Notices
Scion xD Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

'09 Scion xD - Losing power/burning plastic and manure smell!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 10:15 PM

Default '09 Scion xD - Losing power/burning plastic and manure smell!

Hey guys,

I drive a manual 2009 Scion xD with 148,000k miles. I just had my car at the shop about a month ago to have the spark plugs replaced and I've noticed a significant decrease in power when trying to take off or climb hills since. No recent oil change, it's due in another 1K. The clutch hasn't been acting up but I know it's probably about due to be replaced but I think I can hold off until summer when I have more time. I have a newer battery but it corrodes a lot so I've been trying to keep that cleaned off and need to get some gel for it. I've had the same 5 Error Codes pop up (can post Specific Codes later, but I believe they are P043E, P043F, P2401, P2402 & P2419). The Codes relate to the evaporative emission system - I've researched this, seems to be a defect in the seal of the connecting pieces that allows water to get into the charcoal canister (it rains a lot in Pacific NW, and I was driving in a heavy storm when it first came on so this makes sense). From what I've read this shouldn't cause any major problems, but can affect mileage and emissions. I haven't had time to fix it, but now with this whole corona shutdown I'll have time to take a more thorough look this week. The codes are always the same, I can turn them off but then when I get gas the check engine light comes back on immediately, so I'm thinking a new gas cap would be wise also.

NOW, the real issue! In the last week when I'm getting on the gas to get up hills or taking off quickly, I smell burning plastic and cow manure and I'm at a loss for what could be going on. My initial thought was back up in the exhaust? No new Error Codes running, and no other symptoms other than the power loss. Honestly I haven't had time to look into the new issue because spring break started yesterday and I'm stuck at work for a 12 today, but I know there's not a plastic sack of cow poop stuck under my car, and I only smell it when I get on the gas. I parked it 2 days ago and have been driving my truck because it honestly makes me a bit nervous until I know more about what's going on. Posting this feels a little premature, but I just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts or experience with this so I'd have a direction to start in tomorrow or Monday.

Thanks in advance!

*Moved to Correct Forum by Administrator

Sticky Where to Post Your Question

Sticky How To Advanced Search SL (Scion Life)

Last edited by MR_LUV; 03-22-2020 at 02:10 AM. Reason: Moved to Correct Forum by Administrator