Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

interior mod help

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 04:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default interior mod help

So I'm starting to narrow down my decision for the fabrics for interior. Here's the problem.. I went to the auto upholstery place, and they told me that if the fabric is too thin, the adhesive will leak through the fabric. So my dilemma is the fabric i want is a cotton plaid, and way too thin. Anyone have any ideas how I can redo my headliner/a pillar/b pillar and the great area of the cargo area done?? Worst case scenario I can use an automotive fabric, but I really want to do the plaid... any help is greatly appreciated!!!
Old 06-06-2012, 04:54 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Spray the glue on a test piece of the fabric.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

we already tried that.. I took a swatch of fabric, and the adhesive started soaking the fabric... it sucked!!! he showed me the backing on "automotive fabric" and it has a almost rubbery type backing.. I found some fabric but not the pattern. It just comes in plain colors.. so now I'm thinking a suede.. and it's really inexpensive...
Old 06-06-2012, 06:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Are you looking at a plaid suede!? That could be sick!

If you're looking for a headlining material for headliners, they make a foam backed product that's like $15/yard.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:24 AM
Banned

Double layer with something thicker, tighter woven or more absorbent then another type of glue for that. Or even if the 1st layer soaks up enough so it wont really bleed through the fabric you want to use. Just a guess, I've actually been wanting to do that also.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:30 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Plaid suede.... My mind is reeling now. If I can find a plaid with my blue in it I'll be all over that ____!!!!!!
Old 06-07-2012, 04:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xseveredveganx
Are you looking at a plaid suede!? That could be sick!

If you're looking for a headlining material for headliners, they make a foam backed product that's like $15/yard.
The plaid fabric was just a plain cotton fabric. My other option was a brownish gold suede.. The auto place didn't have any suede with any sort of design... yes plaid suede would be BADA$$ The problem is I couldn't find any headliner specific material that I liked... Some people are so damn pickey!!! Ideally I want the Burberry plaid, but get this.. It's trademarked.. redickulous...

Originally Posted by trdscion
Double layer with something thicker, tighter woven or more absorbent then another type of glue for that. Or even if the 1st layer soaks up enough so it wont really bleed through the fabric you want to use. Just a guess, I've actually been wanting to do that also.
THANKS!! I think I might try that.... The fabric store nearby actually has something called blackout, I just don't know how it's going to hold up in the long run.. The lady at the fabric store said fabric specific glue should hold up so we'll see...