Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

A-pillar creak?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 03:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, mine was $22,000 when i left the dealership too. I ment the actual cost of the car is only $15,500. The stuff that goes on to it and the tax, title ect. does not effect the price of the car, just the size of the loan ;). Car is still $15,500 (or 16,000 if you have an auto).
Old 07-26-2007, 06:11 PM
SL Member

How did the right a-pillar creak get moved over to the left side?
Old 07-26-2007, 08:21 PM
SL Member

This "creak" has legs. This topic tread started at driver's A-pillar. Since then, others report it on passenger's A-pillar, and still others at B-pillar.

The creakining is annoying only becuse all else on this box is so rock-solid quiet. Not like my soon-to-be-gone '95 VW GTI-VR6.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just tried to listen for the creaking sound...

Driving in circles quickly either direction... Accelerating etc...

I couldn't hear anything. The only creaking-like sound I could make was opening and closing the driver's door. But I think that was probably a spring or something. A somewhat normal sound you'd expect to hear when messing with doors.

I have 1200 miles on mine.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its the right passenger-side A-pillar that creaks for me. It doesn't bother me though. I'm finally getting my stereo installed this weekend if all goes well and I'm sure the vibration is going to cancel out that creak.

Cheapchic - wow. You definatly are in the wrong car. Buy some good walking shoes imo. Any car you have is going to have growing noises. Any 3rd party shop you go to is going to tell you that something expensive is wrong that they could fix for you for a "nominal fee".

I loved the sky is falling reference. Classic!

It definatly is not a "MAJOR ENG DEFECT" becaues i can push on it with my pointer finger and the noise stops. Its clearly just a vibration that is causing the plastic to move enough to produce that "ticky clicky" sound. This, contrary to Cheapchic's sources, will not cause your car to explode, and/or melt your face.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member

Default Driver side A pillar creak..

My Dealer has had the car for 7 hours investigating the creak now.
I decided to take it in as it seemed like the creak would manifest itself when the chassis is being "flexed", i.e. accelerating and turning in tight spots.
Leads me to believe it is the worrying weld problem.
If it was a simple plastic against plastic rubbing then it it should creak over every bump.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Driver side A pillar creak..

Originally Posted by choppy101
Leads me to believe it is the worrying weld problem.
Well if you get a pic of that "weld problem" post it up. Nobody has been able to produce a pic yet.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:13 AM
5 Year Member

Default a pillar continued...

Well, I've got a loaner overnight, they were still playing with the car and they don't know how long it's going to take!
After removing the dashboard etc, they've now identified the problem to be near the firewall on the driver's side rather than the A Pillar.
I'll post when I find out more and try to get a picture if possible.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They won't find the problem... it is a major repair process....

They will have to tear apart the whole fender and front support assemply to correct it.

AND GET THIS, IT WILL TAKE A PROFESSINAL WELDER TO FIX IT.

DON'T LET A ROOKIE UNTRAINED WELDER FIX IT, YOU WILL HAVE IT POP AGAIN DOWN THE ROAD.

I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER SCION OR TOYOTA PRODUCT AGAIN.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cheap chic you are so full of it.

Just go away unless you can produce proof that you are dumb enough to have somebody besides the dealer try to do a welding repair on a brand new car with a manufacturing defect that is under warranty. You would have to be a fool to do that since it would void your warranty and leave you no recourse with Toyota.

If you have damage to your car and Toyota/ Scion can't or won't fix it, it is because you did something to it. That is the only way you could be in that situation.

Take your "sky is falling" baloney and move on.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by roXor_boXor
Cheap chic you are so full of it.

Just go away unless you can produce proof that you are dumb enough to have somebody besides the dealer try to do a welding repair on a brand new car with a manufacturing defect that is under warranty. You would have to be a fool to do that since it would void your warranty and leave you no recourse with Toyota.

If you have damage to your car and Toyota/ Scion can't or won't fix it, it is because you did something to it. That is the only way you could be in that situation.

