Notices
Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

Anyone considering trading in their xA for the Yaris?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 04:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Garzasgirlie
i wouldnt trade my xA in but i have to admit at first glance i was struck by "what is THAT!" but upon closer look i like the xA better
I went on the test drive last week....I love the turning radius....it has a cool look and can really see the potential with a body kit lowering springs, rims and tires....but I'm not trading in my rare xA...besides my girl will probably get it if we can talk those lousy toyota salespeeps into a good deal in our favor. 12k out the door for a 3 door manual coupe

http://www.yaris-club.com/multimedia/vt/vt.htm
Old 04-19-2006, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

those are all the old style hatch. The new one looks like a tonka toy and I can't imagine it ever looking remotely fast or aggressive.

IMO, ugly as hell. And it's gonna be a long time before the new bodies have aftermarket support here.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:18 PM
MXa
5 Year Member
SL Member

See signature below.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have an xB and I am considering the Yaris 3-Door. Dealers in my area currently only have the Sedan so I have to wait awhile to test drive it. I'm waiting for a hitch option so I can carry my mountain bike outside the car instead of inside in my xB.

www.yarisworld.com
Old 04-19-2006, 11:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

The Yaris is a Toyota, but the interior materials are more along the lines of an Echo, not an xA/xB. If you want something without convinient power features, go for the Yaris. Otherwise, stick with the Scion. I bet you'll get a better resale value out of your xA/xB as well.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I thought about the honda fit.
Gas prices are killin me...
lol
Old 04-20-2006, 12:21 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have to say that I did not like the look of the Yaris from the pictures and videos on Toyota's website. Then, today while in traffic, I was driving next to a silver liftback Yaris and I have to say that it looks way better in person, IMO. It seemed much more sporty and less bulbass looking. It's a damn cool lookin' little car. Check it out for yourselves...
Old 04-21-2006, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member
Scion Dynasty
SL Member

nope
no
Old 04-22-2006, 03:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Considering I just got my xA, no.

However, I don't think I would if I were outside of the circumstances now. The sedan looks decent, but I'm a hatchback guy, and I personally do not like the 2-door Yaris at all. Definitely too bulbass for me.
Old 04-22-2006, 06:01 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i don't like it not enough places to put switches
Old 04-24-2006, 05:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by subcode
i wouldnt trade my xA in but i have to admit at first glance i was struck by "what is THAT!" but upon closer look i like the xA better
I went on the test drive last week....I love the turning radius....it has a cool look and can really see the potential with a body kit lowering springs, rims and tires....but I'm not trading in my rare xA...besides my girl will probably get it if we can talk those lousy toyota salespeeps into a good deal in our favor. 12k out the door for a 3 door manual coupe

http://www.yaris-club.com/multimedia/vt/vt.htm

No, there is absolutely no way you can get the 3 doors Yaris for $12K out the door. I went there and they won't even let go for $14K. Since the car just come out, they are not selling it lower than their prices.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:29 AM
5 Year Member

I don't know about Yaris, I have a soft spot for this baby though.

It's the new Honda Fit.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

honda fit isn't worth it. think of the placement of the gas tank under the front seats i think thats a horrible idea.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

[quote="be12nard"]
Originally Posted by subcode

No, there is absolutely no way you can get the 3 doors Yaris for $12K out the door. I went there and they won't even let go for $14K. Since the car just come out, they are not selling it lower than their prices.
I know....the price will probably stay high just because of the price of gas getting higher.....glad I got an xA..even though it's 2 years old.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i was in line to buy a yaris...i had a deposit and everything, but ended up buying an 06 xa... here's why:

-interior of xa seemed to fit weird...i dind't seem comfy in the car.
-seats were suckier.
-extra two dars on xa.
-more cargo room.

and finally

a yaris optioned to get the same standard equipment and quality level of an xa would end up MORE expensive than an xa. (sound, seats, etc.)
Old 05-01-2006, 01:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Master
a yaris optioned to get the same standard equipment and quality level of an xa would end up MORE expensive than an xa. (sound, seats, etc.)
Exactly my thoughts (you must be the same dude from Yarisforums.com, eh?

Until last night, I figured the Yaris was going to be the next car. HOwever, they don't allow you to truely build a Yaris on toyota.com. It wasn't until I went to Edmunds.com and equipped one with everything I wanted (power, convenience, and cold-weather package) did I find out the damn thing was going to be $15,000+ and that's still without a tach or cruise.

This is the same problem Toyota had with the Echo vs Corolla.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:04 PM
SL Member

Default If they brought over the 'real' Yaris - 5-door hatch, yes!

Assuming they don't go dirt-cheap and rip out all of the usual goodies they have in the latest 5-door Yaris made in Japan, which has been tested and ranked pretty high in the usual lot of Japanese automotive test magazine comparisons. Higher than the xA for sure! (then again, that's a 2001 model...)

But most likely, they'll strip out the nice remote-built-into-keyfob, the GPS/navi unit, the digital temperature auto-control system, etc, etc. sigh......

One of these days, they'll realize there are some of us who want fully loaded, luxury mini-boxes!
Old 05-03-2006, 10:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Not what I expected

I have been shopping around since last fall for a fuel efficient car to replace my 2001 Grand Am GT, and was planning on a used Civic Ex until I discovered the Yaris. I was pretty sold on the idea of getting one since I knew of it in the beginning of the year. Got a deposit on the car (Black 5 speed) and waited for the cars to start arriving in the dealerships in April.
I was pretty excited to discover the first one came in locally, so I ran down to get a look at it. The dealership parked it over by the Hyundais, dissed by dealership.
At last, I got to see one in person after such a long wait. A choir of Ahhhhs sounding in my head at the vision....followed by a scratching record and a 'You've got to be kidding.' Surely I could learn to...hmmmm...like...this car. As I walked closer to it, the worse it got. The interior looked rather cheap. The whole car just said 'Yup, I'm a fancy econo-car and that's all.' It was a rather disappointing experience. Then I hear that the 5-speeds were getting pushed back another month, so even more waiting to get what I was looking for.
Someone mentioned to me earlier that these looked a lot like a Scion, so I did some research and came to the same conclusions that others have: the xA has many standard features, better looks, and better price if you want the nice options. If you are really driven by price, and really don't like the extras, maybe the Yaris is the way to go.
I was surprised to discover later that the dealership just took in the one Yaris and doesn't plan on getting any more. They sold it and now if you want one here, you'll have to order it.
As for me, when I saw (and then test drove) the xA, it was a much better experience for me. Mine will be delivered Monday!
Old 05-03-2006, 10:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

cool another xa owner near me.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well toyota has the MPG listed as:

Yaris
Manual 34/40
Automatic 34/39

xA
manual 32/37
automatic 31/38

what gives if the yaris and xA share the same motor? also can someone please tell me how heavy the yaris weighs???

Quick Reply: Anyone considering trading in their xA for the Yaris?