Notices

Any options for a quicker ratio steering?

Old 12-25-2015, 06:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Any options for a quicker ratio steering?

After driving one of favorite long and windy drives, my arms were really tired of sawing back and forth. This trek is about 50 miles of none stop fun. In my jetta, I can put one hand on the top of the wheel and do the whole thing one handed, never doing more than a half turn. I couldn't count how many times I had to go hand over hand in the XB2. This was the first chance I had to really give the bars and springs a thrashing. Not bad, wish I had a camera car/bike behind me to see how many times the box lifted a wheel in a corner like early GTIs.

Now it seems steering, seat and brakes are the issues now. I was hoping there would be a software mod for steering but in thinking about it, software would only control the feed back and tension. Ratio would still be governed by the rack and pinion. Wonder if there is anything in the international Toyota parts bin that would be tighter and fit the box.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks like from the way it is designed that software is the way to go in changing it.

Read up on it here;

Toyota Electric Power Steering (EPS)::Toyota-Alabama.comToyota News| Value |Toyota Tutorials
Old 12-29-2015, 02:41 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Greg S
Looks like from the way it is designed that software is the way to go in changing it.

Read up on it here;

Toyota Electric Power Steering (EPS)::Toyota-Alabama.comToyota News| Value |Toyota Tutorials
Thanks for the article. Pretty much what I expected. I'm sure Ford lovers are happy with Electric steering. I've known many people over years with leaky Ford power steering and pumps that die with regularity.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Repair costs are not fun though. My girlfriend's son had to replace the one on his Mazda3 a little while ago and it ran $800 for a new one to be put in by my mechanic, would have been a lot more at the dealer. I'll check with him when he gets back from vacation to see if he knows of any way to reprogram the Toyota unit for better ratios for canyon driving.