Take your "sky is falling" baloney and move on.
I would not call someone full of it, unless you know all the facts. I am trying to help people here. Enought said, go crawl in your hole, if you read these post you would see a similar problem....

my last post...
Old 08-02-2007, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by n2htwlz
Whoa.. I will be listening close for this. I havent heard anyone here in Az yet with this noise.
AZ car here - creak started at 1200 miles, now at 1500 miles, major rattle now as it is getting worse, behind dash on passenger side near pillar, I guess the left side will be next from what I hear. Bummer as even with the stereo on, can still hear it!

I had one of the original Mini's here in Az in 2002, the 7th one delivered, still have the T-shirt #7 Mini, anyway it had similar rattles behind the dash and also in the sun roof and North Scottsdale Mini fixed them and they never came back, hopefully Toyota will have a fix for this because the rattle is so loud and irritating and especially if the left side starts as well. The Mini rattles were also all over the forum boards and BMW quickly responded with fixes.

1st Japanese car ever, I've always been told never buy a new designed car at the start of the year till the assembly line finds all the faults and fixes them for later in the year or in year 2. It was true for the Mini and appears to be true here for the xB as well
Old 08-02-2007, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by delro
picking up the XB today after being in the shops for 2days. The technician told me that it was not a welding flaw, but the positioning of one of the panels under the fender. So, that sounds a lot better than a welding problem.
is it fixed now? did they give you a loaner for the 2 days? thanks
Old 08-02-2007, 10:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mines at 700 miles and iv got the creak coming.. its not super loud as some people are saying.. but its a creak and its not plastic on plastic b/c like someone else said its only at turns and start/stops .. not on any bumps iv tested it on all kinds of terrain (not like 4x4 stuff!!...lol) and it dosnt creak unless its a turn or im stoping kindof hard or starting kindof fast... I guess its more when the body rolls alittle? .. not when it hits bumps.

.. guess i should take it in?... I just hope they dont screw up my car...
Old 08-03-2007, 08:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its definatly just a plastic creak. while my wife was driving around i simply rested my hand in different places. It's just the pillar plastic rubbing on the dash plastic (at least in my car). Gonna check it out if im ever bored enough, but meh.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:04 AM
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I think mine is the same thing. I get to different rattles.. one near the pass. A-pillar and one near the right middle vent / guage cluster. Both I can stop if I just put a little pressure with my hands near the source of the rattle. Plan on doing a fix on it when I pull the stereo out later this month.

On another note...CheapChic makes these comments based on what seems like one experience on a brand new 1st release (and very early) year of a brand new vehicle. They have problems that need to be corrected. I had the same issues on two other vehicles I purchased brand new (both NON toyota vehicles)

On the other hand, this is my third toyota product and I have had the best reliability and build quality with them over all my other vehicles. I've owned Mazda, VW, Jeep, Ford, and Mitsubishi. So I hope others don't let her 1 opinion on her new xB discourage them from enjoying this great unique vehicle.

If there are some build problems toyota will get them solved, this is a new top selling vehicle for them.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:31 AM
5 Year Member

Default Dashboard

Day 3 in the loaner.. Still no information about the problem.
I picked up some stuff from the car today and saw the whole dashboard, glovebox, speedo removed.
Be warned, if you do take the car in they will remove everything to track the problem down.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I went thru the same thing with my 05 tC. The hatch and moonroof rattled unbelievably. Toyo put out some whack TSB's where dealers simply put small felt pieces to mask the rattles. I was good friends with one of the Techs and she told me straight up that Toyo would never really fix the problem. Toyo made some changes for the 06-07's and the complaints seem to have gone down.

Based on this and having owned 2 Scions in my life, I arrived at 2 conclusions:
1) Never buy a 1st year production car and
2) Scions are ridiculously cheap cars
Old 08-08-2007, 03:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CheapChic
AND GET THIS, IT WILL TAKE A PROFESSINAL WELDER TO FIX IT.

Damn..I don't know any professional welders, all the welders I know are maintaining their amatuer status so they can compete in the Olympics
Old 08-11-2007, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by L4rry_B1rd
Based on this and having owned 2 Scions in my life, I arrived at 2 conclusions:
1) Never buy a 1st year production car
then why you are on the 1st production year board for the xB if you have no interest in buying the new xB, other than just trolling around to say "I told you so"

Quick Reply: A-pillar creak?