Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Rear Suicide Doors Project **NEW PICS 26th Updated**

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 12:29 PM
5 Year Member

Default Re: Rear Suicide Doors Project (pics)***

Originally Posted by SmartAss
Took about 3 hours of my spare time and got them started.... looks like I have it all going well. Ill update later when I have free time.

PS this project take alot of time to do becuase I am very busy with work. I only have time to do it when Im not working which is very rare..... So dont be surprised if I dont do anything for a few weeks.
real nice
Old 11-23-2005, 01:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks great so far.....you could probably market a kit if you wanted.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

AWSOME
Old 11-23-2005, 01:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

hey James it's Jeff from SE VA , NICE FREAKING WORK BRO and all the nah sayers that say it could be done, this is the man that will prove you wrong. nice to see that your still kicking out some phat ____ there in NJ, keep up the good work. If you ever get bored you can come here to Va I have a few things you can do here
Old 11-23-2005, 06:14 PM
5 Year Member

That looks awesome!!!!
Old 12-01-2005, 04:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Like most have said, looks awesome and can't wait to see the finished product...
Old 12-01-2005, 05:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member

i will do this oh yes i will do this.......it will be done oh yes it will
Old 12-01-2005, 11:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so far what is your cost on this i want to takcle this but i need to know everything i need let me know
thanks
Old 12-01-2005, 09:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This would probably be a good place to start your search...

http://www.suicidedoors.com/Suicide_Hinges.php
Old 12-01-2005, 10:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Ok this needs to be said.....

First Im sure most people wont even read this... But to those who do I hope you understand me and where Im coming from.

This is the way I make a living. I work on cars. I modify, trick out, chop, cut, destroy, rebuild, and have fun with cars. I do this every day. I make money doing this. The best weeks at work are the weeks I get to do things to cars that noone else has been able to do or can do. I love it and I hope I can do it for the rest of my life. But I cannot do this for free. Like I said this is my living. This is how I live my life. Im not rich and weathly. My cars would look 1000 times better if I was making tons of money doing this but its what I enjoy so I do it.

With that being said. The suicide doors where said that they could not be done. I did them. Yes I took the time to find the right product. Front all the money. Use my free time to do it. And take the risk of cutting the crap out of my car. Not many people can or would do this. It is not very difficult to do if its SOMETHING YOU DO EVERY DAY. I think it worked out well. Its not prefect becuase of the shape of the car but it is the best that I can do and the best that can be done to this car. I do not think I am the best at what I do, but I do it myself and I take the risk of doing it.

For all those who want to attempt to do this, goodluck. I took a couple months planning, drawings, thinking, spending money, and figuring out what would work. Im sure there is other people that can do this.... but those are the people that can do it without my help what so ever. You know where to get parts, you know where to look for them, how much they cost, what tools your need , what parts you need, and last but not least, simple engineering and design techniques.

And for those of you that dont think you can do it without help. Heres an idea. Either pay someone to do it or come to me, Ill help you out and do it with you... but I want something for it. I mean I love doing it so its no problem to help other people with their cars and make a little money as well.

Everyone has their little things they can do to give, and help out with the side. I have done alot of those things for this site. I did a alarm/remote start/ keyless "How To". I did a sunroof one, a headliner one. I also from time to time help out people in all the other forums and on AIM. I have no problem doing this.

Im sur eyou guys wonder why I am posting all this and I hope I explained it without offending anyone. I also wanted to point out that no matter what I do or how I do it there is always some Jack -A§§ that wants to pick out crap or critisize everything I do. Those are the people that wont even read this... so to you I give you the 1 finger solute.

Just so everyone knows the pictures that are on here are not what the hinges look like..... I did this is 3 hours, the next day went back took it all out and redid everything with 2 hinges and with more re-enforments. The reason I did the single hinge is becuase I wanted to make sure the door would swing open since this is the problem someone else had that last attmepted it. You wouldnt know it but I addded around 30lbs to the car on 1 side. It took over 4 feet of square stock 1/4" steal to re-enforce the hinges enough for my ___ to hang on it thats 170lbs.... People need to realize this isnt a easy task and Im saying all this becuase I dont want everyone to come to me after they attempt it and cant get it to work. Id love to help but like I said before, Im losing money..... Its my living... every person I help could be 1 less paycheck for me.

