Notices

Successful 2006 xB GReddy Supercharger install..

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 07:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I think I understand a bit better now I will wait for your wiring update to try and map it out visually. Thanks for the updates!
Old 05-21-2007, 07:23 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

It may help to add a second set of the toyota connector ends to your diagram, label one set ECU and the other set Engine. Hook up the wires with the white stripe and the green wire to the Engine connector set.

Everything else can be hooked to the ECU connector set. I will try to draft a line out wire schematic showing every pin side by side.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I guess when I read this the first time I thought there was only changes being made to the Greddy harness only. Is that what I am missing?
Old 05-21-2007, 09:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Just got off the phone with a Greddy tech who told me they have no plans of creating a plug and play harness but they do have a wiring diagram available that they are sending to me. He also said that you need the o2 apdater 1 for the wiring changes. I will post up when I get that file.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:57 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

The O2 adapter is crap, they don't know what they're talking about. They told me the same thing, and when I asked which one since the xB has two, they said just the front one. But the Greddy literature for it says that if you have multiple O2 sensors, you need one for each. Greddy doesn't know their own manuals. Also, one tech told me that the alternator pulley would need to be different for the 06, but the engine runs the same belt and pulleys stock, running at the same RPM's for 05 and 06, so why the hell would they need a different pulley? Another tech I talked to said all that was needed was the harness rewire.

In short, these things are designed in Japan, and there isn't an engineering staff in CA that I could reach, so it's about like talking to the Dell tech guys. They feed a list of responses based on other products and if you have a unique question, they don't give a straight answer. I have faith in the Trust design and manufacturing team, but their US sales reps just don't seem to know their product. If the xB is sooo damn hard to configure a supercharger for in '06, then why don't Blitz or PE have all these same issues? (BTW, Blitz and PE run the same pulley for 05 and 06, Blitz does require a rewire for '06 but that's it. PE uses the stock ECU and a larger fuel pump, I think since they increase the air pressure, they just increase the fuel output to compensate and keep the stock A/F ratio)

My $.02
Old 05-22-2007, 12:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default Updated with legend

That doesn't surprise me that its not needed honestly. When I asked what it was for he just said it needed to be wired into the harness and no real explanation as to purpose. At any rate this is the pinout the Greddy tech sent me:

E# - Sensor Ground
t1-t4 - Ignition Signal
E - Ground
#1-#4 - Injector Signal
N - Crank Angle Signal
G - Cam Angle Signal
W - Water Temp Signal
O2
Th - Throttle Signal
Kn - Knock Signal
A - Intake Temp Signal
Ar - Airflow/MAP Sensor Signal
SP - Vehicle Speed Signal
+B - Power
Old 05-23-2007, 05:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i was just about to order the greddy s/c for my 06...having second thoughts now about it... i have no idea what im doing when it comes to harnesses and all these different numbers and code letters... Should I stay away from it?
Old 05-23-2007, 05:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

That is exactly why I am working on a visual guide for the rewiring. If you can wire a stereo harness you will be able to do this with the guide
Old 05-23-2007, 06:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i think i might just be better off with the PE s/c... what do u think? Is there much difference with the 2?
Old 05-23-2007, 06:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

From what I understand the Greddy/Trust is a roots based positive displacement and the Power Enterprise is centrifugal. I am pretty sure that the centrifugal setup will be more efficient at higher boosts but it does suffer from its own style of lag.

"Centrifugal turbochargers suffer from a form of turbo spool. Due to the fact that the turbine speed is directly proportional to the RPM, pressure and flow output at low RPM is limited, thus it is possible for the demand to outweigh the supply and a vacuum is created until the turbine reaches its compression threshold."

I am not really sure what is included in the kit in terms of engine management but I highly doubt it has a plug and play harness. I have also read on a few other posts that the PE requires using a larger fuel pump and injectors. So I am not really sure what is the better choice the Greddy seems to be the only direct bolt on prior to the 06. The only real modification that is needed is the wiring harness.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

thanks... well I hope you guys figure it out... let me know how it goes...
Old 05-23-2007, 12:48 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Hotbox,

It's already gone in mine since March. I've only had two incedents and that was due to a miswired injector based on inaccurate information from the Greddy tech. Their published documentation is spot on, though, so by following it there hasn't been another issue.

