Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

iPod2Car Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 07:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ipod2Car w/Cradle Limited quantity 160.00 shipped

PM me

We also have them for GM, European, Ford
and Chrysler on the way
Old 06-06-2006, 10:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

aight so, what I want to do is make myself a retractable/manual reel thinger that will hold the excess cord so if people in the back of my car wanna control the ipod they can.

Is the cable that plugs into the ipod from the ipod2car the same thickness as the regular ipod charging cable?

anyone have any ideas for a reel up thing? I wanna have the thing under the console beneath the cig lighter in the center of that plastic piece.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by MacMaster
aight so, what I want to do is make myself a retractable/manual reel thinger that will hold the excess cord so if people in the back of my car wanna control the ipod they can.

Is the cable that plugs into the ipod from the ipod2car the same thickness as the regular ipod charging cable?

anyone have any ideas for a reel up thing? I wanna have the thing under the console beneath the cig lighter in the center of that plastic piece.
I have a cableyoyo for my firewire ipod cable. The iPod2Car cable is definitely thicker...and doesn't fit well in a cableyoyo. I ended up using a cable-bundling method used by rock climbers. If it needs to be lengthened, just pull, and the pseudo-knots undo themselves...I don't know what it's called..but it works
Old 06-07-2006, 02:22 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

yeah, i actually bought a cable yoyo today hoping it would work, i guess not, well there goes 3 bucks.

maybe if i take two of those closet hook things made by 3m and put them side by side to reel up the cable, that may work, hopefully they have black ones though cause i wanna match interiorness.
just chillin then until i get it
Old 06-13-2006, 01:04 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

got my ipod2car, and after about 45 minutes of it not working i gave up. I believe that dipswitch #4 was malfunctioning because when it was in the on position it completely cut out all audio to the speakers. When it was off it the audio worked but the ipod2car did not. I was able to hear the quality by switching a few of the switches to random things and the sound quality was amazing!!! The company i went through already processed the return cross shipment and i hope to get a new working one soon... I really wanted to cruise with it on today though...

Old 06-24-2006, 03:16 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bought one and installed it under and hour thanks to this writeup. Car forums ROCK!
Old 06-24-2006, 11:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

installed mine, and timed myself (this was the second time with the good unit) took me 5 minutes!! i freakin rule. Good quality sound too, very impressed!!!
Old 06-24-2006, 11:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Show me a video or it didn't happen in 5 minutes.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:51 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks for the info. The dealership botched the iPod stereo install, so when I took delivery of my new xA, the iPod did not function. The tech never connected the iPod plug in the back of the stereo. Believe it or not, the same thing happened to my wife when she bought her xB. I did not have the patience to wait for the dealership to fix the problem, so I took what I could from your directions, and did the job myself.

To anyone suffering the same dilemma as my wife and I who feels confident enough to try the fix on their own, the plug was wrapped back onto the stereo wiring harness, and taped up with sticky-backed foam. The plug location on the stereo is self-explanatory. Don't forget step 1: disconnect your battery for safety!

Thanks again for some helpful tips!
Old 07-11-2006, 07:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Any luck on some cheap ones? So far I found some for like 130. Anyone give some feedback on this?
Old 07-19-2006, 07:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, I just ordered a similar box, USA Spec from Crutchfield. It was $139 shipped.

There's a much cheaper USA Spec model out there but it only adds RCA Aux , not the full "charge and control" functionality. I think that's something like $70ish.

I went with this one because it adds the iPod specific connector that will cahrge the iPod and allow you to advance tracks using the headunit. PLUS, it also adds a second RCA Aux input. So I can plug my Powerbook or iRiver, or my recording equipment in as well. I'm planning on drilling two holes under the glovebox or in the EZ-Bake oven and mounting the RCA sockets with some mountable connectors. Should look really clean.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^^^^^ Just installed the same one (usa spec). Easy to install, about 15 min. The hardest part was finding the best place to run the connector. It works great!
Old 08-03-2006, 01:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I actually got the USA Spec. But its not charging my iPod.

This weekend, I'll probably need to take the console apart again and check my connections. Sometimes it charges for a split second, when I'm taking a turn or something. So it might be that.

If not, I'll call Crutchfield tomorrow and get a replacement. Maybe it's just a short with the box or something.

I ran the cable down to the passenger side of the console and tucked the box back there so I could get to it and plug in the additional aux or change the mode if I wanted.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Will this work for other types of MP3 players?
Old 10-12-2006, 09:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Try this one. You might need an rca to mini plug. Not sure if it would work or not.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-aNd9X1o...450&I=581DFTOY
Old 10-18-2006, 01:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by StarSk8er_00
Will this work for other types of MP3 players?
I hav a brand new in the package Peripheral Aux2Car that will work with MP3 players http://peripheralelectronics.com/web/aux2car.asp. I will let it you have it for 70.00 shipped if you would like it.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Will I be able to access my playlists from my IPOD through the factory cd player?
Old 10-18-2006, 05:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no with the aux2car it hooks up the headhone out of your mp3 to the stereo. with the ipod2car you have basic track up and down from the radio
Old 01-24-2007, 01:30 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thread necromancy! Arise!

Just wanted to post that this exact kit can be bought at Best Buy now for $150. Just look for the import auto version, it'll have your Scion listed on the back. They had the kit by all the iPods in the store and over by the "expanded" auto section. This excellent write up made this literally a 10 minute install process for my 2005 xA. Anyone should be able to do this, just baby taking those parts off and you're all good. I just ran the cable into the glove compartment. I typically select what song/album I want to listen to before I get into the car and plug it in and go. Works great like this. Not only does it charge the iPod while it's connected, you can also use the iPod to navigate the songs, or the Scion head unit to navigate (A bit clumsy, but it works).

The sound output is excellent.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

oooooohhhh yeahhhhhhh.

Quick Reply: iPod2Car Install