Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

The CXR Turbo kit thread (Old pics on pg 3,4,5 & 7) Redux pics on pg 16!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 10:44 AM

help cory i need more hp any suggestions will be appreciated
fred i dont know if code cleared cause i dont have ob2 code reader lol
Old 09-11-2009, 01:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

phantomxb, the way to make more power is obvious. Upgrading parts of your exhaust, raising the boost on your turbo, or upgrading your turbo is the best way to make more power. Also a better tune could make power but that might sacrifice longevity depending on how "aggressive" the tune is.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd say3 inch exhaust but member don't go to crazy ur an automatic any more power and you will fry the tranny you could switch to e85 and stuff like that right now my fuel pump is what's holding me back I'm doing my fuel system this weekend or during the week I will make a diy but its gona be alot of moding to get it to work
Old 09-11-2009, 07:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

SSR with vetter engine? wtf? lol
Old 09-11-2009, 09:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

?huh?
Old 09-12-2009, 07:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Talking

I just want to say that i've really enjoyed reading this thread. Scion Fred I wish u much luck but being that you have tons of mechanical,engineering,welding, etc.. knowledge I think I can safely say we all know that u'll b okay. I wanted to add that I have a TRD S/C sitting in my house that I got from the guys at TRDSparks and saw today that they have turbochargers being offered for sale and thought about buying as the prospect of 330 whp makes my heart race, but seeing how much trouble you've gone through (and others) I think i'll stick with the S/C, only because I don't have a tenth of the knowledge that you and alot of folks have on turbochargers.Please keep us posted and I know that if I ever come back I want to have the makings of a mechanic with intricate knowledge of turbo systems..haha.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scionic2
I just want to say that i've really enjoyed reading this thread. Scion Fred I wish u much luck but being that you have tons of mechanical,engineering,welding, etc.. knowledge I think I can safely say we all know that u'll b okay. I wanted to add that I have a TRD S/C sitting in my house that I got from the guys at TRDSparks and saw today that they have turbochargers being offered for sale and thought about buying as the prospect of 330 whp makes my heart race, but seeing how much trouble you've gone through (and others) I think i'll stick with the S/C, only because I don't have a tenth of the knowledge that you and alot of folks have on turbochargers.Please keep us posted and I know that if I ever come back I want to have the makings of a mechanic with intricate knowledge of turbo systems..haha.
When I bought my XB I planned on adding a TRD SC later on but some SOB bought the last one from TRD Sparks before I could get it! Probably sitting in his garage...

I wish I knew half as much as you give me credit for but thank you for the compliment and I'm glad you enjoyed the thread. IMO the SC is a better option for most daily drivers. I'd happily settle for a SC and 200whp if they were still available and reasonably priced. If you really want more power than the SC, the Descendant PnP turbo kit might be your best bet. It comes with everything you need including a FIC and pre-tuned map for $4250. Of course more power also means a new clutch, LSD, AT mods, motor mounts, etc. I doubt the stock clutch or AT can handle more than 250hp/lb ft reliably.

When I started this project, Descendant wanted ~$6000 for their PnP kit, Treadstone/Ancla wanted $4000 for their un-tuned kit and buying from TT is like loaning money to an unemployed buddy and hoping that he repays you someday. At this point, if I could do it over, I'd just buy the PnP Descendant kit for $4250 and save myself a lot of headaches.

Good luck whatever you decide to do. Hopefully I'll have my turbo back on next week and the FIC installed within 2 weeks. Updates and pics coming soon.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Update: The new 2.5" downpipe is finished. There is about 1/2" clearance between the DP and rad hose. This mani doesn't leave a lot of room for the DP. I don't think 3" is possible with this mani.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sweet! Bolt that ish up!@
Old 10-07-2009, 08:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Workin' on it! Just waiting on the FIC I ordered 3 weeks ago. This time I want to do it right. Install the FIC, log the MAF, tweak the base map and then install the turbo. I'm gonna tune it myself and if that fails, P-Tuning isn't too far away.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

let me know if you need any help of some base maps that will get you close what size injectors you running?
Old 10-07-2009, 10:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks Cory. I already have one of your maps but I don't remember which one. I'll be running a .63AR T3/.60AR T04B, 440cc, 93 octane and a 7psi spring.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

wow nice job on the downpipe. That's the way it SHOULD look. Not the freakin crap job the shop i took mine did. Good luck with it and let me know if you need any help
Old 10-08-2009, 03:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats a good looking down pipe here is mine its 3 inch

Name:  100_0413.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  82.7 KB
Old 10-08-2009, 04:33 AM
SL Member

i got my boomslang harness with my aem fic and the worst happen my damm mani crack also!! good thing i got the gpdspeed cast one already now i just need to adjust everything and tune it.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by homerhitta
wow nice job on the downpipe. That's the way it SHOULD look. Not the freakin crap job the shop i took mine did. Good luck with it and let me know if you need any help
Thanks Homer. I thought your DP looked pretty good except for the dump pipe fitment. But then I'd take good fitment over looks any day. Mine better fit good since I was there during the whole process and even positioned the s-pipe where I wanted it. If it doesn't fit good I have only myself to blame.

Cory's DP is a work of art. Mine is fugly but functional. Too bad Todd doesn't work for CXR. IMO that might be a good combo if Kevin could keep Todd straight.

Be careful about offering to help, I may just take you up on it!
Old 10-10-2009, 03:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by andys09xrs
i got my boomslang harness with my aem fic and the worst happen my damm mani crack also!! good thing i got the gpdspeed cast one already now i just need to adjust everything and tune it.
What kit do you have? How do you like the Godspeed mani? I ordered the Godspeed mani but they sent me a Treadstone instead. If you have the CXR kit, think I know how you can mod the charge piping to work.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You're running a T04B? What happened to the CXR turbo?
Old 10-10-2009, 03:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im thinking he didnt wanna chance it any further and found a good deal on a used.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm not running any turbo at the moment but I'll be reinstalling the CXR turbo very soon. Despite being labeled as a T04E compressor housing, the actual housing dimensions match the smaller T04B. Despite lots of www stories about a friend of a friend who knew a guy who knew a guy whose China charger exploded and took out his engine, the usual failure seems to be seals and bearings that don't last as long as their 3x more expensive counterparts. If and when the seals start leaking I'll either rebuild it or replace it.

Last edited by ScionFred; 10-10-2009 at 03:53 AM.

Quick Reply: The CXR Turbo kit thread (Old pics on pg 3,4,5 & 7) Redux pics on pg 16!