If you go with the Blitz or the Greddy, you will need to rewire the harness. If you can cut, splice, solder and read you should be able to handle this when Skulls finishes the drawing.

The PE unit doesn't use a piggyback ECU and thus you won't need a rewire. You will, however, need to replace your fuel pump and possibly injectors, so pick your method of modification, electrical or mechanical.

EDIT: The Power Enterprise site states stock injectors can be used, so it's just a fuel pump swap (which I haven't done and can't tell you the difficulty or ease of it)

Side note, the Greddy S/C uses a vacuum assisted internal throttle to only make boost under load, thereby decoupling boost from RPM only. This gives a bit better fuel economy and saves some wear and tear on your engine.

Blitz does a different arrangement, having a clutch inside the S/C that can be set to engage at three different RPM's, again so you're not making boost when you don't need it.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:56 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I edited the original list to include the updated, correct Ignition signals.

blue w/ white - No 1 ignition signal in
blue w/ black - No 1 ignition signal out
purple w/ white - No 2 ignition signal in
purple w/ black - No 2 ignition signal out
orange w/ white - No 3 ignition signal in
orange w/ black - No 3 ignition signal out
yellow w/ white - No 4 ignition signal in
yellow w/ black - No 4 ignition signal out

You can verify this by looking at prewired 05 harness and matching it to the 05 ECU schematic from Toyota here on ScionLife.

In means into the Greddy eManage from the engine side wiring
Out means out to the stock ECU from the eManage
Old 05-23-2007, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Thanks for the updates vettereddie! I should have a corrected visual diagram tonight that I am going to just pm you to make sure I have it correct. I think that having a it written out and visually mapped should make it easy for anyone else that needs to wire up the harness for an 06. At least thats my hope haha
Old 05-30-2007, 11:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Great information on this post. Keep it coming.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I have found and fixed my engine problems. Bottom line end result was a chafed wire under the Supercharger vacuum valve and a loose AM2 fuse in the engine fuse block.

Chafed wire caused a 100 Ohm short between my ECU power wire and the starter relay coil, end result was when the car was in Run, engine would start, starter would stay on and EFI relay would pop.

Second issue, the one causing the engine to stall was a loose AM2 fuse, where the two metal contacts holding the fuse in on one side opened more than they should and fuse no longer had contact. AM2 fuse provided power to the injectors, so no fule, engine dies.

Fixes were to reroute the engine harness away from the valve lever, and to tighten the fuse contacts by prying them together more with a jewelers screwdriver. Pic below is of the chafe. The harness is normally taped up, the tape has been removed.

Old 07-13-2007, 04:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do you have a pic of the finished wireing looks like?
If so could you email it to steve501@verizon.net
the pics on this post have disapeared.
The Identy of the blocks from Gredy are vauge.
Thanks for your time
Old 07-26-2007, 02:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

same here... im looking into the greddy sc but want to see what im getting into first...
Old 07-26-2007, 11:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, I'm doing an 06 as we speak.
The shop that started the project cut the OE harness and left a, wire nutted, mess.
What I can tell you is the engine will run without the E-manage. The tech guys will tell you it will not start..... It will.
The pin out from Greddy is not very helpfull unless you have the wire diags, no color code, no instruction for which wires need to be splitor cut, no pin repair like Vettereddi has posted, not much at all.
I'll post as soon as I get this job cleaned up.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:25 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I'm sending you a PM back with a few more details, Greddy won't be much help since they don't support the '06 with their kit. I really wish the shop had left the OEM harness alone, there was no need to mess with it. All splicing can be done in the piggyback harness. Is there any way that the OEM wiring can be restored (preferably via soldering and heat shrink, wire nuts are evil; also should be at their expense since liability falls in their hands). You may be able to find a friend or electronics repair place that can take a crack at it. If you were closer I'd try to help but MA is just a bit too far.

Quick Reply: Successful 2006 xB GReddy Supercharger install..