I hope people understand what I've written and why I am writting this. I still have no problem helping people.. But people that just want and want and want get really annoying. I like people that give and take. I have no problems with them. Someone who helps me out gets all the help they ever need. Ask anyone that has done work with me before. Ive had people spend $25k for me to do work on their boat, or $8k for me to build a fiberglass system in their car.

Thanks James aka SmartAss
AIM: o0osmartasso0o (you get me?))
Old 12-01-2005, 10:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

^^^ Props on the work you've done, and the attitude with which you do it. There are many people in the world that would do it, and tell everyone that asked questions to ____ off, but you are willing to help others get it done.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

SMARTBUTT

is a business man
Old 12-01-2005, 10:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm really not sure what the point of your post is. I think anyone who looks at what you done (novice or pro) can tell that what you did takes a lot more work than 90% of the modifications people on this site do.

To be honest, your tone seemed a little bit uncouth. If I am reading it wrong I apologize. If there is something going on I don't know about, or people expecting you to do actual work for free I understand. But if you are taking offense to people wanting to see what methods you used to do your work, that is a bit much.

Forums such as this are about sharing ideas and techniques. To post a couple of incomplete, low quality teaser pictures to spark interest an questions and then respond by saying you won't help for free is ridiculous.

Now don't get me wrong. I am a short timer here at SL and have already managed to ruffle quite a few feathers. But I would challenge any one of the people I may have offended to say that I am not helpful. That is what this site is about. Sharing in our knowledge, whatever it may be, as it pertains to Scions.

Not trying to offend... Just trying to figure out the motives behind your post.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

your shop isright in philly right how much would you charge for this i am willing to make the drive to put these on my car
Old 12-01-2005, 10:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

RTon Alot has happened in the past and has been continuing to happen. Im not ____ed at anyone in particular and the reason I post little teaser pics is becuase everyone has been saying for over a year it cant be done. Well I posted a pic if you want to see it up close and more detailed, stop by my shop. The car is there everyday out front.

For those of you that arent in the area to get a look at it. I go to alot of shows all over the east coast ( sorry west coast).

West coast people are 5yrs ahead of the technology of the east coast people so they cant ever complain
Old 12-02-2005, 04:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Hey SmartA**

I know your modding to be different n all but do you plan on commercializing into a kit of some kind.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I would love ot make a kit for this, but for what ive gone threw I really dont think its to possible. There is so much re-enforcing that has to be done. Even the hinges I obught were drastically modified to work. I guess I could try to put a kit together but its still going to involve custom work.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

well can you fabricate a prototype of all the modified materials (hinges, necessary metal plates and parts) and get that into production. I figure if you could get it down to where the enduser just has to modify their car for the hinges attach or weld the neccessary part it would be ok for the advanced DIY. However someone like would probably go to a shop. I figure if you sell the kit (not going to put a price on the incredible amount to work you have done) and the price was reasonable you could sell bout 200+ kits on SL.com alone. Hopefully it would be a chunck of change worth your while
Old 12-02-2005, 05:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No offense but... ARE YOU PEOPLE CRAZY?!!

Smarta**, please, PLEASE, do not even consider making a "kit." You could end yourself up in a very bad way.

Now before someone starts up the bandwagon so everyone can jump on and start screaming at me, let me explain.

Suicide doors are NOT a bolt on affair. Even if a kit was available, the fabrication included to install the kit would be extensive. Extensive enough that novices shouldn't even consider an installation. And for that matter, if you chose to have a custom shop install the kit for you, they could probably do their own custom fabrication and installation for the same price or less.

Selling things like hinge kits, strikers and latches is one thing. Selling vehicle specific installation kits is quite another. The last thing you want to do is have some kid borrow a crappy 110 mig and a torch to attempt their own installation. We would have back doors flying off of xBs on the freeway. Heck, maybe even falling off in parking lots.

In my opinion, if you are competent enough to install a suicide door "kit," you are competent enough to fabricate one of your own. Introducing a vehicle specific kit to the market is asking for nothing but trouble.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd have to totally agree with RTon20s. This is something that is lot harder then most think. Its not just a bolt on affair.

Quick Reply: Rear Suicide Doors Project **NEW PICS 26th Updated**