, 01:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by HumpChops
Thanks 62Fender. Good news.. Lights actually came in today. I'll be installing tomorrow and adding silicone sealant to the rubber weather strip around the trunk. (Weather permitting) then Sunday pour a bucket of water on my trunk and see if it continues. I'll post pics and instructions to help anyone else out there. There isn't much online when you google search on this topic. Just people asking and no responses.
I like the idea of adding sealant to the weather strip around the trunk. I've seen pics where the seal splits at the sheet metal seam.

Sorry, I may have steered you wrong on the oval plugs. MR. LUV's links indicate they're frame rail plugs, not unibody plugs. Since you likely never drive on salty roads, you probably don't need them.

Thanks again, MR. LUV.
Old 06-20-2020, 05:00 PM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

Here is one more small piece of info regarding Water in the Trunk
found on that other Site:

Water in my trunk

MR LUV

Old 06-21-2020, 03:03 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

So, after reviewing the links in this thread, it seems the little 2 inch plugs are for drivers on salty roads. Good thing we don't have that problem down here. Just a lot of mosquitoes and humidity. Both of which I was attacked by today when installing the new tail lights. The new tail lights have new foam guards. The old lights (14 years old) had little to no foam guard left. I am waiting for a heavy rain to come in to see if the water is still showing up in my trunk. (plug in trunk has been removed for the time being). I will update with the next big rain. I will also create a new thread on an issue with the new tail light.
thanks guys.
Old 06-21-2020, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MR_LUV
Here is one more small piece of info regarding Water in the Trunk
found on that other Site:

Water in my trunk

MR LUV

Old 01-09-2023, 02:02 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by HumpChops
So, did either of these things (new tail lights and / or silicone sealant) do the trick? I'm running down the same problem on my 05 tC. I was all set to pass it on to my niece when I discovered the swimming pool in the trunk.
Old 01-09-2023, 10:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

New tail lights, silicone sealant around the weather stripping did not do the trick 100%. When it rains hard, I still get some minor pooling in the wheel well. I drove about another couple years (as I just recently got rid of the scion. RIP) and in the end I could never find exactly where the water was coming from. I suspect around the top of driver side B/C post. Some stripping must of been in bad shape and was allowing some water to come in and it went down the C post into the interior where it ended up in the wheel well. Again, not too much water but it was a 17 ish year old car. lol Driving a Kia now! GL to ya.